PDA

View Full Version : Is it easier?

niki71uk
08-03-2011, 06:37 PM
is it easier to introduce another cat to an already resident cat,if the cat is female or male?

as in if ur resident cat is male and ur new cat is female and vice versa

pamela81
08-03-2011, 07:31 PM
i have just introduced a female cat into my house which there is a male resident cat (about 2weeks ago). They have had a few spats but after 2weeks they are settling down. We went for a female because we thought they would be less likely to fight. As i say, they have had their moments but are settling down. The cats protection agreed with us when we said the reasons for getting a female. We were also told that if we introduced a cat that was larger in size to teh already resident cat, The resident cat would be more likely to be intimidated and feel threatened regardless of it being male or female. Hope that helps???

niki71uk
08-03-2011, 07:38 PM
forgot to say,if the redident cat its quite a lot older too

niki71uk
08-03-2011, 07:40 PM
oops resident **:oops:

angieh
08-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Kizzy, female was an only cat for about 5 months and was between 1 - 2 years when we introduced 9 week old Pip, male. There was a bit of hissing, but nothing very bad and they soon became friends. I did put little Pip in a crate at night just before we went to bed, just in case. They could obviously see each other but because he was so small I felt better knowing he was safe.

Best thing I could have done for Kizzy as she has become a much more relaxed and happy cat.

niki71uk
08-03-2011, 09:21 PM
tobys 16 and cass is nearly 3,so maybe age difference was a bit to long,she still likes jumping on toby,he just lies there looking confused!!!!

dandysmom
08-03-2011, 09:22 PM
My experience has been that the new cat be opposite sex to the resident; also it helps if the new cat is actually a kitten. Latter isn't always possible, though. Be sure to pay a lot of extra attention to the resident; expect some hissing, spiting and minor swatting. The crate at night for the newbie is a good idea if you have any qualms, Niki. Good luck!!

niki71uk
08-03-2011, 09:25 PM
lol ive had cass since she was 6 wks old:lol: so basically ive had her all her life

fancyabrew
10-03-2011, 10:18 AM
We've had Marmaduke for two months now and he is 5 months old, but he is still stalking and attacking Chloe A LOT, he just won't leave her alone. We hope that when he has his trip to the vets in a month or two that he will calm down a bit