PDA

View Full Version : This is getting very complicated

Phoenix
07-08-2010, 01:38 PM
To cut a long and complicated story short, it's getting very complicated and confusing re Dylan now.

Family member who's looking after Dylan until we get back off holiday is convinced Dylan won't be able to cope with leaving his territory for somewhere new (ie here), she's convinced Dylan will try crossing the Humber Bridge to return home and end up getting run over (spoke to her on the phone last night) and she reckons the neighbours (including Poppet's owner) think that Dylan won't settle as well, despite the fact she hasn't seen Poppet's owner since Poppet last went to the vet.

She's also convinced Dylan won't settle with younger brother, follows her round everywhere (he does that with anyone who'll stroke him), will pine himself to death missing her, will miss his territory to the point where he tries running away (despite the fact there's large fields round the back of where we live that he will love hunting in), it's getting too complicated now. Mum thinks relative's frightened of losing Dylan.

Can anyone make sense of it all? I can't :?

(Sorry for the long waffly post had to get it off my chest)

Edit: reading it back makes it even more confusing :?

Elaine
07-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Dylan is your cat and as such you are his best advocate, if you feel he will settle in the new surroundings, then dont listen to your relative. However if you have any missgivings that he may be unhappy in the new place, maybe wiser to consider leaving him where he is.

Phoenix
07-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Dylan is your cat and as such you are his best advocate, if you feel he will settle in the new surroundings, then dont listen to your relative. However if you have any missgivings that he may be unhappy in the new place, maybe wiser to consider leaving him where he is.

I feel he'll be happy here, Dylan will be friends with anyone who'll give him a stroke and a piece of chicken. Younger brother wants to be friends with Dylan and knows he mustn't bounce around when Dylan's here.

Dylan adores company and he'll get more company round here than he does at the moment where he is. Here there's loads of places he can go on his adventures, other female cats who he can be friends with (if they want to be friends - there's more female cats round here than there are at relative's house)

I think Dylan is convinced he's unneutered, that's why he's obsessed with female cats (he is neutered by the way)

Elaine
07-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Problem solved then, he goes with you.

dandysmom
07-08-2010, 04:37 PM
I agree with Elaine. From what you say, he'll probably settle in happily with you.

Mags
07-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Many cats move home with their owners so I see no reason why Dylan shouldn't settle there once he is back with you.

Please make sure you keep him indoors for a few weeks to get used to his new surroundings before you let him outside. He is less likely to try try wandering home to his old house then...

Phoenix
07-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Many cats move home with their owners so I see no reason why Dylan shouldn't settle there once he is back with you.

Please make sure you keep him indoors for a few weeks to get used to his new surroundings before you let him outside. He is less likely to try try wandering home to his old house then...

Mags, we'll be keeping him in for about 4 weeks then taking him out supervised.

He still recognises my voice I know because I spoke over the phone to him and apparently he went nuts rubbing round the telephone :lol:

HappyKatz
10-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Dylan should be fine :cat27 Hes a smart boy.
The home where you are living now seems like a lovely place to bring Dylan to live :) Might take some getting used to for him, but as soon as he sees the fields & female cats, he'll be like "I'm home!!" And then he'll be off on an exciting kitty adventure!

cats' staff
10-08-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm sure Dylan will settle with you in his new home. I have moved cats and it takes a while for them to settle but they all have. I rather suspect your relative has fallen for Dylan's charms (and who can blame her- he is a very hansome chap). If she wants a cat of her own then resuce centres are crammed full at the moment. Dylan is your cat and will enjoy being with you again soon.

Phoenix
10-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks all :D

I've got to speak to my brother about exactly when Dylan's coming here :D