PDA

View Full Version : Question about handstripping

Elaine
25-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I guess BD would be the best person to answer this so here is my question.
Will Raynes coat change texture if I have her spayed and therefore need to be clipped rather than stripped?
A groomer told me that this would be the case. If this is the case will clipping her coat make her more exposed to the elements?

MrsH
25-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I've no idea about a border's coat but I know that neutering has a huge effect on the coat of cocker spaniels, both boys and girls. It goes all weak and fluffy instead of straight and silky and it becomes impossible to strip so neutered CSs are usually clipped.

Why not send BD a PM?

calismum
25-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Would echo above for Golden Retrievers. The undercoat becomes very soft and profuse. The outercoat is fluffy and loses texture. A friend has Italian Spinones (coats more like Borders) and she has similar problems.

borderdawn
25-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi there.

Most bitches coats in Borders do not change, but a few do. I have a spayed bitch here and her coat never changed a bit. The males certainly do and Id say 90% will need clipping but it doesnt seem to be the case with bitches.

Clipping ruins a Borders coat, destroys the harsh texture, makes it totally UN weatherproof and it goes all fluffy too.

Has she had a season yet?

Elaine
25-08-2010, 09:25 PM
No season to speak of as yet, am also undecided as to whether I should spay her before she has a proper season or not...
She did swell up like a pumpkin but no bleeding and no signs of phantom, so may have been a colourless season...

dandysmom
25-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Just a possibly stupid question from non-dog person: what is handstripping?

MrsH
25-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Just a possibly stupid question from non-dog person: what is handstripping?

Essentially it's plucking out unwanted hair to retain the required look for the breed, I only really know about cockers though. Morgan for example would have a very tufty head if I just allowed the hair to grow but I maintain a shorter, thinner hair growth by plucking out what I don't want. It sounds horrendous I know, but he's really used to it and often falls asleep while I'm doing it :lol: He ends up with a smooth head which shows up the good shape of his skull.

Show people do a much more extensive handstrip than just the head of course but it's not necessary for us I'm glad to say as it really makes your arms ache! Morgan goes to a breeder/shower every 8 weeks and she does a bit more stripping as and when she thinks it's needed. I believe handstriping a terrier's coat is rather different though.

dandysmom
25-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the explanation, MrsH. It sounds rather painful, like plucking your eyebrows, but apparently Morgan doesn't mind..

borderdawn
29-08-2010, 12:49 PM
No season to speak of as yet, am also undecided as to whether I should spay her before she has a proper season or not...
She did swell up like a pumpkin but no bleeding and no signs of phantom, so may have been a colourless season...

Id certainly wait Elaine.:)

Elaine
29-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Id certainly wait Elaine.:)

Do you think it would be detremental to her health if she were to be spayed before she had a proper season? Is it just a question of allowing her to mature properly first?

Kazz
29-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Hello Elaine not a point about coat but spaying in general. I am under the impression that if you spay a bitch before her first season the best age is 4-5 months, any older than 5 months and there is a risk that the first season may be
about to start thus increasing the surgical risk.
I have always believed the best time is 3ish months after first season.
Although Sal was spayed at 5. But I did have a plan on having s litter from her but that never happened when I became ill, and I just never got round to having her spayed but then when she was 5 I did, as I did not want any risks as she got older than that. She was fine, and the old wives tale they put on weight is incorrect I just reduced her food slightly and kept the same excercise.
Just remember after first season about 12 months she will be filling out naturaly anyhow. Common sense I think, which you have by the bucket load.

I personaly would not spay before first season, just not keen on the idea myself but then Staffs are not mature until 18 months 2.

Elaine
29-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanx for that Kazz.

borderdawn
30-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Do you think it would be detremental to her health if she were to be spayed before she had a proper season? Is it just a question of allowing her to mature properly first?

She isnt physically mature Elaine, and the risk of urinary incontinence is much greater in prepubescent spayed bitches. Id wait, absolutely.:)

Elaine
30-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanx Dawn.