PDA

View Full Version : Bad News

Velvet
05-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Vet just phoned, Katie's bloods show kidneys have deteriorated a lot over last year. Its upsetting. Shes to go onto a Special diet, will be changing antibiotics when she needs them again, no longer "if" she needs them again. Repeat bloods in a month.*

Im gutted, only 6 months from we lost Rosie to Liver disease.

dandysmom
05-01-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Velvet ..... :(

Tink
05-01-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm sorry :(

angieh
05-01-2011, 06:16 PM
So very sorry Velvet. I hope she can be stabilised.

Shelley123
05-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear Katie's news, Velvet

Mags
05-01-2011, 07:08 PM
So sorry, Velvet ....:(

Kazz
05-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Sorry to hear the news, is she "well" in herself?

calismum
05-01-2011, 09:08 PM
That is just the last thing you want to hear. I am so sorry. At least as you are aware she has a problem you can be positive in her care and treatment. ((hugs)) to you.

Squirrel
05-01-2011, 10:13 PM
*hugs* So sorry to hear this Velvet.

lynz85
05-01-2011, 11:03 PM
oh no :( what horrible news! hope it can be stabilised!

pamela81
05-01-2011, 11:10 PM
sorry to hear that :( x

Velvet
06-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Sorry to hear the news, is she "well" in herself?

The vet we saw today said that if he had not seen her blood results he would not have believed she had kidney disease as she looks so well, is in excellent condition and is a very fit dog.

Just over the last couple of weeks despite eating well she has been losing weight, which is due to her kidney disease and we have been giving her little extra feeds to supplement her weight loss. She still looks forward to her exercise and training - Boxers like to learn new things and loves any wee treats that come her way especially the kittens Whiskas temptations- very popular with kitten and dogs! So yes she is well enough in herself. Its always in the back of my mind that Boxers can be quite stoic

She was quite sick tonight but that in itself was due, I think, to the vet taking her off me to take into the back to have her bloods taken. She is a very sensitive little soul.

Moli
06-01-2011, 09:17 PM
So sorry to read about Katie...

farthing
06-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Sorry to read this. I hope they can slow down the deterioration for a good while.

Velvet
07-01-2011, 04:11 AM
We went to the Vets today and collected the Prescription Renal diet for Katie. I got a bag of the dried food and also a couple of the cans – if she is not keen on the dry kibble, thought I could mix some of the canned food into it to try and make it more palatable for her. I did buy a 5 kilo bag of the food but they also gave me two free samples of the kibble to try her with it first. Some dogs are not keen on the bland kibble taste. They also very kindly worked out for me how much of the food she should be getting each day.

Whilst we were there the Vet came out and spoke to me. I thought that was nice PR.

When we got home I offered Katie a piece of the kibble and to my surprise she took it and ate it dry. I have offered her 3 single pieces over the course of the evening and each time she took it and ate it. She also got a small portion of it for her evening meal mixed into her Pro Plan, so fingers crossed she will continue to eat it from now on as it will hopefully be much better for her and maybe stabilise her condition a little.

The sickness that she had last night has also settled down. It will now be a point of getting everything right in the form of others in the house feeding her scraps and treats – sometimes easier said than done when folk think they are being kind to the dog.

dandysmom
07-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Sounds as if the new diet will be acceptable, good news! Hope you can educate the others about not feeding her.

Velvet
08-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Today we have added a little more of the renal food into Katie’s meals. *There is no problem getting her to eat it which is good news.
Tonight she has been a little restless. I thought her tummy looked a little empty and made her another smallish feed with some of the canned wet food added, which she really enjoyed – there is no chance she will put on weight, she has always been on the slim side. *Following this she was still restless, wanting in and out of the garden, which makes me wonder if the infection is working on her again as normally Katie would only go out to “wee” when she really had to. *She stayed close to the house which is not like her. I would like to think we will get a month before our next visit to the vet; however I have my doubts......