PDA

View Full Version : As a responsible cat owner what happens when????

rebeccauk
02-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi Everyone

This question is probably so frequently asked but I wonder if anyone could help me with a concise answer……

I’m a new cat owner – have never had a cat in my life before. Snowball came 3 weeks ago and I took him to the vets last night for some injection or other – sounds very naïve and ignorant but I actually had no idea what they were vaccinating him against. Snowball is a rescue cat and in the blur or having the new guy in our lives I didn’t think to ask what injections/ treatments etc he would need. The appointment yesterday was pre-arranged by the rescue centre owner so the vets knew what had been booked and just got on with it!!! I was preoccupied because Snowball was so distressed with the car journey and he pooed in his box and then got it all over his coat so I was busy trying to reassure him and didn’t really think about asking the vet about vaccinations etc….

The vet vaccinated him and then told me that he had fleas and that I needed to treat them…stupid me hadn’t really researched cat fleas or even thought about the fact that he might have them!!! The rescue centre owner told me that he had been treated for fleas but perhaps this was a few weeks back and they have taken hold again!!!

Anyway, I’m now using frontline on the vets recommendation but I’m a little upset that I may have an infestation in my house as an immensely house-proud Mummy to my little boy I’d hate to have fleas in the house….any tips on getting rid???

I now need to know firstly how often to treat Snowball for fleas…the vets said every 4 weeks – is this the general consensus? Also what other vaccinations or treatments will he need on a yearly/ adhoc basis? My friend mentioned worming treatments and I have no clue about these. Can anyone come up with a concise list of what I need to do and when? I appreciate I should be doing my own research on this but I’ve been trawling the internet for a while and it seems like people seem to have different views on what to do and when so I’m a little confused about which is the best way to go about it.

Thanks to everyone in advance

Rebecca

Elaine
02-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Did the vet give you a vaccination card? All vets I have used give a vaccination card which tells you what your cat has been vaccinated against. It's normally Cat flu and Felv (feline leukemia). They normally give the first set of vaccinations then 21 days later they get another set, then yearly they get a booster. If you are at all unsure ask the rescue if they had the first set done before you collected your cat. I'd also ask her if she wormed your kitty and what flea product she used and when (for both wormer and flea treatment).
Buy a good quality flea treatment for your home and use it on the cats bedding and all soft furnishings, as well as around your carpets and skirting.
Worm your cat every 3 months if it is to be an outdoor cat, in door cats needn't be wormed quite as often.
Frontline say to de-flea every 5 weeks but again, I think, many would do this every few months for an outdoor cat. Indoor cats less frequently.
Hope that helps.

rebeccauk
02-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Ok I've checked and he's had the cat flu before I got him and last night was the leukaemia....so if I'm right that will be sorted for another year and I can book him in for the next set this time next year.
The rehomer did say he had been wormed...and yes he's an outdoor guy so Ill be keeping up with that every 3 months....can anyone recommend a wormer brand?
It is frontline that I've got for the fleas but great if I can stretch it out a little longer than every 4 weeks. I've heard from someone at work today that advantage is better...any thoughts???

Elaine
02-11-2010, 09:47 PM
I use Millbemax as a wormer, and Advantage for the fleas treatment.

dandysmom
02-11-2010, 10:23 PM
In many areas fleas have become resistant to Frontline, Advantage seems to work better. You can also purchase electric flea traps, I've found them to be very helpful.

Stephan
03-11-2010, 02:52 PM
What can I add? We all had to start somewhere and that first cat/kitten asks so many questions of us. But you do get there and soon it`s not so daunting.

Welcome to the wonderful world of having a cat:D

Danielle0211
03-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I had no idea fleas had become resistant to front line in some areas! I have still been using it! I will stock up on Advantage at crufts in March then rather than the usual Frontline supply!
Hope Snowball settles in well.

Shelley123
04-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Welcome to the forum Rebecca and Snowball, you have certainly come to the right place for information.
Can't realy add anything that hasn't been said. I worm mine every three months for both Tape and roundworms and tend to de flea them every 2 to 3 months also, maybe more in summer.
It wouls be lovely to see a pic of snowball :)

dandysmom
04-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Second the pic request!