PDA

View Full Version : Advice Dylan related

Phoenix
14-07-2010, 08:05 PM
He's coming here at the end of next month, we've got everything he'll need sorted out (apart from his bedtime cat run)

He doesn't travel at all well (sounds like he's being murdered in the car) so I was wondering if there's anything I can get my brother to give him the day he comes here? and what's the best way of getting him settled in when he arrives?

We'll be keeping him in an upstairs bedroom (he's a bit nervous of younger brother so we need to take the reintroduction slower than we did in yorkshire)

Any advice that I can start on before Dylan's through the front door?

Elaine
14-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Rescue remedy, a few drops rubbed into the ear tips and tell your brother to turn the radio up while driving;) .
How long is the journey?
As for settling him in, feliway diffuser in his room as well as an old t-shirt or something of yours.
I'm sure he will be just fine.

Phoenix
14-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Rescue remedy, a few drops rubbed into the ear tips and tell your brother to turn the radio up while driving;) .
How long is the journey?
As for settling him in, feliway diffuser in his room as well as an old t-shirt or something of yours.
I'm sure he will be just fine.

It's a two hour journey, don't know whether feliway would work because when we used it to stop him spraying he took to spraying on the feliway diffuser :roll:

He leaves smelly presents in his carrier and gets quite distressed in the car even for short journeys (the vets here are within easy walking distance, made sure of that before coming)

I don't think it's nerves with him, because in the carrier if I'm walking to the vets with him he'll curl up and got to sleep

Elaine
14-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Might be an idea to ask the vet about a sedative or something maybe.....
As for his arrival in new home, make it as familiar as possible for him, all his things, some things of yours, some boxes to hide and play in etc.....

Phoenix
14-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Might be an idea to ask the vet about a sedative or something maybe.....
As for his arrival in new home, make it as familiar as possible for him, all his things, some things of yours, some boxes to hide and play in etc.....

Thanks Elaine, his sock will be here (don't ask!) and his toys (all smelling of his previous home)

How do I update his microchip details, insurance etc? Do I just phone them up or what? :oops:

Elaine
14-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Yes just call them and give them new details.

dandysmom
14-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Hope all goes well with the move for Dylan, I think a sedative for the journey might be a good idea if the vet approves.

yola
15-07-2010, 07:51 AM
When I picked Myshka up from Kazz it was about a 2 hour journey and he yowled the whole way! He was confused and cross at being locked in the carrier but not distressed so although he was loud I wasn't too concerned.

I think the sedative from the vet is a good idea . . . just make sure Dylan's tested to make sure there is no adverse reaction if he's not had it before.

pinklizzy
15-07-2010, 10:58 AM
In terms of sedation, it's unlikely the vet will be able to give you anything for a journey, some sedatives will make them vomit (not good on a journey) and anything that knocks them out will mean they need to be very closely monitored.
I'd maybe ask for some zylkene? We used it when we moved house with Imogen-it's a natural product which mimics the 'blissed out' feeling that puppies and kittens get when feeding from mum. It comes in capsules that you sprinkle on food and can be given a few days before the journey, on the day and then afterwards to help him settle in.

Kazz
15-07-2010, 11:44 AM
When I picked Myshka up from Kazz it was about a 2 hour journey and he yowled the whole way! He was confused and cross at being locked in the carrier but not distressed so although he was loud I wasn't too concerned.

I think the sedative from the vet is a good idea . . . just make sure Dylan's tested to make sure there is no adverse reaction if he's not had it before.

Yes I remember still contemplating who to complain to you or Alex..:roll:...very loud for a small cat.

I think you are stuck with the noise....I think its caused by the motion of the vehicle.

angieh
15-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes, I have to agree that the noise won't really be the problem, but any stress accidents in the carrier would be. Kizzy isn't the best traveller - although my last trip to the vet with her was incident free, previously she has always soiled the carrier, poor love. The smell ................ pheeewww! I'd be more worried about that on a 2 hours journey.

Phoenix
15-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Would one of these two products be OK do you think?

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=53&pf_id=50443

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/shop_store/Travel_Rite_Tablets_pk30_p50860.html

angieh
15-07-2010, 07:51 PM
In terms of sedation, it's unlikely the vet will be able to give you anything for a journey, some sedatives will make them vomit (not good on a journey) and anything that knocks them out will mean they need to be very closely monitored.
I'd maybe ask for some zylkene? We used it when we moved house with Imogen-it's a natural product which mimics the 'blissed out' feeling that puppies and kittens get when feeding from mum. It comes in capsules that you sprinkle on food and can be given a few days before the journey, on the day and then afterwards to help him settle in.

If I were you RCR, I'd go with zylkene as advised by pinklizzy above - she knows what she's talking about!

Phoenix
15-07-2010, 08:15 PM
This one http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_group.asp?dept_id=1275&pg_id=1053 or a holiday pack http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=804&pf_id=55168 angie?

dandysmom
15-07-2010, 08:17 PM
I agree with Angie; I'd go with the zylkene. Dylan gets very stressed at car rides and that does sound as if it would help a lot.

Phoenix
15-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Can't even spell it :oops: searched for it but had to copy it to search for it :oops:

silly me :oops:

(misread it as zykelene :roll:)

dandysmom
15-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Thank God for copy-and-paste! :mrgreen:

pinklizzy
16-07-2010, 08:37 AM
RCR-I'd probably go for the holiday pack, it should give you enough to tide him over through the travelling/initial settling in period. If you find he needs more, you could always extend the course, as it is a supplement rather than a medication it can be given long term.

Kazz
16-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Just like to suggest when your brother brings him to you he does so at a none busy time on the roads, the last thing either of them will need is sitting in traffic queues

Phoenix
16-07-2010, 03:14 PM
RCR-I'd probably go for the holiday pack, it should give you enough to tide him over through the travelling/initial settling in period. If you find he needs more, you could always extend the course, as it is a supplement rather than a medication it can be given long term.

Thanks for that advice PL :D

Just like to suggest when your brother brings him to you he does so at a none busy time on the roads, the last thing either of them will need is sitting in traffic queues

We've not arranged times yet Kazz :D

Phoenix
02-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Just wanted to say we've got his run sorted now :D

dandysmom
02-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Oh good! Any chance of pics?

angieh
02-08-2010, 08:15 PM
That's great RCR - I bet you've missed each other.

Phoenix
03-08-2010, 04:18 PM
That's great RCR - I bet you've missed each other.

He's not here yet angie ;) he's coming at the end of the month ;)

DM I've not yet put it up - I'll get pictures once Dylan's here then I can photograph his response to it ;)