PDA

View Full Version : Having a New Feline Member Of The Family

jan
18-07-2010, 11:47 PM
I have been putting feelers out for a kitten in recent weeks and my friend rang me to pass on a phone number for kittens ready in August. She had seen it in the post office in her village. Anyway second time I got through, today and had a word with the lady, she has five kittens, born on 10th June I think she said, she s in a village about ten minuites from mine so I popped round. There were two tabby s one boy one girl and three ginger and white boys, all gorgeous, all having a feed from Mum when I got there, she s only a year old and she soon got impatient. Anyway, the two boys were left, both ginger and white, only difference being one had a brown nose and one a white one. So I chose the white nosed one, he was just so pretty and seemed slightly dopier of the two if anything ! Fetch him August 1st. I took a photo or three and will try and upload them this week if i can remember how too off photo bucket ! But I now need a name, told the woman Sammy but now not sure, so any ideas please as I cannot think properly! My other s are Tess, Felix and Maisie and I want it to fit with theirs if that makes sense! Thanks all, Jan x

Tink
19-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Congrats! I will have to think on a name suggestion :wink:

dandysmom
19-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Oh congratulations on the coming new kitten. He sounds like a cutie, but then they all are, aren't they? I'm not very good at names, but sometimes they almost name themselves. Taz is good if he's going to be a wee devil full of action. Look forward to the pics :D

angieh
19-07-2010, 12:38 PM
If he's anything like my ginger and white boy, he'll be a complete cuddle bug and have a very loving nature. Hope so anyway. I look forward to the pictures!

Naming a cat is always a challenge - the best name will come to you when you have got used to him for a bit!

Mags
19-07-2010, 02:09 PM
My first ginger kitten was called Sammy which changed to a more adult Sam when he grew up ..... :D

dandysmom
19-07-2010, 04:07 PM
My ginger boy was called Scamper, which suited him as a kitten, but unfortunately not as the large dignified adult he became!

calismum
19-07-2010, 05:53 PM
My Ginger boy was Shanti he was also a real softy.

My aunt had a ginger boy - Robbie - after Robinsons marmalade!

I'm sure a name will come to you and we love to chip in with ideas.

yola
20-07-2010, 09:50 AM
I've always loved Dinahsmum name for her red-headed boy; Chester.

angieh
20-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Jan - in case you don't know, my ginger and white boy (my avatar) is called Pip. Short for Cox's Orange Pippin!

farthing
20-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Can't wait for photos.
I met an orange cat yesterday called Jaffa, I quite liked that.

jan
29-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks all ! Some good suggestions there and no, I did nt know pip was short for cox s orange pippin lol but thats just brilliant! I think we have settled on .... Rodney! Not sure why but most people laugh and love it (I suppose its the del boy connotation!!) Could change again I suppose when I fetch him and now cant wait, am counting down the days. Might even be cheeky and ring and ask if I can fetch him one day early on Saturday ! Got his kitten food, there are so many cat toys he will be spoiled for choice and now I just have to see my other cats reactions, it s mainly Felix I am a bit worried about being the dominant male but he was fine with Maisie - expect she will hide in terror to begin with! And I guess Tess will be disinterested as she s seen it all before (yawn...) Looking forward to it ..... Jan x;)

angieh
29-07-2010, 07:22 PM
How exciting Jan - I look forward to photos!

dandysmom
29-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I do hope you can get Rodney Saturday! Can't wait for pics.

Tink
29-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Hehe I hope you can get him on Saturday too. Can't wait! :D

jan
31-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Just an update - I ended up being out for quite a chunk of this afternoon and not wanting to fetch my boy and have to leave him alone even for a few hours straight away I decided it s best to leave it til tomorrow - and I cant wait ! Will ring the lady very early afternoon (if not before - does anyone think 7 am a bit inconsiderate? JOKE! ) and dash round to fetch him..... so excited!! Definately photo s very shortly!! .... Night All, Jan x ;)

dandysmom
31-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Night, Jan, and you know we are anxiously awaiting pics!

Tink
01-08-2010, 01:51 AM
LOL 7am sounds just fine to me :lol: j/k :wink:
I am so excited for you. Not only do I want pics but to hear all about him :wink:

Shelley123
01-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Just picked up this thread Jan, todays the day, yes.:)

niki71uk
01-08-2010, 11:29 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm another excitement bout a new kitten,when it seems really ud rather not be wanting people to take kittens,rather an older cat needing a home instead,ohwell,i for 1 prefer kittens,hopefully when u get them they wont have issues,as apposed to rescue cats,that for the most part do!!

Elaine
01-08-2010, 11:43 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm another excitement bout a new kitten,when it seems really ud rather not be wanting people to take kittens,rather an older cat needing a home instead,ohwell,i for 1 prefer kittens,hopefully when u get them they wont have issues,as apposed to rescue cats,that for the most part do!!

Not a case of not wanting people to take on kittens, more a case of wanting people to stop breeding from their moggies and to stop encouraging the foul practice.
Sorry Jan, dont want to rain on your parrade and I do hope all goes well.

jan
01-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Hi all,

I have taken on a two year old cat in the past and my other cats would not take to her to the extent that she ran away and ended up living with another neighbour for many years and ended up more feral than anything, so its not really a case of wanting the newness cutie factor of a kitten its the fact that in my 33 year experience of cat owning a kitten is usually accepted by the remaining bunch fairly quickly. Another fully grown cat is not and its not an experience I would like to repeat as I worried for months before the cat turned up safely. I actually prefer a cat once its got out of its kitten stage and settles down a bit as they can be wearing!

I have never let my cats have kittens or produce kittens, take them to be done as soon as the time is right. There are way too many homeless cats and I would love to have a big mansion and a bigger purse to take them all on but the sad thing s I can only do my bit - and having lost Max I feel I can afford and take care of another puss.

Having said that - I have been ringing and ringing since half one and getting no reply to fetch my Puss - its probably just me getting anxious as I did nt stipulate a time to collect him and said I would ring first. Silly are nt I but I cant settle!! Just dying to fetch him. Jan x:shock:

dandysmom
01-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Oh dear! Hope you get an answer soon!

Tink
01-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Jan, I completely know what you mean, taken on older cats myself. I love them to bits but it does take quite awhile for the poor dears to settle. Especially in my house where there are lots of other species and such it can be overwhelming. I'm glad I took in Tigger and Cuddles (RIP) and Hestia has really come around but I think in the future my home might be too stressful for an older cat to get used to and it's not fair unless they had completely separate quarters or our family decreased in size significantly. We all know you are responsible here.
Anyhow, enough of that, I can't wait to hear what happens with the new addition! One lucky kitty :D