PDA

View Full Version : Dead oven!

MrsH
25-11-2010, 09:33 PM
My gas oven died today :( I'd put a roast in and when I went to check on it later the oven was dark and cool. I think it must be an electrical fault as the clock, timer and electronic ignition aren't working so the gas supply cut out. We've checked the plug, socket and fuse and all are fine so the problem must be internal.

I really don't know who to call out to have a look at it, do I call the electrician or a gas fitter? or the company that fitted the kitchen about 14 years ago? or do I get a service call from the manufacturer? Good job it wasn't Christmas with a turkey to cook :shock:

dandysmom
25-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Oh how dreadful, a cook's nightmare! I have no idea who to call, I'd call the gas company if it were me and ask their advice. Do you have enough electrical appliances that you can manage to eat while the oven is down: a toaster oven, electric skillet, steamer, etc? Hope you can get it sorted very very soon!

MrsH
26-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Yes thanks Eileen, I've still got the hob with 4 burners as well as the microwave and slow oven so we shan't starve but it's just so annoying! I think I'll start by phoning the kitchen fitters and ask who they would suggest, I've got a feeling this could be rather expensive! :?

angieh
26-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Oh dear MrsH - what a shame. Still, better now than at Christmas.

You might need whatever has now replaced a Corgi engineer.

Kazz
26-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Corgi was "replaced" by Gas Safe register.

My first port of call may well have been the service dept of the Cooker manufacturer like Bosch, Indesit.....whoever.

Hope you get it resolved soon

angieh
26-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks Kazz - I knew Corgi had been replaced, but couldn't remember by what/whom. I always thought it funny that The Queen's doggies could come and install gas appliances.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(OK - I do have a silly sense of humour!)

calismum
26-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Ooh I hate when 'big' things go wrong.

I'd start with the appliance manufacturer and take it from there.

Fingers crossed it's just a wee thing.

MrsH
26-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Well I contacted the manufacturer New World for a service visit but my oven predates this particular company taking on the New World name so they redirected us to a company called Maloney's who deal with older models. A service call has been booked, the earliest they can come is Monday 6th Dec at a cost of £135 covering call-out, parts and labour. If they can't repair it I have to pay call-out charge of £48 anyway http://cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/Smileys/default/diablo.gif
Fingers crossed it can be fixed otherwise I'll have to try to get a new one in time for Christmas!

calismum
26-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Fingers and toes crossed!!!

dandysmom
26-11-2010, 08:39 PM
How annoying, hope they can fix it; everything crossed here too!