PDA

View Full Version : Claw Clipping

Phoenix
12-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I've been trying to do Dylan's claws today (usually I let the vet do it). I managed to trim Dylan's front claws but Dylan started getting really frantic struggling etc so I haven't managed to do his back claws.

Is there any way I can coax him tomorrow to let me look at his back sets of claws? He's really objecting strongly to he trying to do his claws in general (just about managed to do his front claws without getting scratched accidentally)

I think I know what part of the trouble is - Dylan doesn't like showing his claws to anyone, not even the vet.

angieh
12-10-2010, 01:15 PM
You are brave to try RCR! I have only ever once clipped any cat's claw - and that was my dear Smudge who had a rather lethal looking scimitar like curling claw which I thought would actually dig into her leg if I didn't cut it. She was an angel and gave me no trouble. Merlin had his nearside rear claws cut at the vet just before he had his cyst removed because it was the leg he would have used to scratch his face. He had claws that clattered about like a cutlery drawer. He certainly didn't like getting those clipped and we left the other side!!!

dandysmom
12-10-2010, 04:28 PM
I've always been able to clip mine with the exception of Patches, but have never done the back ones. They;re usually much blunter and don't seem to need clipping.

Elaine
12-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Is there any one who can help by holding him for you? Have you tried wrapping him in a towel with the foot needing clipped uncovered?
http://www.cat-behavior-explained.com/cat-claws.html

dandysmom
12-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Tried the towel bit with Patches: no go! She thrashed so and screamed bloody murder so loud she could have been heard half a mile away. Someone to hold might help, but Dylan sounds to me like another cat that WILL NOT cooperate ... :roll:

All the others I started when they were kittens so they just took it as a fact of life.

Phoenix
12-10-2010, 08:34 PM
If the vet's doing it, Dylan will wriggle a little as though he's ticklish but other than that he's fine with his claws being done.

When I did them today though, he really kicked off, he didn't cry or anything but he did get really frantic. I followed the advice on the link Elaine about being behind Dylan but that didn't help. He's accepted my mum and stepdad and is accepting younger brother but he decided after I'd done his claws that I was not "flavour of the month" because of me doing his claws.