PDA

View Full Version : Tropical fish

pamela81
05-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Hi there, not only do i have Harris, i also have 3 tropical fish tanks. A 16" which at the mo has 4 platys in it, a 30" with 2 silver sharks, 3 harlequins, 3 neons, a glowlight, 6 penguin tetras, a plec and a siamese fighter fish and a new tank which is 4ft which has an iridescent shark in it a the mo but looking to add possibly angels and some other bigger fish. Would be interesting to hear if any other members have fish and what mxes they have in their tanks and possibly swap notes :)

farthing
05-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Weused to have a couple of tanks- one had a pair of pearl gouramis, one had a red tailed shark and some harlequins and our 4 ft one had discus and corys. The discus were great but the council change from chlorine to chloramine and we did a water change and lost nearly all our fish. Here we are on well water so the water quality worries us, and we don't have the time either.

Shelley123
06-11-2010, 12:24 AM
We don't have fish at the moment but i do like them.
In the past we have had tanks, think my favorites are neons and cardinals.
Marine fish are spectacular but there is a lot more work involved.
would be nice to see some pics of your tanks

dandysmom
06-11-2010, 01:51 AM
We had tanks with gouramis and angel fish when I was a child; had a tank many years later with zebras, tetras, guppies and an angel, who eventually killed off the others as it grew huge, and died when the tank sprung a leak when I was at work. :( . I'd love to see pics of yours.

angieh
06-11-2010, 12:36 PM
My OH and I have often thought about getting a tank .... would be a big learning curve so I am very happy to read any info about keeping fish.

pamela81
06-11-2010, 02:55 PM
i have had fish since i was about 13 till the age of about 26 then had to give my tank away but steven was interested in them because i wanted another tank, didnt expect to have 3 though!!. I will get photos of mine up soon to show you them. they are great to watch and the learning about keeping them all comes once you have the tank. Lots of aquarium shops are happy to offer advise about which fish to keep together and how to look after them. And any member here with tanks im sure would be happy to help :)

calismum
06-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I have a tank with some fantail goldfish, white cloud mountain minnows, a bronze catfish and mollies. The mollies breed now and again so I am limited as to what else I can add. Considering setting up a smaller tank and moving the males into that.

Would love to add a shoal of neons. Had coldwater for years, this is my first venture into tropical. Love watching the tank, very restful.

angieh
06-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Just a thought - how do you all protect your tanks from your feline fishers???

dandysmom
06-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Mine had a sort of semi-cover thingy with a light in it that prevented any little paws dipping into the tank. That was years ago, sure there is something more sophisticated now.

calismum
06-11-2010, 09:29 PM
I have a hood that came with the tank. The hood has the clips for the lights A little flap can get lifted for feeding.

pamela81
06-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Harris sits and watches them sometimes but we have hoods on all of the tanks, there is 1 that he can sit on the table and watch but as much as he watches, he doesnt do anything else and the fish dont seemed fussed by him. He loves the plec in the middle tank and puts his paws up on the glass and watches him swimmnig about and hes too wee to reach the 4ft tank because the stand is quite big

Danielle0211
18-11-2010, 08:32 PM
I have two fish tanks a nursery tank and a tank with guppies and swordtails and plec I need to get some more soon I love corys so I think I may get some of them.

pamela81
28-12-2010, 08:41 PM
thats our baby platys getting bigger now. We also realised that 1 of the other females were expecting on christmas eve and by boxing day, we had another 8 baby fish!!! This time, the mother is silver. The older babies are all turning out to be orange platys.