Finally this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/molidoodle/DSC04129.jpg

Mags
02-07-2010, 07:53 PM
That's amazing! :shock:

Moli
02-07-2010, 07:54 PM
That's amazing! :shock:
I sowed those seeds 4 days ago and they have come up already..The big plant is 3 years old now.....

dandysmom
02-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Wow! :shock: Amazing indeed. The big plant looks sort of like an aloe, or some sort of a cactus. Didn't you get the fruit from the market? What does it taste like?

Moli
02-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Wow! :shock: Amazing indeed. The big plant looks sort of like an aloe, or some sort of a cactus. Didn't you get the fruit from the market? What does it taste like?
Got it from Tesco's, never tried it, bought it for the seeds, its very like kiwi fruit, seeds are through the flesh....

yola
02-07-2010, 08:18 PM
So will the seeds eventually grow up to be like the prickly plant in the hanging basket?

If so, I'm impressed . . . flowers are currently completely beyond me :roll:

dandysmom
02-07-2010, 08:33 PM
I was so intrigued by this I Googled it. Here's a long but informative link. It is a cactus from South America, and apparently extremely good for you nutritionally. But needs a very warm climate and is pollenated nocturnally by bats/moths, so afraid you won't get any fruit, Moli! What a fun thing to try!

http://dragon-fruit.biz/

Moli
02-07-2010, 08:37 PM
I was so intrigued by this I Googled it. Here's a long but informative link. It is a cactus from South America, and apparently extremely good for you nutritionally. But needs a very warm climate and is pollenated nocturnally by bats/moths, so afraid you won't get any fruit, Moli! What a fun thing to try!

http://dragon-fruit.biz/
Thanks for the info Eileen, was not really bothered by fruit, love to get different things to try and grow....these are in my conservatory, which gets very hot in the summer....

dandysmom
02-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Ah, forgot you had a conservatory! I was going to ask you for some spare seeds but it would never do well here; house not warm enough in the Winter.

Oh well, I can grow an avocado instead! :D

Moli
02-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Ah, forgot you had a conservatory! I was going to ask you for some spare seeds but it would never do well here; house not warm enough in the Winter.

Oh well, I can grow an avocado instead! :D
Thats a shame, I have hundreds of seeds too....:?

angieh
02-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm impressed Moli. I have grown Agave from seed this year and Aloe Vera. I thought the Aloe had passed away, but it's still alive. You have to be careful not to overwater those sort of seeds. How have you watered your Dragon Fruit?

Will have to bring them indoors overwinter as I don't heat my greenhouse.

farthing
02-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Wow, that's impressive, it must be a plant with recalcitant seeds, most plants need their seeds to be dried and 'ripened' but a few can be grown straight from the fruit- kiwi is the same. We grew some kiwi work to try and reproduce them using micropropagation, but it was very hard to get the medium right and they all grew looking a bit brittle and anaemic.:lol:

Moli
02-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm impressed Moli. I have grown Agave from seed this year and Aloe Vera. I thought the Aloe had passed away, but it's still alive. You have to be careful not to overwater those sort of seeds. How have you watered your Dragon Fruit?

Will have to bring them indoors overwinter as I don't heat my greenhouse.
All I have done is watered it Angie....

dandysmom
02-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Angie, I don't know about agave, but my aloes live in the house Winter and Summer and do fine. One aloe is over 40 years old!

dandysmom
02-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Thats a shame, I have hundreds of seeds too....:?

Well, if you wouldn't mind then please do send me a few seeds and I'll give it a try! Nothing ventured ...... :-D

random
03-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Oh wow that's brill, might give one a go myself!

angieh
03-07-2010, 12:39 PM
All I have done is watered it Angie....

Moli, I guessed you had but a guide would help - eg. once a week, when the soil has dried out etc. :-D

angieh
03-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Just read some of the info on the link Eileen posted. Very interesting - another "wonder fruit". I'd certainly like to try growing if you could spare a few seeds Moli?

I am trying Goji berry and Honey berry this year - but no berries yet!

Now where can I get a couple of bats?????

Mags
03-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Now where can I get a couple of bats?????

Try the local cricket club, Angie ;) :D

calismum
03-07-2010, 02:08 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am v impressed moli. Be interesting to see how long it takes the seedlings to look like the mature plant.

angieh
03-07-2010, 02:19 PM

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Moli
03-07-2010, 07:25 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am v impressed moli. Be interesting to see how long it takes the seedlings to look like the mature plant.
The big plant took about 3 years...

Moli
03-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Moli, I guessed you had but a guide would help - eg. once a week, when the soil has dried out etc. :-D
Tbh, I water it when I remember to.....:roll:If you pm me your address I will send you some seeds also...

dandysmom
03-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I looked in Whole Foods but they don't carry Dragon Fruit :(

dandysmom
16-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm sorry to say that after two attempts I've had no germination at all. :( I thought perhaps I hadn't washed the gel off thoroughly so tried again, still nothing.

I have wondered if perhaps the envelope was x-rayed when it went thru Customs ... I normally have a quite green thumb.

angieh
16-08-2010, 10:16 PM
I have to confess I have had no germination either. My little seeds looked to be already splitting when I planted them and I was so hopeful but nothing has happened.

dandysmom
16-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Glad I wasn't the only one then, Angie. Guess I can scrub the x-ray theory, Maybe the seeds have a short viability span???

Moli
17-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Glad I wasn't the only one then, Angie. Guess I can scrub the x-ray theory, Maybe the seeds have a short viability span???
Did you put cling film over them ladies???

Shame they have not sprouted, wonder if perhaps its too late in the year...I would over winter them, and see what happens int he spring....

angieh
17-08-2010, 10:21 PM
I put mine inside a plastic bag .................

dandysmom
17-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Yes, I used cling film over the pot.