PDA

View Full Version : vocal cats

niki71uk
25-03-2011, 04:53 PM
ive probably put this out b4 but in a different way but...................

why r some cats vocal and others aren't?

my 16 yr old cat(male) is quite vocal,my younger 3yr old cat(female) hardly cries at all,and only for biscuits,she has a squeeky pathetic cry,where as his is a very demanding loud cry

Elaine
25-03-2011, 05:09 PM
http://www.petplace.com/cats/cats-that-talk-and-talk-dealing-with-hypervocalization/page1.aspx

http://www.catdocmaine.com/purrsonality/vocal_quiet.html

pamela81
25-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Harris is really vocal most of the time, Skye only when she wants something

niki71uk
25-03-2011, 06:43 PM
mibbe its a male thing then lol.

lynz85
25-03-2011, 09:44 PM
pip always makes funny noises, he does a great one while running up the stairs!

Shelley123
25-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Our two boys are the strong silent types, mostly.
However once we go to bed i sometimes hear Tom crying quite loudly, it almost sounds as if he's speaking.
Tom also makes this pathetic little screaming sound when i pour his cat milk, not very manly at all :D

jacks
25-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Minnie is very vocal.(shes sometimes known as mouth almighty):lol: She meows all the time.I think we actually have conversations.:D Even when shes asleep she snores and growls when shes dreaming.

Squirrel
25-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Cloud can be quite vocal at certain times... First thing in the morning if she thinks am not up early enough (hence the black out blind to take away some of the light!), when she wants me to play with her, and when she's twigged that I'm sorting out food for her tend to be the main times that she 'calls' me.

Mind you, for all that, I gave her some meat earlier on, and she chose to eat the kibble. And she's got some untouched cat milk sitting there. I rarely buy her it - she likes one dose well enough, or maybe half of the first dose, but then can't really seem to be bothered with most of the rest of it.

Velvet
26-03-2011, 02:55 AM
You only have to walk past Tim and he purrs loudly :) Quite frequently he makes wee chirping / trilling sort of noises. He has a pretty loud yowl as well :) Amber has a softer high pitched yowl and she is very very persistent if she wants something and you are not quick enough to get it for her :)

calismum
26-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Breagh is very quiet, I hear the odd miaow. She is a great purrer.

Izzi is very vocal, demands food, cuddles, attention, doors opened etc by a variety of miaows and yowls. I locked her in the utility room yesterday by accident and she was almost screaming in temper!! She also chirrups when coming to the call of her name. Also a great bird chirruper but a different one from the 'coming Mum' one.

angieh
26-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Kizzy is definitely a chirruper mostly in greeting and has a huge purr. Sometimes a wee chatter while watching the birds but mostly her mouth moves but she is silent, presumably doesn't want the birds to notice her!

Pip is a grunter - it's a strange sound a bit like a quack. He also gives a short miaow if he doesn't know where we are. Only really growls if he has prey.

Velvet.Tears
26-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Gizmo is extremely vocal. he walks around the house meowing to himself haha. Tiger can be noisy when she wants to be. Magic makes barely any noise as does Muffin who barely makes a squeak and Smokey is average really sometimes he will meow sometimes he won't.

Hreow
29-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Rover was always vocal. We think it started when he came home with us and discovered that he could hear his own voice when he was calling for the other seven kittens and ten adult cats he was used to. ^_^ (It was a good start in life - very contented and amiable troupe of cats, his first family. Just not quiet. ^^)

babycakes
29-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Denis never shuts up!!! lol
I have got to recognise his cries now tho and know if its for a cuddle, to go out, food. but he will stand in front of me and cry and cry and cry as if to say 'I can keep this going you know' and boy can he just!!!