PDA

View Full Version : Cat flaps?

Smokey
02-08-2010, 05:50 PM
I am fed up playing doorman to our cat, ideally I would like to leave our front door open so he can come and go as he pleases BUT when the door is open the whole neighbourhood thinks it is open house! I have found neighbours kids in my lounge, had strangers staring through my house! we were thinking of putting in a catflap but it would have to go in the front door as the backdoor is glass but we are a little concerned about the safety of our house when we are out, if installing one will weaken our front door? We would like peoples opinion and advice before we install one, what are your views on them?

MrsH
02-08-2010, 07:57 PM
We have a cat flap in the back door, I've never felt it's compromised the security or strength of the door. I believe that you can actually get flaps that are designed to fit glass doors but I know next to nothing about them.

One point I would make though - is Smokey neutered? Cats are less likely to wander once they've been done, it makes their life a lot safer from road accidents, fights with wandering toms etc. We kept our cats totally indoors until they were done at 6 months old.

angieh
02-08-2010, 08:07 PM
A while ago I invested in a Petporte cat flap. Expensive but IMO worth it. I am sure that they do make a model for glass doors.

fancyabrew
03-08-2010, 10:38 AM
you can also get them to go through a wall. Petporte flaps are really good as long as your cat is chipped

Smokey
03-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Smokey is too young to be neutered (only 21 weeks old)but he will be done in September when he is 6 months old and yes he is chipped. Will have a look at the Petporte.

Elaine
03-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Smokey is too young to be neutered (only 21 weeks old)but he will be done in September when he is 6 months old and yes he is chipped. Will have a look at the Petporte.

Does he only have garden access, is your garden cat proof? I ask because although he may be too young to be neutered, some vets do neuter early, he IS old enough to mate.
Unneutered males are much more likely to roam, fight for territory and therefore many become infected with FIV etc.

Smokey
03-08-2010, 02:28 PM
None of the vets in my area will neuter him till he is 6 months old, he does go out and about outside of my garden but there are very few cats in the area and the ones he hangs out with are already neutered. He isnt a wanderer, he stays very close to home and now that he knows he can come and go as he pleases, the majority of the time he is actually still on my property.