PDA

View Full Version : Poor wee Cloudly - maybe an indoor cat

Squirrel
26-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Well! I decided that seeing I've heard so many stories of cats preferring harnesses to boxes for travelling with, that I'd see how cloud took to it. Vet trips would be far easier if she wasn't crying all the way there and back again to get out of her box!

So I ordered a travel harness online, and proceeded to try her out with it. Of course, not being used to it as yet (and Mummy being a bit ham fisted at it, not being sure how best to put it on) it was a bit of a trial yesterday, and we had a few disagreements over it - though it did go on for a short time once or twoce. This mornings performance shows that it is still a bit loose, but that possibly a good thing for the moment!

Yesterday I was chewed upon a few times - gently. Methinks someone was looking to express her displeasure at the practice! Unfortunately the latest treats I've tried her on have not gone down well, so that part of it was a bit of a failure - will need to get some of her absolute favourites (Bob Martin treats I can get in Morrisons) when I'm next at work on Tues.

Having read up on Eileens experiences, I decided to try and see what she thought about going out in the big outside world with the harness on. So with needing to post off her chip registration, I decided to take us both down to the nearest postbox (about 2 mins away) and see how that went.

Harness on, with a bit of wriggling, I picked her up, and took her outside. Walked a bit to get out of the garden (there is a dog downstairs who is regularly out there), and put her gently down on the path on the right side of the road to go to the post box.

My poor wee girl crouched down and started to shake - in a way I've never seen her do - her back legs did a little after she got home post surgery, but this was completely different to that.

Anyway, I picked her up, held her close and posted my letter before bringing her back home. She slowly recovered her confidence on the way back - enough to start looking around from the safety of my arms.

I guess she might get a bit more confidence with that big world out there over time, but my guess is that she'll never be totally confident with it.

Since we've been home, I've petted her, furminated her a bit as she likes that, and she now seems to be settling down for a bit of a sleep.

Poor baby girlie - might try her in the car with the harness on, but outside doesn't seem to be a treat for her, even if she does sometimes call at the windows!

angieh
26-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Don't give up Squirrel! She's had a lot to cope with in the last few days, what with vets and op and so on. She's young and it's all very new and frightening.

I remember taking little Pip out on a harness in our garden before he was neutered. He was scared, sat on my foot with paws up my leg .... "Pick me up Mummy!", after that, although he would never agree to being a harnessed cat he began to get courage but was always better when Kizzy was with him. Now, although he has recently had a bit of a scare, he goes out on his own - we live down a bridlepath and are semi rural and can be independent when he wants.

It may be that you don't want or can't let Cloud live like that, but just remember how young she is and keep on with the harness even just indoors for the time being.

Cuddles for Cloud and Good Luck - hope her chewing of your fingers doesn't get too over enthusiastic!

Velvet
26-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Bless her, ive had TIM in garden on a harness, he was ok but didnt ventute far. Im keeping them in until i find out whether he can have his booster or not. If he cant dont think it would be fair to let him out to take it away if he cant get booster protection each year:(

Squirrel
26-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Poor Tim. Remind me why he might not be able to have the booster Velvet?

Whether or not I'll take her out for walks occasionally remains to be seen. I can't really let her out as and when, cause I've no cat flap, and the door can't take one (also house rented, so...) And the dog downstairs is out in the garden, though he'd apparently be OK with her. It's mostly just as an experiment to see if she'd prefer harness to box for travelling with. If the answer is box then that's fine, but I felt it might be worthwhile giving it a try - might also check out other harness types - this one is OK for now as it goes nowhere near her scar... (here's the zooplus image of what I got her: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_carriers_travel/harnesses/78255) As she gets better I can try out other versions with the special belt - I quite like the look of the figure of eight ones, similar in design to the ones by Ancol - though I could do without the diamante detailing! (though I admit am not sure how that goes on either, nor do I know how practical they would be!!!) Will need a real lead for future if I do take her out properly - today I used a couple of shoe laces tied together as that was more than enough!

Think what I'll do is take her in car in box, and if she complains at that (as she often does), I'll see how she feels at my changing it to the harness - though that will be in the back seat!!!

dandysmom
26-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Poor wee girlie. A lot of new scary things in her young life lately. I wouldn't give up just yet; but then she may be one of the strange cats who are really scared of outdoors,

My friend who lived in an apartment had a lovely indoor blue Persian. When he bought a house he took her outside in the fenced in back garden thinking she's love it, and she was terrified .... crawled on her belly to the door, shaking.... so sad; she never would go out. And my Leia for some reason is also afraid of outdoors: never attempted to go out the door except the one time she dashed out in a rage after Onyx the little stray I was taking care of. She suddenly realized she was in the great scary outdoors with no ceiling over her; fled under the porch and I had the devil of a time getting her out and back in the safe house. She's my only cat who's not harness trained.

Give her a cuddle from across the Pond from me .....

calismum
26-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Poor wee soul. I have similar problems with Izzi who is very worried about outside.

I have the opposite with Breagh - if she gets out she just goes, and goes ......

I agree though - don't give up, 1st time is generally a really scarey one for them.

Squirrel
26-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Well, we've got the harness on again - and she was very good about my putting it on this time. And she's playing a few games with it on... think she finds moving a bit awkward in some ways, and can't be sure that some of the games aren't about seeing if she can get it off, but...

I think we may leave the big world outside for the moment, until she's a bit more comfortable with the harness on, though I may yet see if she'd prefer that to the box for traveling to and from places. Vet trips I may well still take the box as I think she'll probably feel more secure in there while in the waiting room!