PDA

View Full Version : New to Cat Showing- a few questions

Darwin
11-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Hello, I am new to the forum and have just applied for entry to my first GCCF cat show in a few months time. I have two new BSH kittens (13 weeks). :D

Do you have any tips regarding getting my kittens prepared for their first show? I am a bit anxious about it as do not want to look a real fool when I arrive :shock:

I have bought two top-opening wire carriers (plastic coated) to transport them in. Is this what most show goers use to transport their cats in?

I have found an company where I can order my show equipment on line, Is there anything else I may need?

I have read that the cats have to have a elasticated string around the neck with a number card on, is this correct?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

dandysmom
11-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Hi and welcome to Catsey, Darwin. Sorry, I can't help with show questions; we do have knowledgeable breeders/showers here and hope someone will be along soon with answers for you. Good luck with the kittens at their first show! :D

calismum
11-07-2010, 08:34 PM
No idea either - no doubt some of the folks that show will help out with some hints and tips.

Good luck.

borderdawn
11-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Would your breeder not be able to help you? I must admit when I showed mine it was the most boring experience I have ever been part of, never again. Of course thats only me, many love it. Best of luck, what colour are your kittens?

Darwin
13-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Thank you for the welcomes. The breeders of my cats are very very helpful but additional views/ experiences are always useful. I am sorry you did not enjoy showng borderdawn. I have no idea if I will, or if the cats will either! As long as the other competitors are friendly and welcoming I shall be fine. If they are unpleasant, over-competitive or unhelpful to beginers then I shall forget the whole idea :D But if the breeders of my cats are anything to go by, it should be a fun day out with other mad cat people!!!! ;)

dandysmom
13-07-2010, 04:15 PM
I'v never shown myself but often accompanied my breeder friends to shows, In my experience, they were great fun, most people were friendly and very helpful. And the freebies are nice! :D

angieh
13-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi Darwin - I am sorry - I overlooked this thread as I don't show. Welcome to Catsey anyway.

I want to go to a cat show, but still haven't made it - one day perhaps!

Of course you could always show photos of your cats here - they would be very welcome as we are mad cat people who just love cat pictures!

dandysmom
13-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Second the photo request, Darwin! :D

borderdawn
13-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Thank you for the welcomes. The breeders of my cats are very very helpful but additional views/ experiences are always useful. I am sorry you did not enjoy showng borderdawn. I have no idea if I will, or if the cats will either! As long as the other competitors are friendly and welcoming I shall be fine. If they are unpleasant, over-competitive or unhelpful to beginers then I shall forget the whole idea :D But if the breeders of my cats are anything to go by, it should be a fun day out with other mad cat people!!!! ;)

I agree if you like it then go for it, I hated it yet have enjoyed showing dogs for over 23yrs. The difference being I didnt like leaving the cat unattended for 2hrs while they were judged, acceptable absolutely, but then to have to stay for a further 4 hours afterwards was awful. So boring. Cant say the Cat wasnt content there, he was very relaxed the whole time and very friendly with all throughout, just not my scene.

I also didnt like that it was so easy to "make up" Cats into champions, Im used to competing with upto 250 other dogs of the same breed, I guess I thought it was too easy, Id not feel Id won anything really.

Give it a go, see how you like it, you wont know till you try. Some pics will be nice, I have 3 BSH.