PDA

View Full Version : Ban All Animal-Tested Cosmetics in the EU!

angieh
15-02-2011, 12:20 PM
(from Care2.com)

In 2009, the European Union pledged to ban the sale of all new animal-tested cosmetics in the EU by 2013. Three animal tests are still allowed until that deadline, including:

- repeat dose toxicity, in which rabbits or rats eat, inhale, or are rubbed with substances every 28 or 90 days;
- reproductive toxicity, in which pregnant rabbits or rats are force-fed substances;
- toxicokinetics, in which rabbits or rats are forced to eat a substance and then killed so their organs can be examined.

After every one of these tests, the animals are killed.

Under the original plan, these tests would be banned by the 2013 deadline so the sale of ALL new animal-test cosmetics would be prohibited in the EU. But the cosmetic industry officials want this deadline delayed further, possibly for another ten years.

Tell European leaders to keep the 2013 deadline to ban the sale of all new animal-tested cosmetics in the EU

Please go to this link and sign the petition -

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/833/238/375/

JBalways2000
17-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks for posting this Angie, i feel very strongly about animal testing and reading there about the tests that are still allowed made me so sad :( i shall be signing the petition now! lets hope the 2013 deadline stands, even with that thats 2 more years of poor animals suffering for no reason:( but its better then the alternative!

angieh
17-02-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm sure all of us who love our animals would not want to see any animals suffering so needlessly.

Actually I did not know that animal testing was still going on in the cosmetic industry - so many firms nowadays advertise their products as being not tested on animals. I hope they are telling the truth.

JBalways2000
17-02-2011, 07:08 PM
I'm sure all of us who love our animals would not want to see any animals suffering so needlessly.

Actually I did not know that animal testing was still going on in the cosmetic industry - so many firms nowadays advertise their products as being not tested on animals. I hope they are telling the truth.

If a product is BUAV approved then it definately isnt tested on animals and the ingredients used to make the product wont have been either as they have to obide by a cut off date. If a company states not tested on animals but not BUAV approved i would say this is true but they may be using ingredients that have only just stopped being tested on animals. I would still buy from these companies as it encourages other companies to stop testing ingredients if they know big names will use them if that makes sense. maybe going on the BUAV website would explain it better then me:oops: :lol:

http://www.buav.org/

Phoenix
17-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I've signed it angie.

angieh
17-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks for that link JB - that's good to know. That's a really good website and I see the petition is on there too.

Thanks for signing, RCR.

If either of you have friends you think would like to sign, please forward the link to them any way you can!

dandysmom
17-02-2011, 09:24 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see you didn't have to be a EU resident to sign ...:D

angieh
17-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I guess all sorts of cosmetics are shipped all over the world Eileen - from all sorts of places.

lynz85
17-02-2011, 10:26 PM
signed it! how horrible that we are still testing on animals needlessly :(

Velvet
18-02-2011, 01:54 AM
Signed. .