PDA

View Full Version : Slow cookers?

angieh
12-02-2011, 03:12 PM
I know some of you have slow cookers .... I am thinking of getting one.

Any pointers to look out for? Pros/cons etc.

Any info gratefully received!

EmmaG
12-02-2011, 03:15 PM
The only thing I would say is get one with slow, medium and high setting, also don't do what I did and get a massive one 6L unless you really need it, for a couple one half the size is good although I can get a chicken in mine.

Squirrel
12-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Can't really give advice as to choosing them - mine is the first in my family, and it was a gift a year past Christmas, so...

dandysmom
12-02-2011, 05:42 PM
I've had one for several years (gift); never tried it, so would be interested in comments also. I suspect it wouldn't be too practical cooking portions for one .... I am NOT a fan of leftovers.....

Squirrel
12-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Mmmmm. I tend to use it to make lots of meals, which I then freeze.

angieh
12-02-2011, 06:01 PM
What make do you have Squirrel and how many are you catering for?

Squirrel
12-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Generally things like casseroles and stews - or something. I essentially fry my meat, find some kind of sauce, either out of a packet mix or a whip up of stock and whatever spices take my fancy, chop up a few veg, throw it all into the pot and cook.

I cater for myself in general, so once it's cooled (or as part of the cooling process) I'll shove it into individual portion bags, and put the lot in the freezer. I'll then take out a portion as and when I'm ready for it.

With a mix of different dishes, cooked different ways, I can go for months without having any real cooking to do, and a variety of home made meals to have as and when they take my fancy.

One thing I am Not a fan of is having to take hours over cooking a meal once I'm home from work, and this is one of the ways I can have enjoyable home made meals without regular fuss!

angieh
12-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Sounds like a very good idea - and you know what you're eating because you prepared it!

So how large is your cooker Squirrel? Although because of the use you make of it, size probably isn't important!

alexgirl73
12-02-2011, 07:14 PM
I've got a basic Tesco £15 one and it was one of the best buys I have ever made lol. It has a low/high setting, plus a warming. I've actually just had a sausage casserole tonight. Bunged everything in this morning and left it cooking all day. Mine does a family of four perfectly. Before that I had the asda basic one, which was just slightly too small, but still did the job it needed too. And there are loads of sites out there with recipes :)

Squirrel
12-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Mine is the Asda basic one, as to size, I haven't really a clue as it was a gift - though Asda say the one they selling as that now is 3.5 litres size wise...

yola
13-02-2011, 10:07 PM
I've got a large crock-pot branded one; will do a family of 4 + enough for the two of us to take as lunch to work the next day. It has low and high settings + a keep warm setting. Has a removable ceramic inner 'casserole' which can be used in the oven but not on the hob.

Got it for Christmas from my Mum and we used it probably every other weekend. Thoroughly recommended!