PDA

View Full Version : When can he go out?

pete
05-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Hello all. I am a new member and have just posted on the introduction thread. I have adopted two 5 year old Tabby cats, a brother and sister called Missy and Socks. Before adoptingI was told that Missy is a house cat and does not go out bit that Socks will go out.

I have had them for 6 days and so far things are going well. For the first 2 days they would hide behind the couch next to the radiator and would only come out for a little while before going back, but now they are exploring the whole house and Missy especially loves company.

Socks keeps wanting to go out but I am reluctant to do so because I don't want him to try and find his way back to his previous address in Southport which is about 45 miles away. Can anyone suggest when I should let him out and how, if possible, I can ensure that he comes back?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Pete.

Squirrel
05-12-2010, 06:39 PM
I believe it is possible to start getting a cat used to your area by using a harness... that way you know the areas he knows and can be sure he knows the way home.

I've also been told that cats loose their memory of other cats they have known within a fortnight or so, so...

Am sure people who know far more about adopting cats will be along soon though! ;)

angieh
05-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi Pete. When I adopted Kizzy, Cats Protection advised that she should not be allowed out for 6 weeks. It seems like an awful long time, but as a result she knows where she lives and so far has always managed to come home.

Better safe than sorry I think - poor Socks! Are they both microchipped with your details?

pete
05-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Hello Angieh and squirrel. Both cats are microchipped but I have not yet changed the owner details, it is on my "To do" list for tomorrow.

6 weeks does sound an awful long time but I am more than happy to wait that long if it means that Socks will be able to find his way back and not try and find his way back to his previous home.

Velvet.Tears
05-12-2010, 08:20 PM
My Smokey was a previous outdoor cat, he was abandoned and saw him wondering the streets in terrible condition. I live on the top floor of a block of flats so them going outdoors was out of the question for me but for a few weeks Smokey was trying to climb out the windows (unopened) and trying to get out but after a few week she got used to being indoors all the time and he loves being indoors all the time.

dandysmom
05-12-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm of the longer the better school. However, you could take him out on a harness if he'll accept one to let him get familiar with the sight and smells of his new neighborhood.

calismum
05-12-2010, 09:01 PM
I reckon 6 weeks is a good guide. Harness would be good idea if he will tolerate it.

Velvet
06-12-2010, 03:46 AM
6 weeks is the guideline - his wanting to go out will get less, just ignore him. Sounds harsh but we had to do it with Amber. She kept scratching the back door and crying. It was very hard especially with a kitten so try distraction games. Just tell yourself its for his own good. After 2-3 weeks it gets less and gets better from then on. They soon know the routine and in meantime you can practise harness training round the house :)