PDA

View Full Version : Changing litter...

Squirrel
05-04-2011, 07:53 AM
As Cloud is now getting a little older, I'm wondering about changing to a clumping litter with her.

Any thoughts as to how best to do so, and what brands are the best ones? I know I may have to try a few to find one she likes, but... She's on wood pellets right now, and am wondering if something that's not dusty would be easier to clear up.

Thanks all.

angieh
05-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi Squirrel! Pip uses Cat's Best. (http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_group.asp?dept_id=519&pg_id=1553) I like it because I find there is less odour and it is compostable and flushable. Pip hasn't complained about it. His tray is in the utility room and there is a door mat. I haven't found any tracking at all which may be an issue with other litters as Pip has webbed paws. I generally get mine from Petplanet.

dandysmom
05-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Can't comment, my cats didn't like the clumping litter. nor did I.

niki71uk
05-04-2011, 04:05 PM
depends where u get it,i used to get clumping at asda,but it clumped like concrete and lots was wasted,went through a bag too quickly

i use the catsan now as u can flush that,neither cat minds

i didnt like the wood pellets as the smell of wood and pee was too much:shock:

Kim
05-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I would never use anything other than clumping litter, much easier to clean up! Cats seem fine with it. I use OkoPlus Wood Pellet cat litter.

Velvet
06-04-2011, 12:12 AM
I did use clumping litter until I broke two plastic scoops trying to get it off the bottom of the litter tray, stuck like super glue and this was no matter how deep the litter was. Tried quite a few litters - some were awful - fine toned it down to Catsan or Thomas.

Stay clear of clay type litters are they are very hard to work with

Then a friend told me about Pets at Home own Ultrabrite cat litter and it is very good. Little to no dust and you dont get smells from it. They sell different sizes - the larger the bag the better value. I cant carry the very big bags so tend to go for the smaller ones

Squirrel
06-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks everyone. It's been good hearing what everyone thinks of clumping litter... Guess am going to just have to try and see what works - esp with wee one.

Am also hoping to trial out some litter tray liners again, so hope that I'll have the chance to just remove the bag if such things are a problem... If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, and I can put that down as another failed experiment. Have already had plenty of those along the way!!!