PDA

View Full Version : Finding a good vet

jan
18-07-2010, 11:33 PM
I wish I could find a vets I felt totally happy with. I have used several over the many years I have had my beloved cats, went off the original one when they failed to diagnose terminal problems with a couple of my poor pets and then was quite happy for a long while until the next vets suddenly seemed more interested in the money and doing loads of un necessary tests in order to bump their prices up to hundreds of pounds - and I was nt the only one commenting on them either. I tried a bit of a one man band then who was recommended but it was too much of a one man band and was nt much help when I needed advice last year. So when poor Max needed the vets suddenly this April and it was out of hours I rang a vets recommended by a good friend. The recorded message gave me a number to ring, which I duly did, and it turned out to be the local PDSA covering for the vets in question and I was told it was £95 intitial consultation fee plus any treatment. Seemed more interested in the money to be honest. They told me to rush down as Max sounded to be in renal failure (this was the receptionist) yet when we got there we waited three quarters of an hour before being seen. I was nt happy especially as the vet was talking to someone else about their pets options and seemed in no rush to see Max (the dog in question walked out wagging his tail eventually and off home ) and I feel that they could have assessed Max when we entered.

When we got in, yes they were very good and very thorough, I did hear the receptionist telling the vet we did nt have insurance, but as Max had kidney problems and a large tumour in his tummy the only option was to be p t s. They were lovely then, the total cost was £137 or thereabouts, I still fail to see how they warrant that but there you go. They have you over a barrel and Max could nt suffer. I still have nt been to the vets I originally rang up so how good they are I have yet to know. Its tough finding a good vet. Thanks for hearing my rant. I felt quite let down at the time by the mechanics of it all. Jan x

angieh
18-07-2010, 11:39 PM
I think this is something we all have found at one time or another jan and understand the problems.

I have also found that a practice that I am generally happy with sometimes can have "off days"!

There is one particular vet - a young good looking chap who has always been excellent with my cats and was particularly kind with Merlin - once he had a female trainee with him and he was a different character all together!

Hope you manage to find someone you like! Good luck.

Elaine
19-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Hmmm, it's a tough one adnd one many of us can probably relate to.
Maybe ring round a few, prepare some relevant questions and explain that you are looking for a vet that will always be willing to work with you, in the best interests of your pets. Dont get personal about other practices but generally explain you have had a few shoddy experiences.
Always remember that you are your animals best advocate.

dandysmom
19-07-2010, 04:14 PM
I've been fortunate, only used two vets. No problems at all with the first; liked them. But when Dandy became ill over a weekend I used the emergency clinic, was very impressed at the service, and it was a bit more conveniently located. so have stayed with them.

Good luck finding one that will suit.

yola
20-07-2010, 09:56 AM
I've been with quite a large practice just around the corner from me. They're not part of a group but a stand-alone vets. They have about 6 permanent practitioners and a similar number of nurses; all vets being generalists but with their own particular specialities (holistic/alternative medicine, surgical etc).

I don't see eye-to-eye with some of the vets there, but there is always the choice to see a different individual.

As for the money, unfortunately it is a business like any other and has overheads to meet and a profit to make in order to continue trading. But I agree, for a routine examination and pts, £137 is a bit steep but as you say, it's not as if you had a choice :(

I hope you find a practice that works for you Jan, and one with whom you can build a good relationship.

Netty
20-07-2010, 10:19 AM
I see thers a program on BBC1 on thursday called It shouldnt happen at a vets! A secret camera filming inside a vet practice, showing cruelty and overpricing! Dont know if I want to watch!

yola
20-07-2010, 10:30 AM
I see thers a program on BBC1 on thursday called It shouldnt happen at a vets! A secret camera filming inside a vet practice, showing cruelty and overpricing! Dont know if I want to watch!

Hmmm - I saw the trailer for this and I'm not sure if I want to see it either. However it's extremely valid that such behaviour is exposed and the vet practices concerned taken to task over it.

PoshPuss
20-07-2010, 04:29 PM
I agree Yola, the trailer made me upset and angry but these bad examples should be exposed because after all we don't 'know' what goes on behind the desks and our animals can't tell us.
Fortunately, my vet practice is quite happy to explain about anything we question, gives full disclosure of costs before procedures and even has open days so clients and children can see the facilities and the work of the practice; eg. where the pets are kept and what equipment they use.

Only thing I can complain about is the cost but I make sure I'm insured and that I can have a breakdown of the care costs. Jan, good luck searching, hope you get a good one :)

farthing
20-07-2010, 08:06 PM
I think that we have to remember that- yes, they are a business and overheads can be quite costly, especially depending on where you live.
We are very lucky in that our vets are reasonable and very good- still the fact is that animals can't talk and it can take a while to reach a diagnosis, and they can also be influence by what the owner tells them.

I worry about how biased this programme will be, I agree that bad vets should be taken to task, but I hope they don't tar all vets with the same brush. I don't work in the ops theatre ( if I had any doubts I would be standing in the op room while they were treated), but do help in the consulting room at our branch and the animals are treated with respect, and comforted at their end if the owner leaves.
These programmes go out to show the worst, after we were in the news for having 80 pets a couple of years ago we got a call from a TV company who wanted to make a documentary about people with lots of animals. After a discussion ( even though we had no intention of doing it) they said we were too normal to have on!:shock:

yola
20-07-2010, 08:19 PM
ON a similar note, did you see the programme last night about the woman with 83 cats :shock: :shock: She was such a kind soul, not some compulsive collector, but rather someone with an afinity for Bengals - which can be quite difficult animals.

Not so the woman who wanted to continue breeding her Sphynxes. I didn't see all of it, but I felt she was being really selfish and flippant about her reasons for breeding (wanting it as attention for herself rather than furthering the breed or learning about them in more depth).

farthing
21-07-2010, 07:41 AM
I think I saw that progamme before Yola, I felt so sorry for the persian, the poor thing must have been exhausted with the owner fussing him for hours. The woman with the sphynx cats was only interested it the attention she could get herself- very sad really.

pcspik
24-07-2010, 05:12 PM
What I would do is phone a few vets around, explain the situation and ask if they would mind you coming around to have a look at their facilities etc. Like another member said, explain that you have had a few bad experiences but dont mention anyone in particular. General cleanliness, and what they can offer is important. Bigger does not necessarily mean better.

I would also speak to your local Cats Protection & ask what vets use - each branch spends thousands of pounds a year on vets fees so obviously they have to be happy with the practice in general. I know our branch changed a couple of times because the original practice they were with they were unhappy with. The one that they use may be smaller, but to me they give better service.

If possible (and with permission) sit in a consultation, and ask (away from the vet) if the owner would not mind giving their opinion on how they think they are treated and facilities. I say away from the vet, because the vet may treat the owner better than normal, or they may feel pressurised to give an pleasing opinion if the vet is breathing down their necks. If the vet is out of earshot, then at least you get a honest opinion.

Other than that, ask other cat owners that you know, or even other pet owners (they dont necessary have to have cats, a dog's owner's opinion would equally be valid), of opinions about local vets.

jan
29-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks for all the good advice - I have asked a few pet owners and one name has come up a few times - the only thing I am worried about is the fact they are a bit further away to reach when my cats hate travelling in the car. I heard a radio phone in about the programme exposing the vets behaviour and prices and some of the pet owners ringing in had good reason to be aggrieved, one woman said her poor dog had five un necessary operations and had to be put to sleep in the end after putting it through so much, she had insurance and said the vet was after the money he could make. (Not the vet in the porgramme.) Plenty of similar stories and surely its about time there was a ruling body for vets to answer to (I don t think there is one?)

Having a vet you can trust is as important as having a doctor or a surgeon you can trust. And one ignorant man text in and said get a grip, their only animals. Glad I was cleaning in an empty house at that point!! Jan x

angieh
29-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Bet the air was blue in your house Jan!

I agree with Mahatma Gandi's words:

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”

We don't come anywhere near as a nation IMO.

dandysmom
29-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Wlel put, Angie, very apt!