PDA

View Full Version : Don't tell the cats - rats!

random
04-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Hey guys, not been around in a while, had a lot going on here, broke up with my b/f 7 weeks ago so just been moping about pretty much but starting to feel better now, slowly, anyhow, thought i'd just update you all, everyone is doing great here, all furries alike and some new additions in rodent form, all rescues so I shall introduce them and a little about each of them, hope you like them, even though these guys are practically lunch on this forum!

Ok first these are my boys, Jack and James. They came from someone who just couldn't be bothered with them anymore. He was actually thinking about 'setting them free'. :shock: Came to me in a tiny cage I wouldn't even find suitable for a hamster personally, never mind 2 rats, but there you go! Of course I sorted that when they came to live with me! they were not used to being handled and very shy, they are still quite shy as far as rats go but much more handleable.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/randoms_pix/DSCF8938.jpg

This is Kate, she came under similar circumstances from a friend of a friend who heard I took Jack and James and asked did I want Kate. The pet shop she was from wouldn't take her back because she was 'unhandleable' and 'nippy' and wouldn't be able to be sold on. She came to me in a small fish tank, with shredded newspaper covering in pi$$ for bedding. And that's it! :shock: A week after I got her she was sat on my knee while I was on the pc, happy as larry, chattering away, unhandleable my ar$e! :evil: More like they couldn't be bothered putting any work in. :roll:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/randoms_pix/DSCF8950.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/randoms_pix/DSCF8956.jpg

And these are my newest additions, Ana and Lucia. I was looking for a wee female friend for Kate as ideally rats should be kept in pairs (or more!) and I had her cage up next to the boys cage but was on the look out for another wee girl. These 2 came from the Pets at Home adoption section, their previous owner said he was moving to a new place and was not allowed pets there. They are only 5-6 months old, maybe i'm just cynical but I think more likely the novelty just wore off.

Ana
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/randoms_pix/DSC02120.jpg

Lucia
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/randoms_pix/DSC02129.jpg

My camera is over at the church as I am taking some pics for the website but soon as I get it back I will update with photos of the feline gang!

Hope everyone is well and all the furkids are good too. :-D

angieh
04-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Hi Random! Nice to say "Welcome Back" - sorry about your breakup though.

I am not really sure about rats - I quite like your Ana and Lucia probably because they look more like "fancy rats" than the brown animals, who do look very rat-like! Sorry. But you have a heart of gold and I am sure these small creatures will have a lovely caring home with you.

I very much look forward to your feline (and canine?) update photos.

PoshPuss
04-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Hello Random, glad you feel better and able to join in again. :)
I had to pass over the pics I'm afraid, I'm not very good with rodents but I'm sure they will have happy homes with you and your other furries. :D Good for you for being a caring human instead of an old scaredy cat like me! :lol:

Kim
04-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Hi Random, sorry to hear about the split with your b/f :(

The ratties are cute, I have to confess they are not my thing, think it's the tails!! But I agree, you are an angel to take on those unwanteds.

dandysmom
04-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Hi, good to see you back; sorry about the breakup. :( I too am not a rat person but am glad you rescued yours and are enjoying them. How have the cats reacted??

Kazz
04-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Nice to see you back sorry about the break up but don't get swamped in rats.

I would not think I was a rat person but spoke to someone who owned a couple in the butchers of all place today, strange you should post after I have a conversation about rats.
The conversation started because she was carrying a drainpipe...which was it turned out for the rats. :)
The woman was telling me she took them on when her neighbour a student got fed up and was going to "set them free" she took them hoping to rehome them but she said are ideal pets for the lazy ;) but very clever animals. Her hubby apparently loves them.

So seems Rattie rescue is becoming more popular. Hers are two boys called Baldrick and Edmund from the Blackadder series.

farthing
04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Hello, sorry to hear about your split up.

I love rats, we got the first one about a year ago now- also from the P@H adoption. She was handed in at 18 months and was covered in scabs due to mites. She looked so sad we fell in love and took her home. We think they are great creatures, full of character. I actually like the brown ones, although we saw some black hooded ones in P@H and they were very pretty too.

Glad you have taken them on and will care for them as they should be.

random
05-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate they are a pet that isn't for everyone but then so are cats, I know a few people who are not keen on them either but each to their own!

They are great pets, very clever and full of character, nothing like a hamster or a gerbil.

Haha Kazz I promise not to get swamped in rats, or become a crazy cat lady! Although I probably already qualify for crazy cat lady status! The boys I actually got while I was still with him, the girls came after...

Eileen the cats are not really allowed around the rats but they have seen them in their cages a few times, obviously under supervision. The 'hunters' of the pride were at first, as you would expect - eyes black like saucers and very interested, Kiara and Princess just ignored them from the onset, they were totally indifferent. But now, even Tucker, probably the best hunter of the lot, these days he is just vaguely interested but soon becomes bored and would rather have a cuddle. However, I would never allow one out of the cage while any of the cats are around or even unsupervised in their cages, I wouldn't trust the felines a jot, they are cats at the end of the day and the rats are fair game, so they are in seperate quarters!

alexgirl73
05-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi Random, nice to see you on here :D LOVING the ratties! I haven't had any for a few years now, since I got very upset when my last girls went to the bridge. However, I wouldn't rule out having more in the future (I kept rats for over 10 years).

lynz85
05-09-2010, 06:08 PM
your ratties are lovely! got 11 of my own :)

Shelley123
05-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Very sorry to hear about your split with your B/F. Lovely pics of your Rats, i particularly like the first one of Kate, she's so cute. They all are and what a good job you have given them all a home.
I have never had a Rat as a pet but i believe they are very intelligent as you have said.

Moli
05-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Good to see you back Random......sorry to hear about your break up though....

Love you new additions....One thing I have always wanted.....They all look well settled in...

calismum
05-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Sorry to hear about the break up - never had rats, but a friends daughter has 3 and I find them really clever we things.

Vikki has built a rat assault course round her bedroom and times how quick they solve the various problems she sets for them. A croos between mousetrap and mastermind.

random
05-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks everyone, it's good to be back. :mrgreen:

Oooh a ratty assault course, they would love that!

calismum
05-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone, it's good to be back. :mrgreen:

Oooh a ratty assault course, they would love that!

It is really good random - she has mazes made out of shoeboxes and cereal packets. Tubes they climb up the inside of. Walls made of books. Ropes they crawl across. 'show jumping' and little treat piles in upturned pots or in the maze etc.

They love it. I think your guys need a puzzle park too!!! :-D