PDA

View Full Version : To many cats

donny79
11-08-2010, 02:36 PM
To many cats!!! This is starting to become a huge problem. All the shelters and cat adopt organizations don't have the room or the manpower to take care of them all. Nor do they have enough people willing to give them a permanent home. This is why all cat owners and future cat owners need to start spaying and neutering our beloved cats. Read the article at petlit and see how important this really is. Send the link to other cat owners you may know. we got to do something in order to stop so many cats from suffering.

Have a great day!;)

Unfortunately there aren’t enough cat lovers out there as there are cats. Looking at online giveaway sites, it’s always packed with cute kittens who are in desperate need of a home. I’m sorry to say that not all of these kittens are being given to people with either the skills or ability to take care of them. I’ve even heard of people getting them just to do some experiments on them. How sick is that!

Depending on the age of the cat, the average litter is from 2 to 5 kittens. So if your cat gets 4-5 kittens you will most likely be forced to give some of them to people you’ve never even met before. How can you be sure they will be able to take care of them as they should? The answer is, you can’t. Although they may both look and act alright, don’t necessarily mean that they are. It’s always best to give the cute kittens to somebody you really know and can trust to take good care of them.

Here are some of the reasons why you need to spay or neuter your cats:

Prevent overpopulation: Believe it or not, but in the U.S. alone, there are an estimated 6-8 million homeless animals entering animal shelters every year. Only about half of these will find a new home.

Don’t let your cat suffer: A very young cat (under one year) or an older cat (eight years and older) may have a hard time with birth, with the possibility of deformed or stillborn kittens, or the death of the cat.

Your female cat will live a long and healthier life: It helps prevent uterine infections and breast cancer, which is fatal in about 90 percent of the time. Spaying your cat before she reaches sexual maturity at 5-8 months of age, offers the best protection from these diseases.

Save money on veterinarian bills: Some money must be spent to get your cat spayed or neutered, but in the long run you are very likely to save money by doing this. The cat will get fewer health problems which again leads to less costly veterinarian bills.

Neutering provides great health benefits for your male: Besides preventing unwanted litters, neutering your male companion prevents testicular cancer, if done before six months of age.

Neutered males will be much better behaved: Neutered cats focus their attention on their human families. On the other hand, non neutered cats may mark their territory by spraying strong-smelling urine all over the house. Many aggression problems can be avoided by early neutering.

So if you are a cat owner and it hasn’t already been spayed or neutered , please go to the nearest veterinarian and do so. As you see it’s well worth the effort.

Please help me spread the word. It truly is necessary.

angieh
11-08-2010, 03:02 PM
I think we'd all agree with you Donny79. I see you are from Norway - is the problem bad there too?

I have just adopted a stray cat - I knew it would be useless to try to get him into a rescue centre. Lucky for him I had room for another, and he's now been neutered.

HappyKatz
11-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I wish every person would just do the one time spay/neuter surgery as well. I will make sure to pass the article on...Thank you for sharing that important issue with us.
You have a great day too!

dandysmom
11-08-2010, 04:25 PM
You are, as the saying goes, preaching to the choir! Agree 100%.

Elaine
11-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I couldnt agree more.

donny79
11-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey Angieh. It is a problem in Norway to, but we have a great deal of shelters and cat adopting agency's who really is doing an remacrable job giving them good homes. I think this is a problem where ever in the world today. We have to try and reverse the trend and make people aware of how bad it really is.

Thank you all for your response and please continue to send the link to your friends and family.

Moli
11-08-2010, 08:53 PM
I am going tomorrow to catch goodness knows how many kittens, a local Farmer has 43 cats, they have all interbred,since he contacted the CP,there are at least 6 litters, plus one newly born litter... 25 have been neutered and the rest are also going to be done..Meanwhile I and quite a few others are fostering the kittens.....
Its getting out of control, and there is no excuse now, we provide neutering vouchers if needed!