PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading at the moment ?

Shelley123
13-02-2011, 08:30 PM
I am reading a book i bought at the charity shop last week.
Yes sister, No sister by Jennifer Craig.
It's a memoir of being a student nurse in the 1950's at Leeds Infirmary.
It's a good book and a bargain at £1.00 :lol:

pamela81
13-02-2011, 08:41 PM
im in the middle of readinga James Higgins book called The Key to Hell, not as bad as it sounds!! Its a crime book. Im also trying to read stephen kings Under the Dome aswell which is a hard going read!!! I have read just about ever other one of his books

Kazz
13-02-2011, 08:58 PM

i've read that too good book I like that sort of book semi autobiographies. I am not reading anything at the moment, just finished The Red Queen by Phillipa Gregory.

dandysmom
13-02-2011, 09:15 PM
The Swarm. a sci-fi thriller (free) on the Kindle.

Phoenix
13-02-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm reading "Alone in Berlin" by Hans Fallada. It's based on a true story about a couple of people who resisted against the Nazi regime.

Shelley123
13-02-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm reading "Alone in Berlin" by Hans Fallada. It's based on a true story about a couple of people who resisted against the Nazi regime.

That sounds interesting RCR, have you read escape from Sorbibor that was a tremendous book.

Shelley123
13-02-2011, 09:33 PM
The Swarm. a sci-fi thriller (free) on the Kindle.

scary ..............

angieh
13-02-2011, 09:34 PM
I am still trying to finish The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - just got stuck and watched the tv production - wondering if the book finishes the same way .....

Just started House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Xmas present) and also reading an info book on Miniature Schnauzers!!!

EmmaG
13-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Reading Stephen king under the dome, which is ok at the moment although it is a long book. Hubby enjoyed it. Also got the treatment by mo hayder to read.

Kazz
13-02-2011, 09:46 PM
I have recently read,
Stephen Fry "Moab is my washpot" and really enjoyed it, very honest.
Kathryn Harrison "The binding chair" set as the title suggests in China. Not easy to start then I got it and could not put it down.
Veronica Henry "the Beach Hut" really enjoyed that.

Kazz
13-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Reading Stephen king under the dome, which is ok at the moment although it is a long book. Hubby enjoyed it. Also got the treatment by mo hayder to read.

i have got Stephen King "Just after Sunset" and cannot get into that, maybe I will try again.

Kazz
13-02-2011, 09:49 PM

I also have her other book
Call the midwife if you want me to post it to you.

Not sure if you would be interested but I have quite a few of these type of books. Call the ambulance Les Pringle" etc etc.

Shelley123
13-02-2011, 10:10 PM
I also have her other book
Call the midwife if you want me to post it to you.

Not sure if you would be interested but I have quite a few of these type of books. Call the ambulance Les Pringle" etc etc.

That would be lovely, i do like medical books.

Kazz
13-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Will post ASAP.

dandysmom
13-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Angie, I hope you like House Rules, I thought it was a good. read. Kazz, will look for The Binding Chair, sounds as if it might be interesting, I like Chinese fiction.

lynz85
13-02-2011, 11:18 PM
im not reading anything at the moment, i dont really get a chance to read for leisure i have modules and case studys as a part of my work course thats been ruling my life for the last few years!

last thing that i read was the twilight saga books, and i read all 4 in a month!! when i get into something its hard for me to break off from it!

calismum
14-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Cats behaving badly - Celia Haddon
How to Photograph absolutley everything -
Private - James Paterson

Tink
14-02-2011, 01:22 AM
An Eagle Named Freedom

MrsH
14-02-2011, 02:24 PM
I've just finished Stephen Fry's follow on autobigraphy "The Fry Chronicles" I'm afarid I didn't much enjoy it, found it altogether too smug and self-satisfied, without much real interest. It absolutely infuriated me that he managed to survive and indeed prosper at Cambridge, getting a good degree whilst never attending any lectures! I'd have been booted out of my university if I'd done that!. It was a Christmas present so I had to read it really, but was glad when I reached the end!

EmmaG
16-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Well hubby bought me a Kindle for Valentines day - charged it yesterday and I am going to have a play lunchtime, need to buy a cover/sleeve for it though as I think I will mainly keep it in my handbag.

alexgirl73
16-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Well I've got a couple on the go at the moment :lol: I tend to pick up books and put them down in different rooms (always one beside the bath lol). I'm reading Patricia Cornwell 'The Scarpetta Factor', a M&B historical romance (they are my light and easy read books to fill in an hour or so, and the latest J.D Robb Eve Dallas mystery :D

angieh
04-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I'm asking for recommendations ..... just finished "Following Atticus" - brilliant and a real weepy.

Fancy a good Whodunnit ...........

angieh
04-02-2012, 09:35 PM
I've just downloaded CJ Sansom's Revelation as I've enjoyed the previous 3 Shardlake mysteries.

It's awfully easy to spend money downloading books for your Kindle ..... luckily, it's not expensive, but I could foresee a problem of getting too much stuff!!!

pamela81
05-02-2012, 05:36 PM
im reading third twilight book at the moment, :)

MrsH
05-02-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm currently reading Tom's Midnight Garden. Yes, I know it's a children's story but I enjoyed it many years ago while watching tv with my children so I thought I'd read the book too.

I've also just downloaded Before I go to Sleep by S J Watson, it's currently high in the paperback best seller list and it was only £2.70 for my Kindle.

pamela81
05-02-2012, 08:16 PM
that is such a good book MrsH!!! i love that story!!

Shelley123
05-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Tom's midnight garden, probably my favourite film and book.
I first watched it in the 60's at school. It was serialised and i remember sitting crossed legged on the floor in the tv room watching it. It's truly magical and i used to play at it.
There have been several versions since it was made in 1958 i think. I have a video of one made in the 80's but would love to find the original tv version. I still recall that moment when Tom goes down stairs and opens the back door to find the beautiful garden.
Thanks MrsH for taking me down memory lane :)
At the moment i'm reading a new book, Murder and Mystery on the Titanic, it's a non fiction book involving several stories about the crew and passengers.

cats' staff
05-02-2012, 09:01 PM
I love Tom's Midnight Garden.I think it is set round here somewhere as don't Tom and Hattie skate to Ely or Peterborough at one point?

If you like crime books Angie then I would recommend the Simon Serralier series by Susan Hill.

I am currently reading Bad Science by Ben Goldacre on the Kindle, Black Swan Green by David Mitchell is the 'current 'bath book' and I have just started An Equal Stillness by Francesca Kay from the library.

angieh
13-02-2012, 02:22 PM
I really enjoyed Revelation, so am now looking at other books to read (although I do have a p/back on the go, A Clash of Kings, the 2nd in the Song of Ice and Fire series). I caught the TV serialisation of Call the Midwife last night - what a tear-jerker that was, so I'm wondering about a Jennifer Worth book.

Very strangely and coincidentally, I came across an article about a local writer in a local free paper and I remembered her straight away, as I was friends with her two older sisters and we went to the same school. Here's a link to her website, just in case you like historical drama ....

http://gabriellekimm.co.uk/

Her two books are available as Kindle versions too and I might just be tempted to try one ....

I will look at the Susan Hill series, CS, thanks for that. Have you read any Donna Leon?

Sorry to say I've never heard about Tom's Midnight Garden - will have to check that out.

yola
13-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I loved Tom's Midnight Garden too . . . one from my childhood that I have on DVD for the boys and who like it too.

I've just finished reading Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes which was a Mann Booker winner and which I found claustrophobic and a difficult read but nonetheless absorbing.

Have just started Rivers of London by Ben Aaranovitch which is a strange mixture of supernatural and criminal/detective. OH has also read it and he really liked it. It references a lot of areas around London I know which is fun, but overlays it all with a slightly skewed view of 'what might be' . . .

Elaine
13-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Karen Pryors Dont Shoot the Dog, even though I really really want to:lol:

angieh
13-02-2012, 06:32 PM
I do like the sound of Rivers of London, just the sort of book with a twist that I like, thanks Yola.

Has anyone else read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell? I read it a while ago, one of those huge books that I found I couldn't put down - completely enveloping and haunting.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14201.Jonathan_Strange_and_Mr_Norrell

cats' staff
13-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Have you read Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd, Yola? It is a weird and wonderful book which 'time slips' and is based on a pattern of churches in London (around Spitalfields I think) designed by Hawksmoor. Hard to describe but I loved it.

Angie, no I haven't tried Donna Leon, I don't think.The problem is I read a lot and don't always remember authors and titles which can get frustrating when trying to make recommendations.

yola
14-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Angie and Cat's Staff . . . thanks for those 2 recommendations, they both sound right up my street. As my office backs onto our central Library here in Reading I will pop down there to see if I can borrow these books.

I'm always so overwhelmed when I go to the library as I don't really know where to start in terms of chosing a book. However this gives me an excellent starting point.

angieh
14-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Already hooked on Rivers of London and Hawksmoor sounds good too .................

I know what you mean about libraries Yola - hope you find a good read!

CS - Donna Leon writes Italian crime - I have read several of her Inspector Brunetti stories - mostly set around Venice.

http://www.donnaleon.net/

yola
14-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Already hooked on Rivers of London and Hawksmoor sounds good too .................
/ (http://www.donnaleon.net/)

Excellent! I like it so much I actually woke up before my alarm this morning in order to carry on reading Rivers of London!

cats' staff
14-02-2012, 10:32 PM

I know what you mean about libraries Yola - hope you find a good read!

CS - Donna Leon writes Italian crime - I have read several of her Inspector Brunetti stories - mostly set around Venice.

http://www.donnaleon.net/
Thanks Angie, looks good.

angieh
15-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Well, I enjoyed Rivers of London so much and finished it late last night, so I now have bought Moon over Soho, the next in the series. Definitely a very hard to put down book.

angieh
29-07-2012, 10:11 PM
I may be a wee bit late as I think this book has already received split reviews - love it/hate it; I am entranced by it - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern http://www.nightcircus.co.uk/Home/AboutNightCircus

The nearest of anything else I can compare it to is The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, but with more of a storyline. Some of the descriptions are inspired IMO by the most elegant cake decorations - it has me completely hooked and I know there's something very dark underneath. Recommended.

Shelley123
30-07-2012, 10:59 AM
I am reading House rules by Jody Picoult.
It's about her son who has aspergers Angie is accused of murder.

angieh
30-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Oh I've read that Shelley and enjoyed it.

Shelley123
30-07-2012, 06:16 PM
I have read quite a few by Jody Picoult

angieh
30-07-2012, 07:19 PM
I've only read that one and Nineteen Minutes. But I have enjoyed both books. I have an Ian Rankin book to read after The Night Circus, but it's not Rebus as I've read all those.

Shelley123
30-07-2012, 07:26 PM
After Thursday I'm going to be at the caravan with no transport as Howard has to return home. As the site is very remote I will have plenty of time for reading. Have got about ten books as well asacouple on my kindle. There is also a book exchange in the laundry so I shouldn't run out,lol

angieh
30-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Could you hire a bicycle???

MrsH
30-07-2012, 08:50 PM
I must confess to looking at Kindle every other day and checking out their 100 top paid for and free books in Crime. I have been collecting the Steven Dunbar series by Ken McClure.

Steven is a doctor who works for an agency of the government investigating dodgy medical establishments. There are quite a lot of these books and they're getting a bit samey but as I only pay 20p for most of them (or often nothing at all) I don't mind. Decent enough holiday or bedtime reading.

angieh
30-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks for that MrsH. I bought 6 of the Hamish Macbeth stories for 99p each and enjoyed them all but am not sure that I'd pay full price for them. I also browse those low price or zero priced books, but I haven't spotted Ken McClure. I've signed up for the Kindle Daily Deal email.

angieh
23-11-2012, 12:07 PM
For anyone with a Kindle, I would recommend signing up for their Kindle Daily Deal email. I have recently bought 3 books at 99p each and I've enjoyed them very much. Just coming to the end of the third.

I can recommend:
The Dinosaur Feather by Sissel-Jo Gazan
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Dinosaur-Feather-ebook/dp/B005COO10Y/ref=tmm_kin_title_0
The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sea-Detective-ebook/dp/B00766EYTO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1353668791&sr=1-1
Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alif-the-Unseen-ebook/dp/B008QO8ZPO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1353668835&sr=1-1

(the last two are still available at 99p each)

Tink
21-12-2012, 06:39 AM
I am reading The Secret Daughter. I just got a Kindle Fire as Santa came early this year so I'm still learning how to use it to it's full potential.

angieh
18-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Thought I'd bring this thread back to life to add a couple of recommendations ....

The Secret Keeper - Kate Morton
The Distant Hours - Kate Morton

I've found both these books (especially the first) to be unputdownable and captivating on several levels.

Anyone else got any recent recommendations???

Shelley123
19-06-2013, 10:37 AM
thanks for reviving the thread Angie.
I've just started reading "Does this baby make me look straight by Dan Bucatinsky. It's a funny book about two gay men useing a surrogate.
My son has just lent me a book about the stories behing Bob Marley songs.

angieh
19-06-2013, 01:28 PM
I like the sound of the Bob Marley book Shelley - can you let me have the title/author pls? I remember being very surprised one day when my mother (who was Frank Sinatra generation) told me she liked Bob Marley. She'd no idea who he was and I'm not sure which song of his she liked so much.

Shelley123
20-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Angie, the book is called Bob Marley, The stories behind the songs by Maureen Sheridan.
www.carltonbooks.co.uk
ISBN 978-1-84732-778-9

Shelley123
27-06-2013, 06:54 PM
i have just finished reading A Streetcat called Bob. I realy enjoyed reading this, it's a truly heartwarming story. James Bowen has written another book about his life with Bob and is also fundraising for the Blue cross.

angieh
14-07-2013, 12:32 PM
I have a few more recommendations:-

The Abomination by Jonathan Holt (first in a trilogy, fast moving, well plotted.)

The Messenger of Athens by Anne Zouroudi (really enjoyed this one, not my usual sort of read.)

The Wanderer in Unknown Realms by John Connolly (A Kindle "single" - rather spooky and the sort of book that stays lurking in the back of the mind ...... )

paulinef2
16-07-2013, 03:22 PM
I love reading, I ordered the Game of Thrones 5 book set which will be out in Oct. I have been following the tv series which is awesome but I believe the books are a bit different but still fab :)

angieh
16-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Gosh Pauline - I hope you enjoy them, they are gy-normous! I have read the first and enjoyed it before the tv series started and then got about 80% through the second and enjoyed that too. I am going to get back to them some time!

paulinef2
16-07-2013, 07:02 PM
I know and five of them, I'm hoping they aren't too lord of rings-like with all the made up places, names, races etc I got bored part the way through the second book. It was like studying for a history exam lol

angieh
18-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Here's a new recommendation from me "The Accidental Time Traveller" by Sharon Griffiths.

As a child of the 1950s myself, I was drawn to the odd sounding blurb about this book and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I found it odd enough so that I am still puzzling about parts of it but the descriptions of the bleakness of life in the '50s was as I just about remember, especially the no central heating bits and lino on the floors. Good holiday read IMO.

Shelley123
13-11-2013, 12:42 PM
just finished reading two books.
The first is called Far to go by Alison Pick.
It's fiction but based on her grandparents journey, a very interesting, enjoyable book that made me think. It is about a family of Czechoslovakian Jews during the war.
The second book is a murder thriller called Private Berlin by James Patterson .

angieh
13-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks for those recommendations Shelley. I am reading The Merrybegot by Julie Hearn - was a Kindle daily deal for 99p. I think it's meant to be for "young adults" but I am finding it is full of menace and quite chilling.

Have to say that ATM I have quite a few unfinished books on my Kindle. I seem to give up when I come to a bit that I think is going to be horrible to read .... getting rather squeamish in my old age and will soon have to only buy books that are pink and fluffy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shelley123
13-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks for those recommendations Shelley. I am reading The Merrybegot by Julie Hearn - was a Kindle daily deal for 99p. I think it's meant to be for "young adults" but I am finding it is full of menace and quite chilling.

Have to say that ATM I have quite a few unfinished books on my Kindle. I seem to give up when I come to a bit that I think is going to be horrible to read .... getting rather squeamish in my old age and will soon have to only buy books that are pink and fluffy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol, Angie your comment about pink and fluffy made me giggle.
If i'm to read an animal book i check the last page to make sure everything is ok before i read it. I'm afraid if the animal doesn't survive then i don't read the book.

Yesterday when i visited the library they had a display of books wrapped in brown paper. The books were to be taken out and the title of the display was " What if you couldn't judge a book by it's cover ?" All that was written on the paper was the genre of the story. Wish i'd taken one out now, i may go back soon and get one, could be interesting.

pamela81
13-11-2013, 09:11 PM
i am trying to read a book about an IED finding dog in Afghan. A good book, but a hard read

angieh
14-11-2013, 12:17 AM
lol, Angie your comment about pink and fluffy made me giggle.
If i'm to read an animal book i check the last page to make sure everything is ok before i read it. I'm afraid if the animal doesn't survive then i don't read the book.

Yesterday when i visited the library they had a display of books wrapped in brown paper. The books were to be taken out and the title of the display was " What if you couldn't judge a book by it's cover ?" All that was written on the paper was the genre of the story. Wish i'd taken one out now, i may go back soon and get one, could be interesting.

Shame it wasn't pink paper :lol: :lol: :lol:

angieh
01-12-2013, 02:13 PM
I have to recommend a book I've just finished, first in the Merrily Watkins series by Phil Rickman, The Wine of Angels. First book in ages that I couldn't put down, the tension build up was huge and I stayed up on Friday night to finish it after OH had gone off to bed. And I've got a whole series to read ........

Sort of mystery with the main character a widowed young mum who is a new vicar and her daughter, both of them have psychic abilities and there's good and evil and shades in-between both real and emotional. Well written IMO with really good feeling of "place".