PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel hunting for food

Mags
09-09-2010, 07:07 PM
We saw this little fella hunting for food in Florida ........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/Orlando2010/rsz_dscf1877.jpg

......... and what did he find? A chip!!! :lol:
Looks like he was enjoying it too!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/Orlando2010/rsz_dscf1878.jpg

dandysmom
09-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Aaaargh, Mags!! You know how I feel about squirrels! :mrgreen:

When I saw the title I thought it was about HOW to hunt squirrels!!

(Will admit it's a cute pic. though)

Mags
09-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Aaaargh, Mags!! You know how I feel about squirrels! :mrgreen:

When I saw the title I thought it was about HOW to hunt squirrels!!

(Will admit it's a cute pic. though)
Sorry Eileen, I thought he looked cute too! :-D

angieh
09-09-2010, 08:54 PM
That's the trouble - they are cute! But not AS cute as the reds. Still this particular grey was in his country of origin, so that's OK with me!!!! (Sorry, Eileen!)

dandysmom
09-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Sorry Eileen, I thought he looked cute too! :-D

LOL, Mags, you knew that would get a response from me, I'm so predictable!. Angie, if you shaved those tails they'd be noticeaable as the arboreal rats they are. :mrgreen:

Tink
09-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Aww he's cute..
Saw one in the backyard the other day taunting the dogs by hanging at the tip of a tree branch above their heads :shock: :lol:

angieh
09-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Have you heard the racket they make too??? We don't stand a chance getting to the walnuts before they do. I am quite worried that the cats will corner one one day.

Tink
09-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I've only heard the racket they make by driving the dogs insane :lol: Luckily I've only seen them on the dog part of the yard over the fence at our neighbors and not on the pond side where the bird feeder is :wink:. I had a bag of walnuts sitting in the pantry from last Christmas that I needed to clear out but thought it a shame to throw away so i emptied it far down at the bottom of our hill so that some animals could find and eat them yet not put it together they were from our house :lol: , now i wonder if i shouldn't have done that.... :-D

dandysmom
09-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Have you heard the racket they make too??? We don't stand a chance getting to the walnuts before they do. I am quite worried that the cats will corner one one day.

I pray they don't. Anything with enough strength in it's jaws to crack a black walnut is something I never want near a cat! I mean that seriously, not my usual rant.

Manyana13
09-09-2010, 10:46 PM
What great pictures! I think they look cute too... but they are pesky!! ;-)

Moli
09-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Very cute....

Tink
09-09-2010, 11:13 PM
When I was a kid, we lived across from a large field. Two big male tabbies we had that were mostly outdoor cats but did visit us when it was cold, often brought us dead squirrels :shock: They must be quite nutritious though as they'd be gone for weeks and show up with chubby faces, looking much like squirrels themselves!

angieh
10-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Evidently, they make good eating. Squirrels, that is, not tabby cats!!! Learned that from Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall's Wild Food programme on the telly.

Sounds like an idea to me ................

dandysmom
10-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Angie, Brunswick stew is a well known Southern dish here made with squirrel meat! Although nowadays most people make it with chicken ......

Unfortunately. discharging a firearm in the City is a HUGE no-no, so although it would solve my problem, no can do!! :mrgreen:My policeman neighbor and I have often wistfully discussed his service revolver ... he's the one who had only 20 daffodils survive out of the 100 he planted..:roll:

angieh
10-09-2010, 05:03 PM
mmmmm - you don't have to shoot the squirrels Eileen ..... I'm sure your policeman neighbour could set a couple of traps?

I wonder how is best to cook a squirrel. How does your Brunswick stew recipe look?

It seems to be a popular idea here in U.K. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/3636774/First-catch-your-squirrel....html) at least!

dandysmom
10-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Carolyn tried traps, Angie; an exterminator came and got the family that had chewed a hole in her soffit board to nest in the porch roof. He relocated them and within a week new ones had moved in :( We are over-run with them.

Loved that link, so funny! :D

Here's a link to Brunswick stew: I've made it (with chicken!)

http://southernfood.about.com/od/brunswickstew/r/bl80111c.htm