PDA

View Full Version : Cat Teeth

Kobster
03-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Hi All! I just wanted to hear your experiences with kittens shedding their baby teeth.

When Sully was a kitten, I noticed he had HORRIBLE breath, smelled like rotten meat for weeks and weeks, but once all his adult teeth were in this went away.

Ninja has never had that trademark "kitten breath" And he appears to still have all his kitten teeth at 7 months. His upper canine teeth are coming in on top of his baby canines. The rest of his teeth appear to be kitten teeth with no sign of adult teeth coming in. Shouldn't all his teeth be in by now? I know deciduous (retained) canine teeth are a common problem in small dog breeds, I've honestly never seen it in a cat.

Just wondering when I need to start worrying...8 months....or 9.....?

Speaking of cat teeth...I had my dog and my brothers cat Thurston in to the vet two weeks ago for dental xrays and cleaning. (We don't have equipment to handle dental issues in my emergency practice) I told the nurse when I handed Thurston over that he was very fear aggressive and would need to handled with care. She explained to me that they would use an intra muscular injection, and it would require minimum handling.

Well I came to pick them up and was told they were unable to remove Thurstons IV (Canula) because he was fractious. They left it for me. (Which is fine, I'm a Vet Nurse, I can deal with it, BUT...) What I don't understand is why they didn't take it out before he woke up? Seems like it would have saved him (and the staff) a lot of stress. It took days for Thurston to come around to himself after that. Am I right to be annoyed with the vets?

I also had an issue with the leg they placed my dogs IV in. They used the one she has previously broken, has a plate in and is tender/painful already. When I picked her up, I touched her leg (they hadn't pulled that IV yet either ) and she SCREAMED! I was so upset. The reason I use these vets is they KNOW my pets and their history. Her other three legs are perfectly usable, not sure why they had to use her bad one.

Can you tell I'm frustrated......

Anyway, tell me about your cats teeth.

dandysmom
03-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Not a good vet visit, Kobster!

None of mine as kittens had bad breath. My Siamese did have a double set of upper canine teeth, but the deciduous ones fell out and he had no problems. I can't remember the age when most of them had their adult teeth; has been a long, long time ago. I never did find any shed teeth anywhere in the house, assume they swallowed them .....

calismum
03-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Not much help here either - never noticed any probs with any of mine over the years and can't remember when their teeth fell out. Have only ever found one small canine tooth.

I think I'd have to put in a complaint about that vet visit, why go to a practice that you trust because they know your animals only to discover they may as well have been strangers to them.