PDA

View Full Version : Healing vibes needed please

Elaine
11-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Currently looking after a 13 yr old springer spaniel and a 6 yr old schnauzer. The spaniel had a stroke this morning, owners not due home till wednesday. I managed to contact their son who met me at the vets at 7 am today, he has managed to contact his parents.
She has had a steriod injection, a painkiller and something for nausea. She has since had a little sleep, a little food and water. Fingers crossed for her please.

EmmaG
11-07-2010, 01:03 PM
aww poor thing Elaine. Must be terrible for the owners for something like that to happen when they are away.

Mags
11-07-2010, 01:04 PM
What a shock for you Elanie ........ fingers crossed it isn't too serious and she rallies round...

Elaine
11-07-2010, 01:34 PM
I know Shirley will be beside herself with worry, I feel a bit like the angel of doom at the moment but did what i could and got her straight to the vets asap.

calismum
11-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Hope she improves. Plenty vibes being sent your way.

angieh
11-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Healing vibes a-plenty for the little spaniel and I expect you could do with some too Elaine for the shock. Not a nice thing to happen on your watch. ((((HUGS))))

alexgirl73
11-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Lots of healing vibes coming from here too xxx

dandysmom
11-07-2010, 04:25 PM
So sad, dreadful news for the owners and a shock for you. Hope she rallies; sending vibes and a (((hug))) for you. xxx

PoshPuss
11-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Oh dear :( poor doggie and poor you Elaine. You acted quickly though and may have helped the spaniel by your prompt actions. My 14 year old border collie,Jess had a stroke but recovered well and live another 6 months so good vibes sent for this babe too. xxx

Kazz
11-07-2010, 05:31 PM
You did all you could got the dog to the vets as quickly as possible your were there and thats the key thing.

Hope you feel okay Elaine.....

Kim
11-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Poor dog and owners, but I really feel for you Elaine, something like that happening when you are looking after them. I am sure your quick actions saved him. Lots of healing vibes being sent and a (((hug))) for you. x

yola
11-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Probably pet sitter's worst nightmare :( I hope the doggy recovers and that the owners are able to complete their holiday safe in the knowledge that you're in control of things at home.

Elaine
11-07-2010, 07:22 PM
No real change in her condition since I posted, dont know how long you should wait to see any change...
The vets had her out for a pee, she walked by herself, favouring to the left a little and was a bit ridgid in her movements but then she can sometimes look quite ridgid when walking, so not sure if they think that's a bad thing or not as they dont know her being that they are the oncall vets.
Will just have to wait and hope she improves.
The owners, understandably, are quite distraught, not sure if they will try to make arrangements to get home earlier or not.

Elaine
11-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Just reading u on canine strokes and came across something called canine vestibular syndrome and am wondering if this might be the case with Missy. It is a condition which has all the symptoms of a stroke but is actually caused by the inflamation of the nerves in the inner ear. Missy has always been bothered with her ears.

dandysmom
11-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Is that treatable and/or less serious than a stroke, Elaine?

Elaine
11-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Both are treatable but it's a case of finding the underlying causes and how well she responds I guess, it just made a little more sense that it might be the ear thing as she always has bother with her ears and therefore might seem a little less frightening for the owners if you know what i mean....
I dunno, you know how i get sucked into wanting know all the answers etc, have mentioned it to the son of the owners and suggested he discuss it with the vet when he next calls for an update.

dandysmom
11-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I understand about what you mean wanting to know. It's not as scary or intimidating if you something about it. I'm sure the son was grateful for the suggestion; may not be it, but shows how caring and conscientious you are.

Don't floppy eared dogs tend to have more ear problems than those with pointy ears?

yola
11-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Inner ear problems . . . balance and all that - tell me about it! I have suffered with bouts of vertigo for years; sometimes once or twice every 2 months or so (thankfully not for a while though). It is very debilitating and can mimic some symptoms of stroke (loss of co-ordination, speech, balance etc).

I hope this is the case with Missy -and tablets can reduce the effects . . . I hope it is not a full-on stroke. Have they carried out a brain scan on her nad if not, do they intend to?

Elaine
12-07-2010, 08:08 AM
I dont really know what's all being done as the son is dealing with it all and I suspect that he doesnt fully understand what's going on and what questions to ask etc, which is why I am keeping close contact ad trying to prompt him.
I cannt interfere too much as he has signed the consent forms therefore the vets wont realy discuss it with me. Am waiting for an update.

PoshPuss
12-07-2010, 08:14 AM
I'm sure the son of the family will appreciate your experience and advice Elaine. Are you able to accompany him on vet visits etc? you could have direct input then. Healing vibes for the spaniel being sent from me down here. And consolation hugs for you too, hen. XXX

Elaine
12-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks PP.
Matt has just called, it is vestibular syndrome and her ear is very infected, she is now on antibiotics.
One of my biggest issues now is that she is currently with the "vets now" practice and they want her moved tomorrow either to her own vets or home. I am not comfortable that they want to move her at all tbh and have said this to Matt, I also stressed that I would not be comfortable with her coming home until the owners are back as I cannt be there 24/7 to watch over her.
The other issue is that she is currently refusing food, probably due to the nausea. Matt is going to see her today, I suggested that he take some chicken, ham or such like with him and try feeding her by hand.
I am also a bit angry that the first vet was pretty much all for having her pts when I brought her in yesterday morning and said that if she hadnt improved in 12 hours then it was unlikely that she would recover at all. Having read up on canine strokes and vestibular syndrome, everything says not to expect significant improvements for up to a few weeks. Not likeing this whole "vets now" thing that vets are signing up to.

Shelley123
12-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Sorry to hear about the awful time you have had Elaine and am pleased that the Dog has vestibular syndrome rather than a stroke. I hope she makes a good recovery.
That does sound very worrying what the first vet said, sounds like she had the poor Dog written off.
What is vets now , please Elaine.

angieh
12-07-2010, 03:02 PM
I hope that the owner's son can negotiate something with the emergency vets - perhaps transfer the dog to her own practice until the owners come home.

Glad it wasn't a stroke - the reaction of the first vet is extremely worrying if it is an indication about the general state of veterinary practice.

dandysmom
12-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Pleased that it's not a stroke, but distressed at the actions of the vet! PTS indeed!!! What is "vets now"?

PoshPuss
12-07-2010, 05:22 PM
The 'vets now' arrangment, is that like an on-call, Elaine? if so, that initial vet's intuition and quick offer of PTS is very worrying :(
So glad for you and the spaniel that you had the info about vestibular disease and that you knew about her ear trouble. Lets hope the doggie improves soon and can be tempted to eat a little now. :)

Elaine
12-07-2010, 07:54 PM
This explains the Vets Now thing
http://www.vets-now.com/VetsNewsDetail.aspx?id=1702
But what they dont do, it would seem is find out about the animals health history or diagnose:?
They have still not committed themselves to a proper diagnosis of Missy's condition and are pretty much bloody well guessing, her notes say, stroke, epilepsy and vestibular syndrome:roll:
They want her out by 7 am tomorrow morning and her vet doesnt open shop until 9 am:twisted:
If any one uses a vet practice who has signed up to this "vets now" shambles, I'd personally recomend they change to a practice that doesnt use them.

On a lighter note though, Missy seems to be a bit more settled in herself and has eaten some food.

dandysmom
12-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for that link, Elaine. Sounds good in theory, but I'm certainly not impressed at the treatment your dog received. What are they going to do at 7 am if she's not picked up ... put her out in the street?

I'm fortunate, my vet IS the 24 hour emergency service also.

Elaine
12-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for that link, Elaine. Sounds good in theory, but I'm certainly not impressed at the treatment your dog received. What are they going to do at 7 am if she's not picked up ... put her out in the street?

I dont know, Mathew is calling them again later so will see...

I'm fortunate, my vet IS the 24 hour emergency service also.

Mine too. I feel really quite mad about it all and what the site doesnt tell you either is that they charge £120 before you even walk through the door. Now you probably wouldnt mind paying that IF thay actually did something to diagnose and treat your pet instead of guessing.

calismum
12-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Pleased that Missy is improving - not thanks to the initial vet it would appear.

Sounds like Vets Now should be avoided - glad mine has its own 24hr service.

Hope Missy gets the care she needs at her own vet or at home. How frustrating all this must be for you.

angieh
12-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Mine also has its own 24 hour service, albeit in another town - at least they have access to the animal's computer records within the practice.

I am glad to hear that Missy is eating - that's a very good sign.

Shelley123
12-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Glad Missy is improving Elaine and thank you for opening our eyes to the vets now fiasco. I didn't know such clinics existed. Like Eileen says they sound reasonable in theory but your treatment has certainly put me off.
Fortunately our vets do on call, i just hope it stays that way, there is a clinic close by i notice.

Elaine
13-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Tried to negotiate a later pick up to save taking her home and then back out to the vets but they said we must pick her up by 7.30:roll: . Off to pick up Matt then get Missy. What a bloody carry on.

Kazz
13-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Why couldn't the vets hold onto her till her owners were home. ALthough I do think maybe they will be happier seeing her "at" home rather than "at" the vets. Less of a shock to the system regardless of how well prepared you are the "at home" senario is the lesser of two evils.

yola
13-07-2010, 10:04 AM
What a shame you, Matt and Missy have been so badly treated by Vets Now. My vet uses this organization for their out of hours work but they operate from the actual pratice.

I had cause to take Fifi there over Christmas once when she choked on a dried leaf and they were very professional. They didn't have access to her records as they were operating using their own laptops but as soon as the actual vet opened all information was transferred over and my guys took over.

Yes, they did want paying upfront and it was quite hefty but they did check her out carefully for the fee.

PoshPuss
13-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Sorry to hear you've been messed about by this 'vet-now' business. It certainly seems unfair to expect folk to turn up at 7am to collect ill pets and then wait around to re-house them at their own surgeries, quite unnecessary, I think.

When Posh had her lily incident, a few years ago, she was taken in by the on call vets over the new years weekend and when the holiday was over she was transferred by animal ambulance to our own vets larger surgery/hospital until she was checked out and ready to come home.

At least I'm happy to know that Missy is a little better :)

dandysmom
13-07-2010, 04:10 PM
A very unhappy scenario. :( At least she's getting better and eating.

Elaine
14-07-2010, 05:29 PM
A very sleepless night last night, every time I heard a bump or scratch I was up out of bed to make sure Missy was ok. Gladly, she was although she had wet herself. All the unsteadyness has knocked her confidence and I had to carry her outside several times today so she could relieve herself.
I think she will be better now her owners are home, she is eating well, drinking etc, it's just going to take time.

Mags
14-07-2010, 07:22 PM
How worrying and what a responsibility for you, Elaine ....... I'm pleased to hear Missy is improving.

A pat on the back to you for coping so well under very stressful circumstances :smt023

Elaine
14-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Dont know about "coping", feel exhausted now and could cry at the drop of a hat. Will feel better tomorrow after a good nights sleep and lots of cuddles from the animals.

Elaine
15-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Owners just called to say that Missy is continuing to improve, she is no longer being hand fed and can get up for her food. She has also been staggering around a bit more. The owners want me to call round on saturday.

angieh
15-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Good news that Missy is continuing to improve. I have my fingers crossed for a complete recovery.

calismum
15-07-2010, 06:12 PM
That's good news.

Elaine
17-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Just been to visit Missy, what a difference the love of a good owner can make. She is almost her old self again, she has a slight head tilt and is much more steady on her feet. She even jumped up to greet me.

angieh
17-07-2010, 01:41 PM
What good news Elaine. What's her ongoing treatment going to be? Will she recover completely?

Elaine
17-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Not sure Angie, think once she seems a bit better yet, the owners may be changing vets to try to find out what is best for her. Their current vet doesnt really discuss things and talks quite dismissively about it all. Just keeps saying that she's an old dog.....
If I hear anything more, I will let you know.

dandysmom
17-07-2010, 04:18 PM
"An old dog" !!! I'd definitely look for a new vet. Glad to hear of the improvement. :D

Shelley123
17-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Pleased to hear Missy is getting better Elaine.

Elaine
15-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Just thought I'd let you know that I saw Missy's owners at the weekend and Missy is still doing well. She gets a little wobbly at times but eating well and still pleased to see people.

angieh
15-09-2010, 05:34 PM
That sounds about the best that could be expected, seeing what that doggie went through. She'd not be here without you Elaine.

Shelley123
15-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the update, Elaine. It's great to hear that Missy is doing well.

calismum
15-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Really pleased to hear this news.

PoshPuss
15-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Lovely to know the dear pooch is doing well. She's a fighter and strong doggie :)