PDA

View Full Version : Introducing New Kitten

jan
02-08-2010, 01:35 AM
You probably know I fetched my new feline friend Alfie, about five today ( technically yesterday now,) my 3 full grown cats have reacted thus:

Felix, (7) mesmerised, curious, then still finding the intruder there after a walk in the garden and not wanting to come in, he hissed and hissed again and has sulked upstairs most of the night. He did nt lose his appetite though.

Tess, (16) sniffed his rear end and then when he looked round hissed and hissed at which poor little Alfie arched his back and hissed back - bless, he stood his ground though his rear legs then started to shake alarmingly as Tess walked away.Quaking in his little white boots he was.

Maisie, (4) scared of her own shadow, stood peeking out from behind the washing machine at Alfie until all this alarming hissing had her running for the hills and she has been wide eyed behind my television in the bedroom ever since.

Tess has sulked and has not eaten and Maisie is too terrified to come down for her food even though she must be starving by now.

Ah it s all good fun......

Jan x;)

Tink
02-08-2010, 01:53 AM
lol, ah the joys of cat introductions.
i suppose you could have sessions where he is seperated and they can go about their normal lives and then sessions where he is with them and just increase them till they are not phased anymore. i'd probably seperate him in a closed room when things got a bit too stressed among them and then spend some quality one on one time bonding with him. then give the others some special quality time too without him, then blend him in more and more till they don't fret anymore. they'll likely get over it, sometimes they just want to curse and spit and make you feel terrible until they realize that doesn't mean the kitten is going anywhere and they'll all accept it in their own way whether that be avoiding him and tolerance or interaction, they will all form some kind of truce with him i am sure. I've noticed with a lot of animals it's all talk, no action. No biting, claws away but boy do they make it sound like the world has ended but when it comes down to it, it's usually all fluff :wink:

dandysmom
02-08-2010, 02:00 AM
Tink's said it so well .. nothing to add. It will all get sorted. Poor Maisie, scared of that wee little kitten!

Manyana13
02-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Yes, Tink has pretty much said it!

When we got Lola a year ago, Harry lived on top of the fridge for 3 days! Vinnie wasn't bothered by the new kitten, and when he hit her (normally when she was hanging off him for a bit too long) it was so gentle really and he didn't use his claws.

Bless... Poor Maisie, hope they all get along - or at least tolerate Alfie soon. Good luck!