PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and deer antlers

MrsH
04-02-2011, 01:22 PM
There's been a recent thread on Dogsey about deer antlers as dog chews and I wondered if any other dog owners here have tried them?

Morgan's came this morning and he's been gnawing away at it for 2 whole hours now :D I thought he'd probably like it, he's quite a strong chewer and demolishes Nylabones in about a month. He's just put it down and I'm surprised how much he's gnawed away already to get at the marrow inside. He's such a happy boy, tired out with all the chewing! I bet his jaws ache :lol: but his teeth have had a good clean! :-D He's so tired out he can hardly keep his eyes open, just rolled over with a big contented sigh :D hope he still has some energy for his afternoon walk!

Wonder if the cats would like one???

dandysmom
04-02-2011, 05:23 PM
I never knew dogs liked deer antlers, MrsH; the things I've learned here! I did know porcupines eat them because of the mineral content..... I suspect cats would completely ignore them!

angieh
04-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that cats can't actually chew?

dandysmom
04-02-2011, 09:01 PM
I don't know, Angie; do know they have strong jaws. When people feed them raw chicken wings don't the bones disappear ... chewed?

angieh
04-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Had to Google this .....

"Although a cat's jaws are short, they are extremely strong. They clamp down upon prey with enough power to crush the bones. The lower jaw is attached to the upper one by means of a simple hinge. This arrangement permits only up-and-down motion. A cat cannot move its lower jaw sideways, nor can it grind its teeth. When a cat clamps its jaws shut, the teeth mesh side by side, somewhat like the meshing of gears. So cats tear and crush their food, but they do not chew it. Much of the food is swallowed whole, and digestive juices break it down for use."

Source: http://www.lookd.com/cats/anatomy.html

So bones could be crushed but not chewed it seems!

dandysmom
04-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Fascinating! Thanks for that; the things I learn as I said earlier! :D

Moli
04-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Where do you get them from MrsH???

Kazz
05-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Yes I am interested in the deer antler chew too although I imagine they would not last long Sal if she is in the mood can demolish a knuckle bone in about 1/2 hour....well crack it in half anyhow thats when I throw it away (scardey cat over splintered bones) She does not have nylabone bones there is something in the name I am not sure of "nyla" I think nylon and going through her digestive system.......so thats a no no but may try the deer antlers.

I may wait and see what the "bull breed owners" response is ;)

MrsH
05-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Where do you get them from MrsH???

From here (http://www.puredog.co.uk/) it's a British company with British sourced antlers. I bought Morgan the medium size.

Tink
05-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Ooh I'll have to look at those for K's dogs!! They go through chews so fast maybe this is just the thing!!
I think natural chewing things are great for teeth.
I've given dehydrated rabbit's feet and ears to the cats and while the girls ignored them, Solomon would gnaw and crunch..even growl while eating them. It's so great to bring out that wild instinct and can curb alot of problems that develop from being domesticated and not exposed to all the things they usually would be.

calismum
06-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Our farm dogs pick up any horns the sheep have lost and happily chew on them. I expect antlers are the same type of thing.

Interesting info about the way cats eat.

angieh
06-02-2011, 09:26 PM
It's probably a bit like chewing or gnawing a harder version of finger nails - not something I'd want to do but I expect it's good for their calcium uptake.

Velvet
07-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Saw this on another forum i go to. Might order some of the largest ones as Boxers can be heavy chewers

Moli
07-02-2011, 12:50 AM
From here (http://www.puredog.co.uk/) it's a British company with British sourced antlers. I bought Morgan the medium size.
Thank you for the link, think I will order some for my girls..:D

borderdawn
07-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Ive just ordered my second batch!

Kazz
07-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Are they any good then ladies?

MrsH
07-02-2011, 07:16 PM
I think they're really good Kazz!

Morgan chomped on his for hours on Friday, ignored it on Saturday and then chomped happily again yesterday. I was surprised at how much he'd gnawed away :shock: I bought the medium size and it seems to have almost half gone! We picked it up yesterday evening and will give it again later on in the week, I don't think I can leave it down for him to freely nibble on whenever he wants as he seemed to be almost getting obsessed with it! I'm finding little bits on the floor about the size of cooked rice grains and I suppose he's ingested quite a bit, his poops have become very firm and quite dry (in case you wanted to know ;)) Some people find they're as good as a dental clean for their dogs but I can't confirm that, Morgan's got sparkly gnashers already :)

Elaine
07-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanx for that MrsH, just placed an order.;)

angieh
27-06-2011, 11:35 AM
I remembered this thread - just placed an order for Monty. I think his adult teeth are coming through, his nipping is certainly becoming more painful!

angieh
07-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Monty likes his stag bar!

dandysmom
07-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Pleased to hear that.

Kim
07-07-2011, 04:59 PM
There was an auction recently on one of the dog forums I go on and the deer antlers were very popular!! I must get some for the dogs. Poppy loves nylabones, Kazz, they keep her amused for ages, she has had a few now as they get quite manky after a while.

Kim
07-07-2011, 05:02 PM
I think they're really good Kazz!

Morgan chomped on his for hours on Friday, ignored it on Saturday and then chomped happily again yesterday. I was surprised at how much he'd gnawed away :shock: I bought the medium size and it seems to have almost half gone! We picked it up yesterday evening and will give it again later on in the week, I don't think I can leave it down for him to freely nibble on whenever he wants as he seemed to be almost getting obsessed with it! I'm finding little bits on the floor about the size of cooked rice grains and I suppose he's ingested quite a bit, his poops have become very firm and quite dry (in case you wanted to know ;)) Some people find they're as good as a dental clean for their dogs but I can't confirm that, Morgan's got sparkly gnashers already :)

Our dogs are raw fed and their poos are very firm, dry and crumbly and hardly any smell!! I'm sure you all wanted to know that!! :oops: but I guess the deer antlers are having the same effect. :D

Kazz
07-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Thank you for the link, think I will order some for my girls..:D

Did you order any being a fellow Bull Breed owner and all.

Hreow
07-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Shame that the payments go through PayPal. None of my cards work with PayPal. : / They're perfectly fine with anything else.