PDA

View Full Version : Canny Beastie!

Squirrel
05-03-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm going to have to learn that I cannot leave the treats which Cloud loves the best (almost the only ones she eats now, but seeing they mainly dried meat stuff it's not too terrible!) on any level she can get at in this room... Yesterday I discovered the chicken strips in one box she was at - well maulled and she'd had some, and this morning, the chicken and bacon rolls which had gone missing before the others was discovered by way of her dilligently chewing through two of them which she fetched from another box!!! Packet in similar condition!

On the positive side, she did come and scare a spider down the bath plug hole for me when I was failing to remove it with my glass-and-paper method. Was about to retire for a bit and wait to try again, and she thought she'd hone her hunting instincts.

That was a canny beastie too... it stareted off playing dead at one point, and only my poking at it with my paper woke it up again! And then I went away, and when I came back, littley was concentrating all her attention on the plug hole!

dandysmom
05-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Funny story about the treats! I've learned to keep food behind doors that clever paws can't open .... Leia's quite good at that sort of thing!

And well done her with the spider! You're kind to do the glass and paper bit ... I do that with wasps/bees ...... spiders get promptly squashed!! :mrgreen:

Squirrel
05-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Funny story about the treats! I've learned to keep food behind doors that clever paws can't open .... Leia's quite good at that sort of thing!

And well done her with the spider! You're kind to do the glass and paper bit ... I do that with wasps/bees ...... spiders get promptly squashed!! :mrgreen:

My Dad does the squashed bit with spiders... I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to spiders and just can't bring myself to touch them, even through a bit of tissue. I have days when they don't bother me, and are evicted easily. More often than not though it's a challenge to do it nicely, and sometimes I resort to drowning them. This time I was going to try again, but wee one saved me the bother!!!

Certainly, chasing insects and similar gains her brownie points! :-D

Shelley123
05-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Cloud was just taking her wages for Spider hunting early ;)

angieh
05-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Hooray for Cloud! I don't like spiders and generally can count on Kizzy or Pip now to do the dirty work for me. I cannot intentionally kill spiders myself and have to resort to a beer mat and a glass. Really (I keep telling myself) they can't harm me and do no end of good keeping down the fly population. I see there is a bit of kit you can buy now which helps catch them with a tube and a holder .... might buy one and see if it works.

lynz85
05-03-2011, 10:48 PM
go cloud :D

i have a funny story about my old cat mondo(why do we say old it sounds yukky?)

he was upstairs sleeping when this HUGE thing on giant legs started running towards the couch, the only thing i had closeby was a plastic cup so i managed to get that over the top and left it for the OH to get when he came in. i can do medium sized spiders but the things with the long legs i cannot!!
mondo came down about 10 mins later and had a sniff around the cup and moved it slightly with his nose, to which he heard the spider moving around. he was circling it sniffing, i said to him, you really dont want to see whats under there!!
of course he knocked the cup over and the spider went running straight towards him, he started running backwards :lol:
when he got over his shock he caught the thing, he was a good wee spider catcher :p

pip has yet to meet a big spider, there was a very small one the other day and he just followed it about :lol: