PDA

View Full Version : Gravy Toppers

angieh
01-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Several members, myself included, have remarked that we would like to be able to buy nutritional cat food gravy. My Pip, for example, loves the gravy that comes in wet food pouches but will not eat the meat.

In my travels around the Internet, I came across this (http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=346&pf_id=50787). Unfortunately, there are no listed ingredients and only 3 reviews, which don't sound too great. I thought I'd post the link though, just to prove that such a product is available.

Further info: I've now searched other sites and it seems this product is fairly widespread in availability and does not contain wheat.

Now found basic ingredients: purified water, dextrose, glycine, chicken, yeast, dried tomato, minerals. Analysis: Protein 1.5%, fat 0.5%, minerals 1%, moisture 90%

dandysmom
01-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks, Angie. I'll see if I can find a source here, would like to try it.

Moli
01-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Murphy likes the gravy, but tends to pick at the meat, so I have started adding some water to it and mashing it till its almost liquid, and he is eating the lot...

JBalways2000
01-09-2010, 11:31 PM
ooh i might have to try some of that if we keep having trouble with AJ-thanks Angie! I actually tried the Pets at Home gravy a couple of christmas' ago and the boys didnt like it at all, it was really watery though so maybe if it had been thicker like the consistancy of the gravy in alot of the wet foods they might have liked it? It did cross my mind to pick up some bisto gravy to try with AJs prescription diet, but i wasnt sure if that was ok so decided against it!

angieh
02-09-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't know JB, but would suspect Bisto or other human gravy granules would have onion in them.

dandysmom
02-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Or possibly salt too .....

Darwin
03-09-2010, 07:04 AM
I would think any hooman gravy would have far too much salt in it for a cat to be fed safely.

MrsH
03-09-2010, 10:30 AM
How about this Angie? I make my own dog biscuits and one recipe required Debittered Brewer's Yeast powder (never heard of it before but Holland and Barrett's stock it) It smells lovely and meaty. I think I've seen ads for vitamin tabs for cats containing it so I'm fairly sure it's ok for cats (needs checking though) You could mix a bit of the powder with some warm water as a gravy, maybe add some tomato puree as well if that's ok?

angieh
03-09-2010, 12:00 PM
That's a good tip MrsH. I will look into that! I wonder what people use it for?

That's very convenient - I have been trying to find out what will help me get rid of the ridges in my fingernails and it seems I need B vitamins, of which the Brewer's Yeast is a good source ....... so I may try it for myself as well as trying to make some cat gravy with it. Probably a once in a while thing for the cats though.

JBalways2000
03-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Yes as i said i didnt think bisto would quite be suitable for the cats somehow:lol:

You would think more places would have made something like the gravy toppers by now, seems like a really good idea to make sure the kitties get more liquid but still be able to have their dry food-think my guys might thank me if i get some!

Manyana13
07-09-2010, 03:33 PM
I saw these gravy toppers at a garden centre yesterday (a bit random!) but thought I would try it out.

Verdict: - well, none of my cats liked it! Vinnie is the only one who actually tasted it (briefly), the other 2 just sniffed it and turned up their noses!

The dog loves it though!!! :-)

angieh
07-09-2010, 03:55 PM
That agrees with the product reviews I have read, Manyana13 - and I have yet to hear of anything that dogs won't eat!

dandysmom
07-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Interesting!~ So three paws down from your crew .....

MrsH
07-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I have yet to hear of anything that dogs won't eat!

I know of quite a few dogs who won't eat the kibble bought specially for them! :roll: :lol::lol::lol:

Tink
07-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Brewers yeast is actually quite good for cats as it gives them something that's still "alive" to eat which helps regulate their gastric juices in the way it would be naturally in the wild if they were to eat something they just caught that had been living not long ago. It is brought up in Anitra Frazier's The New Natural Cat. Excellent read, I've actually ordered her Vita Mineral Mix because I am too lazy to find the ingredients and mix myself but yeast is a great additive to the feline diet, it's also supposed to help the quality of the protein in the existing food and such as I understand it.

dandysmom
07-09-2010, 04:58 PM
What kind of yeast, Tink? The regular packets of dried that you buy for baking?

Tink
07-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Any kind of cooking grade yeast as I understand it; I have her book on the shelf here, let me go double check to be sure.. :wink:

Tink
07-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Ah, I've found it:
"any food yeast: brewer's, tarula, or nutritional"

angieh
07-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I know of quite a few dogs who won't eat the kibble bought specially for them! :roll: :lol::lol::lol:

NO! :shock: :shock: :shock:

angieh
07-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks for that info re yeast, Tink. I'm definitely going to give the Brewer's yeast that MrsH mentioned a try - for me and the cats!

As a bit of an "aside" - I had heard that if you take Brewer's Yeast early in the Spring, it helps stop mosquitoes biting. Anyone else heard that???

dandysmom
07-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Wish I'd heard that earlier, Angie, they gave been abominable this year! Worth a try.

angieh
07-09-2010, 08:44 PM
I just remember a boss of mine sending a large jar of the tablets to her niece who was working in China. You have to start taking them early .....

Mags
07-09-2010, 09:18 PM
I usually take a course of Vit B tablets before we travel to any mossie countries, it definitely helps.

Moli
07-09-2010, 11:06 PM
That agrees with the product reviews I have read, Manyana13 - and I have yet to hear of anything that dogs won't eat!
You have not met my fussy Dogs Angie:roll: