PDA

View Full Version : Dog or Bitch?

angieh
21-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I know we've discussed here about if there are any differences between male and female cats, even if neutered/spayed.

Is there any behavioural differences to be taken into account in dogs generally? And if so, which would you choose???

Kazz
21-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I have my beloved Sal here and have had bitches the last few times but...and this is a big but if I were you and the dog was going to be my only dog. I would visit a litter and take a pup that I was attracted to and vice versa a pup choose you sometimes and you cannot put your finger on it.
I do not think (although could be corrected here) that their is a major difference temperment/behviour wise between dogs and bitches in mini schnauzers.
As there is in some breeds I would not recommend a male giant schnauzer as a first dog. But in the mini's I would not say there is much difference. My Sal stops and wee's as much as a dog would if she thinks the world needs reminding of her presence. LOL

I would say you do not want the first pup that approaches you you want a nice middle ranking pup not the boldest and not the quiestist.

Kazz
21-01-2011, 09:06 PM
This is getting exciting and you have not found a breeder/pup yet either.

angieh
21-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I wondered whether dominance was an issue with a male? I know from reading about the breed that Schnauzers need a calm firm hand to avoid "small dog syndrome" and of course we would enrol in a training programme locally.

MrsH
21-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I wondered whether dominance was an issue with a male? I know from reading about the breed that Schnauzers need a calm firm hand to avoid "small dog syndrome" and of course we would enrol in a training programme locally.

I think the breed people are best to answer specific questions like this, any comments I would make for example would be based on my knowledge of cockers which wouldn't be a great deal of use to you. I found the breed specific forum that I joined a tremendous source of information, not just for asking my own questions but also reading other members' comments and replies. Is there a schnauzer forum? I would think there probably is and there'll be loads of useful stuff on there.

By the way, I have a boy and dominance isn't an issue at all, he's still entire and popular "knowledge" out there says that cockers are very dominant :? (proper cocker owners consider it nonsense! :))

Kazz
21-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Thats like Staffs people say dogs are dominant yet my Sam was so laid back he was horizontal and not a dominant bone in his body. A dog is what you make them, get a decent well bred healthy pup and you have the making of devil or angel. Its your choice.

angieh
21-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Kazz has already sent me a link to a Schnauzer forum!

Moli
21-01-2011, 10:57 PM
I agree totally with Kazz, its how you bring them up...I personally have always had bitches....

Phoenix
21-01-2011, 11:37 PM
I've PM'd you angie :D

angieh
22-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks all! I made the mistake of looking at puppy photos this evening ...................... how do you pick THE one?

MrsH
22-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks all! I made the mistake of looking at puppy photos this evening ...................... how do you pick THE one?

You can't, not until you visit the litter. Good breeders will have waiting lists for their puppies, be wary of anyone who has puppies ready to go now, they're possibly not breeders whose stock is in high demand. You need to get to know a breeder when they're planning a litter so you can sort of register an interest and maintain contact with the breeder so they know you're serious about wanting a puppy. A good breeder will be happy for you to visit them even though there may be no puppies, or pregnant bitch at that time, it's an opportunity to see the temperament of their dogs and the breeders set-up, and judge if you like what you see.

Moli
22-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Very often the pup picks you;)

Velvet
22-01-2011, 05:04 AM
Very often the pup picks you;)

Yes agree to that. Our last three were "meant to be"

Rosie was a christmas puppy thrown into the pound just before New Year. They contacted Boxer Rescue who took her & then asked us if we would consider a pup & they brought her to us. I was alteady registered with them for help etc

Katie - we registered with a breeder recommended to us via rescue. We had our names down for a brindle pup from they were 10 days old. At 4 weeks we wentbto view the pups. After a long chat the breeder sent his young daughter out to bring in a pup to show us. She came back in & set this tiny white pup in my arms & i fell in love instantly! A breeder who matched his pups to owners!

Harvey: heard about him from Katie's breeder, no one wanted a white pup. We had family discussion & as we had 3 Boxers before 2 bitches & 1 dog we decided to take (buy) Harvey.

I can honestly say Katie & Harvey were two of the easiest puppies to rear. Good breeder who shows breeds for health, temperament & conforms to a standard.

Kazz
22-01-2011, 12:16 PM
You can't, not until you visit the litter. Good breeders will have waiting lists for their puppies, be wary of anyone who has puppies ready to go now, they're possibly not breeders whose stock is in high demand. You need to get to know a breeder when they're planning a litter so you can sort of register an interest and maintain contact with the breeder so they know you're serious about wanting a puppy. A good breeder will be happy for you to visit them even though there may be no puppies, or pregnant bitch at that time, it's an opportunity to see the temperament of their dogs and the breeders set-up, and judge if you like what you see.

Totaly agree with the above I spoke to Sal's breeder a year or more before the pups were born there were 6; 3 dogs 3 bitches, we were the last to get a pup and we got Sal...end of Story. No choosing there, she was our pup I did not mind because by then I had a trusting relationship with Craig and Gail and their breeding was what I wanted and having meet the rest of the family (dogs) Sal's gran, mom and half sister and some others at shows. I knew the litter would be even and whatever pup I got would be perfect, also I was flexible I was happy to take dog or bitch, and when the other (in front of me) choose theirs I would have been happy with dog or bitch pup as it was I got a bitch. That was irrelevant to me at the time I wanted a pet and from that breeding.
When I got Tess (same breeder) I had a criteria a bitch and this time I got to 2nd to choose after the breeder. Major confusion in my head; but I choose; and this time I choose and that pup was Tess and again an even litter and hard to put a hair between them looks wise.
I saw Sal's litter first at about 5 weeks got invited to see all the litter as did every prospective (to be owner) at this point I knew I was on the list for a bitch all three dogs being taken and one bitch being kept by the breeder and one by someone who had had a pup form them previously So I was last. That visit was to see the litter.
I picked Sal up a day after her 7 week birthday. She was the first pup to go.
I saw Tess and litter sisters complete at 4&1/2 weeks and then went again at 5&1/2 weeks (due to the time I could get there) this time, first visit was to put my "name on a pup" then confirm at 51/2 weeks. Before the others on the list "choose" however the breeder on both occasions did have an opinion on which pup would suit which home.

They took no deposits.

Best of luck I would say find a breeder you trust and wait it out.

angieh
22-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for your valuable advise. I will try to curb my impatience and try to find a breeder that I like.

Kazz
22-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for your valuable advise. I will try to curb my impatience and try to find a breeder that I like.

I agree with Velvet totaly a well bred and raised pup makes all the difference, like starting a car race with a engine instead of having to build the engine after the starters gun.