PDA

View Full Version : Discussion split from Tiger-Lilly 5 weeks & 4 days until Due thread

MrsH
06-12-2010, 04:44 PM
She's a beautiful cat but can I ask why you decided to breed from her? I think you said one of your other cats Gizmo is the father, have you raised a litter before?

Velvet.Tears
06-12-2010, 04:56 PM
No not before but something I wanted to do.

MrsH
06-12-2010, 05:23 PM

But why? you already have quite a goodly number of cats, some still kittens really. I hope the others are going to be neutered if they haven't already been done, especially Gizmo otherwise you could quite easily find yourself overrun with kitties and it's really not that easy to find homes for them all either. :(

Squirrel
06-12-2010, 05:41 PM
But why? you already have quite a goodly number of cats, some still kittens really. I hope the others are going to be neutered if they haven't already been done, especially Gizmo otherwise you could quite easily find yourself overrun with kitties and it's really not that easy to find homes for them all either. :(

*nods* The lady I got Cloud from had that experience. Had her first litter, with only 4 kittens in it - they found homes easily enough. Unfortunately by the time they stopped nursing 'mum' was pregnant again - beginners mistake. This time she found it far harder to find homes for them all, though eventually they managed.

Velvet.Tears
06-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Tiger is in the living room with my neutured boy at 4 weeks after kittens are born Tiger is going in for her spey.

Elaine
06-12-2010, 06:40 PM
I am sorry I cannt get excited over this for you. Without wanting to come across as nasty but just so as you understand where I am coming from, I find it dispicable to read, hear and see that people are still indescriminately breeding their moggies when the feral population is sky high(please bear in mind that many in feral colonies were someones cat at one time) and rescues are really struggling to find homes for the cats they have in their care, not to mention the queue of cats awaiting a place in a rescue. FIV and Felv always on the rise because people fail to neuter and spey. Cats have NO expectation of parenthood only us selfish humans do.
Are you breeding for financial gain or selfish desire?

lynz85
06-12-2010, 07:02 PM
her tum certainley is big enough already! i have to agree that with the number of cats and kittens in rescues desperatly needing homes, i wouldnt be purposly adding to that number.

borderdawn
06-12-2010, 08:19 PM
More moggy kittens, how very sad. It totally amazes me how people still think its a good idea.

"Something I wanted to do"
I suppose the Cat "wanted" to aswell? Did you also make sure the father wasnt carrying any diseases that could kill it, infect and kill the mother and the kittens?

Phoenix
06-12-2010, 10:42 PM
I agree with borderdawn and Elaine.

The only time I would let a cat have kittens was if I started fostering and took in a pregnant cat.

Tiger's gorgeous though.

pinklizzy
07-12-2010, 07:33 PM
She looks as if she's a lot nearer to giving birth than 5 weeks!
If she was only 10 days gone when you saw the vet I assume you know when she was mated?
Surely it would've been kinder to have her spayed at that early stage rather than let her have a litter?

Elaine
07-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Got the feeding syringes & lactol.

I think you said one of your other cats Gizmo is the father, have you raised a litter before?

Tiger is in the living room with my neutured boy at 4 weeks after kittens are born Tiger is going in for her spey.

These are the things that really worry me, you already have 7 cats and 7 rabbits in a flat, you work, I assume full time. What happens if Tiger goes into labour when you are at work and gets into difficuly?
I have quoted and highlighted some of what you have said as it sounds like YOU want to raise the kittens rather than let Tiger raise them?
Gizmo is the father and from what I understand still entire, are the other 4 cats entire too? You only mention ONE neutered boy.
Do you also breed your rabbits?
It all smacks of selfish want or mental health issues to me quite frankly. Very very sad indeed.