PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Oliver - 30 minute meals

EmmaG
06-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Hubby got me this cookery book for Christmas - just cooked one of the recipes, tasty crusted cod, my mashy peas, tartare sauce, and warm garden salad, the only thing i didn't make was the tartare sauce as I had some in the fridge..

Well it was totally delicious - hubby said if he was served it in a restaurant he would be very happy!!! :-)

Has anybody else got the book?

angieh
06-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Yes Emma! My OH and I were impressed with the TV series and tried out a couple of the recipes and on that success we bought the book! Not tried anything else so far. I recommend his ragu sauce made with sausages - we've also successfully used that base for lasagne too.

EmmaG
07-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the tip Angie, cooked the chicken and mustard sauce today it was really nice, hubby liked it more then the cod one, but I still preferred the cod. I am going to cook the wonky pasta tomorrow, really enjoying cooking these recipes....

Kazz
08-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Hmmm I looked at that book but may have to reconsider it again with the reviews you have both given them. Part of my try a different choice of meal every week the book would be handy.

EmmaG
08-01-2011, 01:38 AM
They are easy to follow kazz and have loads of photos, I think there are 50 meals in the book and a good mixture , I really want to try the meatballs.

They do take longer than 30 mins to start off with, but I reckon the more times you cook them the quicker you would get, as I had to keep checking what I was going.

angieh
08-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Yes, I agree and of course you don't always have to made the whole meal. I think it would be an excellent book Kazz especially as you are trying your one new meal a week.

I am also sure that you could probably find a bargain somewhere!

yola
08-01-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a lot of time for Jamie Oliver - he recipes and enthusiasm (and his restaurants) are great. Might have to pop out one lunchtime next week and get this book. I know there has been much hoo-haa in the press about the recipes taking longer than 30 minutes but really, is that SO important? Ease of understanding, readily available ingredients and tasty result are more important (IMO).

EmmaG
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
So far the recipes I have done will only take 30 minutes once I have gotten used to what I am doing. The first time it will always take longer, and I don't really care even if they take longer.

Off to cook my wonky pasta in a min :-)

Kazz
08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Well you have all convinced me I am going to buy the book, I have started to enjoy cooking as much as gardening, so a nice new "passion"

I agree Yola, I like Jamie Oliver’s passion and the fact he calls himself a "cook" not a chef. To me he is similar to Monty Don in his enthusiasm.

EmmaG
08-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Wonky pasta was excellent!!! It was light, fresh and basily - very impressed, mine wasn't very wonky though as I used fresh taglatelli rather than cut up fresh lasagna sheets. Just the pasta dish alone would have taken less than 10 to do.

Going to have a look at the book now for a couple of meals next week, as I am cooking beef stifado for dinner tomorrow.

I hope Kazz and Yola you both get the book as it is really good.

dandysmom
08-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Just checked, it's not available on Kindle, just in hardback. Surprising .......

angieh
08-01-2011, 11:12 PM
It's not been out long Eileen .... maybe in a while.

EmmaG
08-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Eileen , some of the recipes are on his website

http://www.jamieoliver.com/jamies-30-minutes-meals/

Kazz
09-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Eileen unless I am missing something are there USA chefswith cookery programmes? like Gordon Ramsey, Delia Smith, Jamie Oliver etc etc etc?

dandysmom
09-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Eileen unless I am missing something are there USA chefswith cookery programmes? like Gordon Ramsey, Delia Smith, Jamie Oliver etc etc etc?

Oh yes, I rarely watch them except Avec Eric which is on after the late news; a lot of them are too pretentious! Used to watch Julia Child occasionally, another down to earth person.

EmmaG
11-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Another recipe completed :-) pregnant Jool's pasta and it was delicious ....

Kazz
11-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Another recipe completed :-) pregnant Jool's pasta and it was delicious ....

Are you trying to tell us something Emma????;) I will be getting the book tomorrow I watched him on sky the other night. He so loves sharing his "love of food"

EmmaG
12-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Are you trying to tell us something Emma????;) I will be getting the book tomorrow I watched him on sky the other night. He so loves sharing his "love of food"

Errrr......well...... No :shock:

Lol

It was named after Jamie's wife as she loved eating that dish when she was pregnant.

EmmaG
12-01-2011, 12:13 AM
I hope you enjoy the book Kazz, once you have tried one of the recipes you get a feel for the type of cooking involved. Don't think I have ever enjoyed a cookery book as much as this one.

angieh
19-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Meant to add to this thread on Monday last - we did Jamie's chicken pie for supper and it was very very good!

pamela81
19-01-2011, 08:47 PM
i got his book in october for my birthday, think steven was trying to drop hints!!