PDA

View Full Version : I need advice please

lynz85
20-01-2011, 12:16 AM
i have just felt a hard mass in one of my 14 month old girls tummys. i know this is a mass of tumours.
i'l start from beginning-in november i found mummy rat had a lump sticking out of her tummy, and the next day i booked her an appointment hoping they would be able to operate on her the same day. she was already looking a bit weaker and being picky with food. unfortunately they were full and couldnt do it til the next day, she was a bit dehydrated, so i thought it was best if she was there and on a drip overnight. upon operating they found a mass tumour in between her intestines and were just managing to remove it when her blood pressure dropped. she didnt make it
december came and i noticed another lump sticking out on one of her babies (then 13 month old) tummys. took her to vets very next day and she was booked in for the following morning. the vets called me whilst she was on the table to say there was a mass along with a lot of smaller tumours all along her intestines, it would be impossible for them to remove. i agreed it would be for the best to let her go there and then rather than stitch her up to have her going downhill a day or two later.

now heres my dilema. i have already felt a hard mass and a smaller one tonight, i take her to the vets tomorrow, she is booked in for friday, they find the same thing, i have to let her go.
or
i keep her at home, spoil her rotten until shes no longer comfortable and then say goodbye when the times right.

this is breaking my heart, please what would you do???

Phoenix
20-01-2011, 12:19 AM
I'd see what the vet advises. I do sympathise (((hugs)))

Squirrel
20-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Awwwww! *hugs* That is so hard. I guess you just have to go with your gut instinct - what you feel is right.

pamela81
20-01-2011, 12:27 AM
aww sorry to hear that lynz, i agree with squirrel, go with your gut instinct. You'll know best what to do for her. xxx

lynz85
20-01-2011, 12:28 AM
im thinking i want to keep her at home, mummy rat spent her last night by herself, and my other girl must have been so scared being put in a carrier and taken to vets by herself aswell. i just dont want her to be in pain or suffer. say like she was really ill on sunday and i couldnt get her to a vets. i guess i will take her to the vets tomorrow and see what they think. i cant stop crying :(

pamela81
20-01-2011, 12:34 AM
it must be soo hard lynz, let us know how you get on, hugs xxx

lynz85
20-01-2011, 12:40 AM
thanks, ive just had such a rubbish year aswell, was hoping this year would bring better luck. il let u know when i get back from vets

angieh
20-01-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm so sorry lynz. If it were me, I would want to be with your baby girl and have her pts gently with me holding her. Very very hard, but no discomfort or pain for her, but very hard for you. Over quickly. Just what I'd do ..... ((((HUGS))))

lynz85
20-01-2011, 01:01 AM
thanks angie, i think thats what i want to do. i always hope theres a chace they'l make it but it looks to be a genetic problem. im also worried about getting her to a vet when i know she needs to go, like i said at the weekend when they are shut and i dont drive. il be working thurs fri and sat, and my boss is NOT at all compassionate when it comes to my rats.

dandysmom
20-01-2011, 02:48 AM
Hard, hard decision: if it were me I'd let her go at home quietly with you there holding and comforting her. Does sound genetic; why put her thru the trauma of the vet visit if it's going to be the same thing? Horrible choice. as the others said, go with your gut instinct ....... (((hugs)))

Squirrel
20-01-2011, 08:31 AM
*hugs tight* So very difficult Linz. My thoughts are with you today.

Velvet
20-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Agree with others, think i would let her go peacefully with you holding her. Heart goes out to you. xx

lynz85
20-01-2011, 09:07 PM
thanks everybody.
i have spoken to the vet, looked outside this morning and it was far too cold to be taking her over. she agrees that it would be best to keep her home with me, and when it gets too much for her, i'l take her in :(

i got some metacam, incase she is in any pain, but just now she is fine. you would take a look at her and think nothing is wrong. she is going to be spoiled rotten, gave them a millet spray to enjoy and im going up shortly to have some pea fishing. one of her sisters has a mammary lump, just under her armpit which will need removed shortly. its not attatched to anything to should be a straightforward op hopefully. this year is going to be hard :(