PDA

View Full Version : Your Christmas menu

MrsH
07-12-2010, 12:21 PM
What are you all planning for your Christmas menu?

We're having -

Smoked salmon with mixed leaves salad (honey and mustard dressing)
Roast goose with a spicy apricot stuffing, roast potatoes, parsnips, braised red cabbage, sausages in bacon and brussel sprouts
Christmas pudding with brandy butter
Cheese and biscuits
Mince pies and coffee

angieh
07-12-2010, 12:36 PM
We've not decided but may possibly go for rib of beef. I hear there's a brussel sprouts shortage!

Mags
07-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm not cooking this Christmas as we are having Christmas dinner at our daughter's - no doubt I will be helping out though.:lol:

Your menu sounds lovely MrsH!

alexgirl73
07-12-2010, 02:51 PM
That sounds yum :D

We go for a traditional appraoch (ie, simple :p)

Homemade (by me) vegetable soup for starters, served with a crusty roll.
Roast turkey (no stuffing, yuck!), with roast potatoes, carrots, peas, sweetcorn and brussel sprouts (frozen :lol:)
Strawberry trifle and cream to finish up, but tbh, we very rarely manage to eat that until later in the day 'cause the soup and main stuff us to the gunnels :D

dandysmom
07-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Simple here too:

Roast chicken with stuffing
Home made cranberry sauce
Roast potatoes
Brussels sprouts
Roll
Tea
Haven't decided on dessert, maybe a (bought) pumpkin pie

calismum
07-12-2010, 06:09 PM
We're going to my sisters so no cooking here either.

Probably Melon and prawns to start
Traditional Roast Turkey with all the usual
Pudding is usually Cranachan with extra raspberries.

Squirrel
07-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Oooh! Parents house here mostlikes...

Menu usually along the lines of...

Melon/Prawns

Turkey, Stuffing (cranberry or chestnut options), Potatoes - roast/mashed, and usually something like carrots/sprouts/Cauliflower cheese... or a selection of similar things! Often cocktail sausages with bacon turns up somewhere as well.

Pudding... Um, I forget, some kind of gatteau? TBH we often plan on having pudding, but it goes by teh wayside.

Anyway, have the meal at lunch, and the left overs tend to cover evening meal as well.

Elaine
07-12-2010, 06:55 PM
One rather large bottle of rum;)

Kim
07-12-2010, 08:00 PM
We are very traditional here.

Prawn cocktail or smoked salmon to start, probably do both so there is a choice.
Roast turkey and all the trimmings. Veggie option
Christmas pud and Brandy sauce and/or cream

angieh
07-12-2010, 09:10 PM
One rather large bottle of rum;)

That gets my vote so long as it's the dark rum ..... :D

yola
07-12-2010, 10:29 PM
We've not decided but may possibly go for rib of beef. I hear there's a brussel sprouts shortage!

I've got heaps on my allotment . . . 1st time I've tried growing them and they were remarkably successful :D

After all the rubbish that we've had thrown at us this horribly stressful year, we're having a simple Polish Christmas Eve with my Mum (fish based) and our Christmas Day will include a gammon joint, our own brussels, mild mustard mash (so the boys can have some) and maybe some of my winter spinach and some of my glut of beetroots (maybe roasted).

No idea what for starters or desert yet :roll:

Tanya
07-12-2010, 10:40 PM
We will be having prawns for starter (I LOVE prawns but never have them!).

Then turkey, my nans home made stuffing, sausages wrapped in bacon, roast potatoes, boiled potatoes, sprouts, carrots, roast parsnip and another veg that is still undecided!

Pudding.... still thinking about that! ;)

dandysmom
07-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Yola, what's mild mustard mash, is that mashed potatoes? Sounds like an interesting variation on the usual recipe? I normally just do them with butter and fresh ground pepper; had them with garlic at a friends and wasn't much impressed.

Kazz
08-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Hmm I was considering the starter for Christmas day the other day and still considering, however the main will be;
Roast Turkey, stuffing, mashed and roast potatoes, sprouts, carrots, cauliflower (because I love it) cheese sauce (again because I love it) maybe parsnips, and pigs in bacon.

Liz
08-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Here M & S are providing

Salmon terrnine
Turkey Crown
Bread sauce
Cranberry Sauce
Home grown brussells
Home grown roast potatoes
M & Parsnips with Paremensan
White Chocolate Bombe for Pudding

All to be picked up the same day as my last Physio appointment

Tink
08-12-2010, 11:33 PM
hmmm i am very much considering salmon now, that idea sounds lovely...
does anyone have an easy recipe..something with a cream sauce perhaps?