PDA

View Full Version : Not a good morning.

farthing
10-08-2010, 01:50 PM
We had a thunder storm lat night so I didn't sleep well worrying about the animals. Thankfully the large animals who were outside were fine, but one of my new hens is seriously ill, her breathing is awful- I took her to the vet and she has had a shot of steriod and an antibiotic. She was a bit wheezy last night so I gave her a shot of another type of antibiotic, but neither me nor the vet think she will make it.
I then went to check on the rabbits and Runt has a head tilt- most probably due to an inner ear infection or E.cunniculi ( a parasite very similar to toxo.) . The vet has given him baytril, a steroid and he is on panacur- a treatment for E.cunnicli.
In between I had to run Candy to the vet for her x-rays.
I am now afraid to go out and look at the animals in case any more collapse.
I have checked them- they are fine, but I'm getting paranoid.

angieh
10-08-2010, 02:47 PM
So sorry to hear this farthing. Do you have any support - someone you can call, just to have a chat or a cuppa? Sounds as if you need a distraction.

I am sorry about the hen - that doesn't sound good. The thunder storm has unsettled you all.

dandysmom
10-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Oh you have such a run of bad news lately! :( Hope things will start improving ......

Shelley123
10-08-2010, 04:46 PM
No you are not paranoid, you just have a lot of animals to look after.
Sorry to hear about the Hen and the Rabbit, hope they will be ok.

Tink
10-08-2010, 06:40 PM
i'm sorry these things all seem to happen at once but i know you are more than capable of staying on top of it and you are doing your best. after you have everyone sorted and done all you can for the day then maybe you need some down time for you to relax, sounds like a lot of work and worry will take it out of you too ((hugs))

farthing
10-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Sadly the hen deteriorated over the afternoon, as I was preparing to take her in to be PTS she died. I now feel really guilty for trying!:(

angieh
10-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Farthing - no need to feel guilty, she passed as she was meant to do really. You couldn't have prevented it, neither did your efforts to help her survive go to waste. Please don't feel bad.

dandysmom
10-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Farthing, you're tired and stressed, no wonder, but please don't beat yourself up about the little hen. It was her time. (((hugs)))

Kim
10-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Farthing, you tried, you would have felt guilty if you hadn't. Bless you. Sorry you are having just a rough time atm. ((hugs)) x