PDA

View Full Version : Olivers on his last warning!

Netty
22-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Last night, at 1.30 in the morning, I heard Oliver in the bathroom scuttling about. I thought, here we go again, hes got another bird. As soon as he heard me coming, he started growling and shot down the stairs and outside. After checking to see that he hadnt left his "toy" behind, I looked out and saw him in the garden running around after something. The neighbours had come out to see what it was he was chasing. It wasnt a bird nor a mouse. It was a frog! Neighbours were so amused to see this. I wasnt, I couldnt help but wonder if he would bring it back in. About an hour later, I heard him in the loo again, but he didnt run this time. He had a dead mouse. So that was it, there was to be no sleep for me the rest of the night! Im terrified he brings a live one in and it escapes from him and decides to nest somewhere. I never had this bother with my other cats, they never showed much interest in birds or mice or even frogs.

cats' staff
22-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Oh dear, it may help to keep him in at night as dawn and dusk are the time cats catch most prey. This isn't infallible and we are hoping Tolly leaves the rabbits alone this year. We are threatening an even bigger bell on his collar- maybe a cow bell would slow him down!

lynz85
22-03-2011, 09:41 PM
a frog!! :shock: what a boy!! it is awful when they bring live animals into the house my mums cat does it all the time. is it a cat flap that you have for him?

angieh
22-03-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm very much afraid that Kizzy and Pip are members of this gang - it's particularly horrid at night. Keeping them in is the only foolproof answer but you'd have to put up with the yowling to get out and the scratching and whatever tactics they decide to employ to make you let them out.

Netty
22-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Yes it is a catflap. The only problem is that Benny comes and goes and if I was to lock the flap, he wouldnt get in. Mind you, it was quite funny watching him darting and leaping after this thing and like I said , the neighbours enjoyed it too! I'm sure frogs would be quite foul tasting, so I think if he broke their skin, he wouldnt chase them again! Where on earth is he finding the frogs. Id love to put a camera on him and record where he goes at night!!!

cats' staff
22-03-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm very much afraid that Kizzy and Pip are members of this gang - it's particularly horrid at night. Keeping them in is the only foolproof answer but you'd have to put up with the yowling to get out and the scratching and whatever tactics they decide to employ to make you let them out.

They do seem to settle to it but it gets harder to keep them in when the evenings are lighter. Our lot just snooze at night now and only rarely make a fuss to get out and that is usually if someting is out there that gets their attention. There was of course the (in)famous occasion Tolly headbutted his way through the locked cat door to chase off a fox........

Netty
22-03-2011, 11:15 PM
It really would be the end for Oliver if he tried messing with foxes!! Another thing that gets him going are bumblebees. I tried to tell him it would sting him (but he doesnt understand (lol)). He will if he ever catches one!!

angieh
22-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Pip was playing with a bumblebee today - it was a big queen and I just had to go and rescue it. Luckily it seemed unharmed. I have a flowerpot and a feather as my rescue kit. I am particularly fond of bumblebees and so, unfortunately, is Pip!

Velvet
23-03-2011, 02:10 AM
Oops, hope froggy got away unscathed.....

calismum
23-03-2011, 12:21 PM
The picture of him chasing the frog made me smile.

We were just saying it would be so much fun if you could put a wee camera on their collars! A day in the life of a catsey cat!

angieh
23-03-2011, 01:04 PM
The picture of him chasing the frog made me smile.

We were just saying it would be so much fun if you could put a wee camera on their collars! A day in the life of a catsey cat!

They can do it with birds, why not a cat? What a grand research project for someone!

paulinef2
23-03-2011, 02:36 PM
you can get cameras for cats at i want one of those.com, I'm absolutely that's where I saw them

Velvet.Tears
23-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Yes you can get cameras that attach to the collars they are very tiny I have seen them before.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_carriers_travel/cat_fashion/189183

babycakes
23-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Frogs freak Denis out because of the scream they give off and the fact that they play possum

angieh
23-03-2011, 09:59 PM
What a nifty bit of kit - I wonder how easily lost it would be, given my Pip loses collars so very frequently! It would be great though to see things through a cat's eyes ..... I'm almost tempted, maybe if I come into some money I don't need!!!

Netty
27-03-2011, 12:29 PM
It was a mole this morning! So far its been birds, mice, frogs, bees and now moles!!!! Oh and last night it was a centipede. Where is he finding these things?

angieh
27-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Netty, you ought to invite some of those nature watch people to your place. It is now becoming an endangered habitat thanks to Oliver.

Netty
27-03-2011, 07:42 PM
If I did that, they would issue him with an ASBO!!!

lynz85
27-03-2011, 07:45 PM
a mole :shock: :shock:

did he bring it in with him!!?

Netty
27-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Oh yes but hubby hunted him before he reached the stairs! For some reason he wants to take his kill into the bathroom, god knows why, maybe its the sound of it hitting the lino when hes tossing it about.

lynz85
27-03-2011, 07:53 PM
ugh what a naughty boy, i thought my mums cat was bad for killing things but oliver wins hands down!!

angieh
27-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Poor little moley ...... I remember next door's cats would sit for days watching a mole hill. So far, luckily mine haven't .....

paulinef2
27-03-2011, 08:06 PM
My friend used to think there was something wrong with Tiger because he hunted so much! His record was five birds in two days and if something died before he got it home I think that was accidental! He also took him a mouse which looked distinctly like it was someone's pet :(

Netty
27-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Oliver now kills his before he brings them in (apart from the frog, that is!). He knows I will try to get them off him if they are still alive. I think the frog came from the neighbours pond tho, havent told them about it!!

paulinef2
27-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Tiger would come in with half dead pigeons and dump them at my feet and then he would lie down. I think he must have thought the reason I'd get upset is cos he'd killed them! Had to restrict his access to the livingroom as cos he killed a bird and plucked it, there was feathers from one end of the livingroom to the next. Gotta love them lol

jacks
27-03-2011, 09:29 PM
All these pressies your little monsters are bringing you:lol:
Luckily Minnie has never caught anything.I think shes to much of a scardey cat.If the birds squawk at her when shes in the garden she runs in :)
But i suppose you never know,she might surprise me one day.

Squirrel
27-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Cloud has no chance - she's an indoor cat, and seems terrified of the open door! However, she was very much entranced by some tits (I think!) on the telephone wire this morning...

Netty
27-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Pauline - The same thing happened when Oliver brought 1 of his first birds in, there were feathers everywhere - in the living room, stairs and bathroom. I didnt think they could come from just 1 wee bird!! I watched him from the kitchen window one day and he was inching towards a seagull which had landed on our fence, now that would make a mess!!

Squirrel - thats how it starts, then the cacking, then the present!!!!