PDA

View Full Version : New article

Phoenix
06-01-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm considering writing a feline behaviour/psychology article next, just wanted to see if anyone's already done it and if not if any of you have got any ideas (won't start it tonight though)

Elaine
06-01-2011, 08:57 AM
I dont want to be rude but isnt that a little ambitious, None of us here, although fairly knowledgable in certain areas are "experts" and it's a VERY complex thing to tackle.
But if you want to have a stab at it, go ahead...

wilbar
06-01-2011, 10:59 AM
I've already offered to do something like this via Forum Support. Azz said he would put it on general thread (but hasn't so far).

I'd be very happy to help you if you want? Or we could do general articles on separate topics, e,g ethology, physiology of behaviour, toiletting problems, feline interactions, body language etc etc.

Phoenix
06-01-2011, 12:38 PM
I've already offered to do something like this via Forum Support. Azz said he would put it on general thread (but hasn't so far).

I'd be very happy to help you if you want? Or we could do general articles on separate topics, e,g ethology, physiology of behaviour, toiletting problems, feline interactions, body language etc etc.

Articles on various topics would be good I think (if everyone's in agreement) :D

I was thinking we could all do a bit (anyone who wants to join in can pick a topic then write about that topic) :D

What do you all think? :D

wilbar
06-01-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm happy to go along with whatever people think would be useful. For anyone looking after or fostering rescue cats, perhaps an article on desensitisation & counter-conditioning the fearful cat? Or preventing behavioural problems in a multi-cat household? Ethology of the domestic cat & the links with its wild counterparts? The importance of postural & olfactory comunication in domestic cats? The links between behaviour & physiology & how one can affect the other? Urine marking or litter box problems ~ how to tell the difference?

Any other suggestions/requests or topics that people would find helpful? Possibly most people on this forum are very experienced cat owners but maybe think about new members that join for advice because they're having problems? It could be useful to be able to provide a link for general background info?

Mags
06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
An article on this subject would be great but I do think you need to have the necessary experience and qualifications to attempt such a serious subject ...... as Elaine said above, it's a very complex subject to tackle.

angieh
06-01-2011, 04:01 PM
I think that it's a great idea, especially if well research and with stated sources.

I would be particularly interested in body language.

dandysmom
06-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I think separate articles on various aspects of the subject could be very interesting and helpful. Everyone is knowledgeable in some aspect, I would be glad to do a bit about getting a terrified of people cat who had been abused back to trusting people (Onyx, for those of you who remember her).

Elaine
06-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I'd be interested to read what you have to say Wilbur. I think various articles on different things would be much more helpful to new comers and oldies than a very long winded and complex one. Posturing would be very interesting as would many other topics mentioned. I'd also like Dandysmom to write about her experience of taming down dear little Onyx.
I just think that although many of us are fairly knowledgable, as I said before, we are not experts and can only really write from our own experiences and experiences differ. What I mean is, you may have two cats with a similar illness or ailment but they may display differing behaviours.
Take my Eva for example, for years, as many of you know, we tried to tackle the issues of her inapropriate elimination. We tried vets, cat behaviourists, reiki as well as all the other stuff, cat litters, trays etc etc. Sadly it all turned out that she had something seriously wrong with her gallbladder all that time and no one knew until it was too late.

wilbar
07-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I would love to hear about Onyx & Eva if you are both happy to tell their tales.

Just a quick question on writing articles ~ is it ok just to post them on this thread, or start a new thread, or should they be submitted to ? first for critique?

Another idea I had would be to post a list of recommended reading ~ books, articles, research papers etc, or even to do a quick resume of the reading?

I appreciate that no-one claims to be an "expert" on cat behaviour, but I don't think it will do any harm to relate personal experiences, or to give general advice that is well-sourced, with references provided, just as background info to help people understand cat behaviour in general.

I think the danger comes when people try to advice on specific & potentially serious behaviour problems for a specific cat, but without ever seeing the cat. In these cases all we have to go on is whatever the poster tells us ~ & that may not always be reliable, is open to misinterpretation & anthropomorphism. And many behaviour problems can have medical causes or health consequences ~ so the best advice is that the vet should be the first port of call. In law, the animal's vet is responsible for the health & welfare of animals in their care ~ so any reputable behaviourist should ONLY work under vet referral. I take on feline behaviour cases but ONLY on referral from a few vets in my area that I work with. Even if a client contacts me direct, I ALWAYS ask for their vet's details before seeing the cat & make sure that I speak to their vet first.

wilbar
07-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Just a quick question on writing articles ~ is it ok just to post them on this thread, or start a new thread, or should they be submitted to ? first for critique?

Oops ~ just seen the Articles section & instructions on how to use it ~ thanks Azz.

calismum
07-01-2011, 10:57 AM
I agree a general article would be too long and probably not as helpful or interesting as shorter articles on specific topics.

I have had many feral/semi feral/rescue cats over the years all of whom displayed different types of behaviour. It would be good to be able to relate some of their behaviour to the issues they had.

As a cat lover it is always interesting to find out more about what the cats who rely on me for their care are trying to tell me!

Squirrel
07-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I definitely agree with that... In the run up to my getting Cloud, as a first time cat owner, I did many searches on various different issues as they came to mind. One of which lead me here in the end. If we had short articles about various different things in relation to cat and behaviour - even along the lines of questions that new members ask in relation to animals, and points of view... I know some of our membership have strong views regarding wet or dry food, and the benefits or dangers regarding vaccinations, maybe these could be expressed as articles?

Phoenix
07-01-2011, 11:58 AM
How about a feline Frequently Asked Questions thread, where one of us could post the questions about cats that are most commonly asked and put the answers as advice?

wilbar
07-01-2011, 12:21 PM
How about a feline Frequently Asked Questions thread, where one of us could post the questions about cats that are most commonly asked and put the answers as advice?

That's a good idea:D . But perhaps with a proviso that the questions & answers are in general terms only & that if owners are in any doubt, they should consult their vet.

Phoenix
07-01-2011, 12:25 PM
That's a good idea:D . But perhaps with a proviso that the questions & answers are in general terms only & that if owners are in any doubt, they should consult their vet.

That's what I was thinking.

If everyone picks a section to go through e.g. behaviour, health etc and picks out the most frequently asked questions from there, then we could all write the answers to one of the questions each. What do you think?

Elaine
07-01-2011, 05:04 PM
I'd dearly love to tell you all about Eva but I think that the older members would be fed up by now with me banging on about her.;)
I have always wanted to write an article about her and all the issues etc but have not sought of a way to write it and make it interesting, factual and not depressing. Maybe it's all still a little too raw and I'll be able to formulate it when I'm ready. Coz my eyes leak lots when I start to talk about her, miss that pretty girl more than I can ever express.

dandysmom
07-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Good idea, RCR, also second Wilbar's suggestion.

Elaine, none of us who knew and loved Eva too would be at all bored, I'm sure, at her story. Do write that when it's less raw...... (((hugs)))

angieh
07-01-2011, 05:07 PM
I agree a general article would be too long and probably not as helpful or interesting as shorter articles on specific topics.

I have had many feral/semi feral/rescue cats over the years all of whom displayed different types of behaviour. It would be good to be able to relate some of their behaviour to the issues they had.

As a cat lover it is always interesting to find out more about what the cats who rely on me for their care are trying to tell me!

I do agree! I am sure Kizzy thinks her two-legs is particularly dense sometimes!