PDA

View Full Version : Next doors Cat

Shelley123
12-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Some of you may be aware that the Cats next door are banished to live outside at all times.
They do sometimes camp out in our house but since getting the pup this hasnt happened.
However with the cold weather one of the cats has been coming in through the cat flap.
The other evening she came in and Malaika heard her and set of at a run to chase her. By the time we got there Lulu was hunched at one side of the corridor and Malaika was sat at the other side unsure what to do with her once she's caught her :lol:
Last night we were sat on the settee with Malaika who was sound asleep and in walks Lulu bold as brass, she jumped onto the other settee, curled up and went to sleep.
This morning i again found her on the settee and put her outside before Malaika got up.
Once dressed i came into the living room and went behind the settee to open the curtains. I stepped on something squishy and there was Lulu again.

Moli
12-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Looks like she has invited herself in...poor girl....

PoshPuss
13-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Well, Lulu has decided that she'd rather face Malaika's chasing than a night out in the cold and who can blame her-bless.
Cats are smarter than dogs, she'll suss out a strategy! ;)

wilbar
13-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Doesn't that just show you how desparate Lulu is to be in the warmth of your house ~ willing to risk the wrath of your dog & your other cats, just to be able to sleep in the warm. I think it's very sad that your neighbours don't allow their cats in the house.

Our domestic cats ancestors lived in hot climates, arid & desert-like conditions in Africa & the Middle-East. They're not equipped to live in cold wet climates so out winter weather is not something they can cope with. They're not descended from Scottish wild cats that can cope with low temperatures.

I don't know if you can approach your neighbours & maybe suggest a shed/outhouse with fleece-lined beds off the ground? It would be better than nothing, otherwise they may well find all their cats decide to go & live elsewhere!

angieh
13-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Poor little Lulu. Advice from Wilbar above is good. You know that we have had to exclude Harley from the house because of his bullying Kizzy and Pip, but he does have the old hen house to call home. He has a fleece lined bed in there and the whole house is raised off the ground. He seems to be doing well at the moment, but I may have to rethink his housing once the cold weather comes along.

How do Tom and Jerry react to Lulu?

Shelley123
13-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Doesn't that just show you how desparate Lulu is to be in the warmth of your house ~ willing to risk the wrath of your dog & your other cats, just to be able to sleep in the warm. I think it's very sad that your neighbours don't allow their cats in the house.

Our domestic cats ancestors lived in hot climates, arid & desert-like conditions in Africa & the Middle-East. They're not equipped to live in cold wet climates so out winter weather is not something they can cope with. They're not descended from Scottish wild cats that can cope with low temperatures.

I don't know if you can approach your neighbours & maybe suggest a shed/outhouse with fleece-lined beds off the ground? It would be better than nothing, otherwise they may well find all their cats decide to go & live elsewhere!

I totaly agree with you Wilbar , the situation is very upsetting. Both myself and o/h have spoken to neighbour and spelled it out how cruel it was. Our offer of a box for shelter was also turned down. We even managed to find a shelter willing to take them both but they insisted quite rightly that she had to ring them herself. I'm afraid this didn't happen and we are left doing the best we can by them, but it's not realy enough.
Angie, Tom and Jerry are real gents and accept them both.
Trouble is 2 more cats is two too many for Malaika.

dandysmom
13-10-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't know what to suggest; a shame that it's so upsetting for Malaika, especially as Tom and Jerry are accepting of her. I cannot understand the neighbor's attitude,,, :(
Is there someplace on your property you could rig up a shelter for them? Poor cats.....

Shelley123
13-10-2010, 04:38 PM
I don't know what to suggest; a shame that it's so upsetting for Malaika, especially as Tom and Jerry are accepting of her. I cannot understand the neighbor's attitude,,, :(
Is there someplace on your property you could rig up a shelter for them? Poor cats.....

We have been working on this for a couple of years now Eileen, when we had the two old men Dogs, the cats came in more. I can't understand her attitude either, i can't believe she's never taken offence as we have been quite explicit, we have tried allsorts but to no avail. One of the cats has a cardboard box with a fur in, this is in a dry spot of out outside porch. The other girl wont go in this but she does come in upstairs when o/h is on the computer.
Over the years this situation has caused us a lot of stress, on occasions me and the o/h have fallen out over it.
He may build them a wooden shelter for winter. I have decided that i'm going to take over worming and de fleaing them because if they come into our house untreated, our own animals are in danger.
It's so very sad and they deserve better.

calismum
13-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I sometimes find t so hard to understand people. Why get animals and them treat them like that.

They are lucky you are willing to look out for them poor things.

angieh
13-10-2010, 04:57 PM
What annoys me most about this situation is that Shelley found them a place in a shelter - rare as gold dust, but the stupid neighbour would not stir herself to phone up. Those cats could have been rehomed by now.

Poor Shelley and her OH and poor cats. You seem to have been left to take over some responsibility for them (flea and worm) almost by default.

It's not the cats' fault, nor yours but you are all suffering. Are your neighbours right in the head?

Tink
13-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Aww poor kitties. They are lucky you are so helpful toward them.

Shelley123
13-10-2010, 10:13 PM
What annoys me most about this situation is that Shelley found them a place in a shelter - rare as gold dust, but the stupid neighbour would not stir herself to phone up. Those cats could have been rehomed by now.

Poor Shelley and her OH and poor cats. You seem to have been left to take over some responsibility for them (flea and worm) almost by default.

It's not the cats' fault, nor yours but you are all suffering. Are your neighbours right in the head?

Oh yes Angie, she's right in the head alright, just doesn't give a damn about the cats. Other than the way she treats them she's actualy quite a good neighbour. We were all friends but it does spoil the friendship.
It is unforgivable to turn down the shelter place and relegate them to a miserable life outdoors in winter. She keeps them apparently so her adult son doesn't get upset.
To be honest it makes my blood boil.:evil: :evil:

dandysmom
13-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Does the adult son live there? Have you had the opportunity to discuss it with him? Maybe he's not as thick-headed as his Mum .....

Shelley123
13-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Does the adult son live there? Have you had the opportunity to discuss it with him? Maybe he's not as thick-headed as his Mum .....

We have mentioned how cruel it is for them to be outdoors and he says he's let them in but mum wont.
At the moment one cat is in her box outdoors in our porch and the other is on our bed, just been getting lots of felty knots out of her fur. We will put her out later but i think she'l come back in once Malaika goes to bed.
I will have to treat them though as i'm bothered about my own pets as well as these two.

dandysmom
13-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes, you definitely don't want a flea infestation! Is she at least feeding them?

Shelley123
13-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Yes, you definitely don't want a flea infestation! Is she at least feeding them?

Most days Eileen

dandysmom
13-10-2010, 11:36 PM
"most days" ....... sigh :(

wilbar
14-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm not surprised that your neighbours cats are trying to make a home with you & I wonder if they have or are trying with other neighbours? Have you talked to anyone else in the neighbourhood?

What about telling your neighbour that her cats are gradually moving in with you & other neighbours & if she's not prepared to let them in her house, does she have any objection if you & other neighbours take them in & keep them? Then, maybe, if you manage to find places in shelters/rescues again, the owner will think they've just move out!!

Shelley123
14-10-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm not surprised that your neighbours cats are trying to make a home with you & I wonder if they have or are trying with other neighbours? Have you talked to anyone else in the neighbourhood?

What about telling your neighbour that her cats are gradually moving in with you & other neighbours & if she's not prepared to let them in her house, does she have any objection if you & other neighbours take them in & keep them? Then, maybe, if you manage to find places in shelters/rescues again, the owner will think they've just move out!!

Don't think the Cats go anywhere else. She does know they come into our house as we have told her many times and she has seen them in when she has called on us. Before we got the Dog we made it clear that the cats wouldn't be able to come in. She tells us not to let them in not because she cares for the cats but so that we won't be bothered by them.
She simply wont or can't understand were we are coming from.
Your suggestion of us taking them in properly and then rehoming is a good one, except then i dont think we could go through with it. I am resistant to taking over ownership because of vet expenses.

farthing
14-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Its a really tough one. I can never understand peoples attitude to cats, I guess the problem comes from the propaganda that cats are independant. Most people seem to think this means they can fend for themselves.:roll:
I can't blame the cats for turning to you but it does put you in a difficult postion. I guess if you have a shed or something you can make home and take over the routine treatment that is at least ensuring them some comfort.
Sorry can't be of much help but legally your hands are tied if the owner won't comply.