PDA

View Full Version : Chicken question

Elaine
21-12-2010, 07:59 PM
I know some you have chooks so help me out here please.
Other than grain/pellet chicken foods, what else is ok to feed them?
I am currently looking after a few chooks and wondered about treats for them, its so cold here that I want to make sure they are getting enough to eat etc. The owners did leave some cooked rice and a tin of sweetcorn but thats all gone now.
Also whats a good way of making sure they have access to water, it keeps freezing over. They have a few ping pong balls in the water bowls but it's sooooo cold here that it freezes thick and fast. The ping pong balls would be ok if it was like a light frost or something but not in these arctic conditions. Would they eat the snow for water?

Mags
21-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Don't know much about chickens, Elaine- but these links may give you some ideas .....

http://www.downthelane.net/chickens-in-winter.php

http://www.lowcostliving.co.uk/chickens/feed-chickens-winter.php

alexgirl73
21-12-2010, 08:14 PM
My lot love nothing better than a nice pot of warm boiled potato/vegetable peelings in this weather :D Just finished taking them up this evenings offerings in fact, and they are happy as larry now :lol:

Elaine
21-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanx both of you xxxx;)

borderdawn
21-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Mealworms, meat, bacon rind, MICE!!!!

Elaine
21-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanx Dawn. Mice? Where am I gonna get mice from? Do I send the cats out a huntin' for the chooks?:lol:
Seriously though, how mice? Do they kill them themselves or what?

angieh
21-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Warm mash ...........

Kazz
21-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Warm mash ...........

Thought that said warm MICE............I need to go to SPECSAVERS:shock:

Kazz
21-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Could just eat the chooks................;).....only jesting

angieh
21-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Thought that said warm MICE............I need to go to SPECSAVERS:shock:

:-D :-D :-D

My chooks would have relished warm mice too - but they were Black Rocks.

Elaine
21-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanx again folks;)

farthing
22-12-2010, 12:10 AM
When Rusty was ill and we were trying to get weight on him the vet suggested sweetcorn and potatoes- he loved it.

I have been taking the water into the kennels overnight to de frost them, at least they get a drink in the mornings and they just tend to sleep when it is dark.
We are having an awful time keeping water available for the outdoor animals- if you find a solution give me a shout.

Glycerin is supposed to help but you probably would need quite a lot for large amounts of water.

calismum
22-12-2010, 12:41 AM
I make up a warm mash for mine with some of their pellets, cod liver oil and some grains.

They also love pasta, cooked veg, and mine love a half cabbage to peck at.

Other treats - peas, chick peas, meals worms, corn on the cob and broccoli.

Water is a nightmare - I usually give them slightly tepid water with a little cider vinegar and I have wrapped the water container in a few layers of bubble wrap. Even then I'm swopping the containers 3 times a day. Glycerine is supposed to work but I don't like the idea of adding it to the water.

borderdawn
22-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanx Dawn. Mice? Where am I gonna get mice from? Do I send the cats out a huntin' for the chooks?:lol:
Seriously though, how mice? Do they kill them themselves or what?

They will kill them yes, but you can get them from pet shops that sell reptile food, frozen. Chickens eat meat, they love meat and the fat and nutrients it provides is vital in the bas weather.

Kazz
22-12-2010, 03:20 PM
They eat worms so hey whats a mouse or two.