PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Cat Tips?

Darky
01-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey, everyone! I've been in the hectic process of moving, and finally have the internet again, hurrah! Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum, I wasn't really sure where to post it.

So now my home is perfect (apart from wanting a puppy, but shush), I live in a first floor flat (nothing below us but garages, we have a ground floor front door with normal steps going up to the first floor inside the flat itself) with my two cats, Honey and Lemon.

Honey was an outdoor cat before (Lemon has always been indoors-only), but has adjusted to being indoors-only very well as I thought he would, but he suffers with restless-ness in the evenings which I'm not really sure how to solve. We bought him a catnip toy, which he loved, and Lemon soon destroyed it.

For indoor cat owners, how do you entertain your fickle felines?

Honey also is very scared of new people, so we're adjusting to feeling guilty when we have to go somewhere and my fiance's cat-loving Mum and sister visit to look after and feed the cats, and he doesn't know what to do with himself. (Being in the flat with new people is scary enough, but when we're not there too he has difficulty handling it.)

Also, windows!

Heat waves are evil, and this flat sucks in heat like mad. We've bought two fans for the lounge and now also open the windows with the blinds in front of them (only when we're in there to keep an eye on the cats, just in case) to try and get fresh air circulating and cooling the room, but even so the other night Lemon started panting after playing because it was just too hot.

Any tips on improving air circulation in a place with indoor cats? How do you safely open your windows?

Absolutely any tips, hints, tales, etc. for keeping indoor cats on any subject would be super appreciated!

<3

Sez
01-07-2010, 04:18 PM
My fiancé and I picked up our first kitten together last night (we've both had cats separately, but not for many years), so I've been thinking similar things, as our boy (who is as yet nameless) is going to be an indoor cat.

I've had indoor cats before, and found the most effective things for windows are either a good mesh screen on the inside, to allow light and air circulation or baby-proof latches to prevent them being opened very far - of course, with the latches, it depends on the size of your cat, as a slight cat could probably still wriggle through!

You could probably make your own screen quite cheaply, with some stiff mesh and wood to make a sturdy frame, screw it on a hinge and put in a bolt or latch to keep it closed.

dandysmom
01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Definitely window screens! Available at most hardware stores here; measure your windows for correct size.

Toys for indoor cats: mice, feather-on-a-pole toy, scrunched up foil balls to chase, a box......

Spooky with strangers cats: no advice there, Two of mine were like that, always vanished when people were over even though they had met them before. Time is the answer, they outgrow it eventually when they're around 10. Sorry, that's probably not what you wanted to hear! Poor Honey, a big change for him.

Glad you're settling and enjoying the new flat. Pics?

niki71uk
01-07-2010, 06:55 PM
You Can Get Security Window Locks From B&q,the Window Can Only Open Wide Enough For 1 Leg,if The Window Opens Side Ways,i Use That,so My Indoor Cat Doesnt Escape,i Have Them On All Windows,to Let Fresh Air In

pcspik
09-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Re: spooky cats. I would be tempted to use Rescue Remedy every day in water. Although it does take a while for it to work, rather than "stop starting" it would be better all around for it to be used constantly. Rescue Remedy is available from Boots, Holland and Barratt or independent health shops. I would also use a Feliway diffuser in addition. Give him also somewhere to hide - either a dark place or an covered bed. Unfortunately some cats will never be happy with strangers, but these precautions will at least help with your cat being less nervous.

As for cats and indoors, well, the only thing is to provide lots of different toys in rotation. My two are indoors only, and they dont have to be expensive - for example my Tigger was playing with a milk bottle top the other day. Just as long as it is safe (for example nothing made out of glass) for the cats. IF you do have room then a multilevel scratching post is ideal.

If you can, then grow a cat nip plant or cat grass in a plant pot, or any cat friendly plant (please do ensure that it is safe, for example lillies are a definite no-no) for variety. However if you are like me and cant grow anything plant wise, then perhaps buy some catnip. Someone here suggested Valerian as an alternative to Catnip (Valerian tablets can be found in Holland & Barratt), though I have not tried this myself.

A couple of people said about cat proof latches/screens these are good, but if you are renting (you dont say whether you own the flat or rent it) please check with the landlord. I dont have any of those because I am in rented accommodation & cant fit them due to my tenancy agreement, but fortunately I am on the ground floor so they are not in any danger if they do fall out.

As for heat spells, look at your water! We all know the importance of fresh water, but look how you give it and what it is in contained in. If it is hot, give the water in ice cube format. If you normally give your water in a metal water bowl then swap to ceramic (or an human food bowl!) if possible, because metal conducts heat. This in turn makes the water warmer, which does not cool down the kitty. Other than that, get some flannels (or tear up an old towel into flannel sized strips) & immerse them in cold water. Place them somewhere out of direct sunlight on the kitchen floor for them to lie on, and if your bathroom floor is made out of lino, then put them there too (I would not recommend putting them on carpets or wood flooring as it will soak through and rot the carpet/wood flooring).

As for restlessness at night, then playing more at that time & the combination of Rescue Remedy/Feliway should help.

dandysmom
09-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Some excellent advice there pcspik! I tried valerian, but Leia's not a catnip responder so I wasn't too surprised when she didn't react to it either

Both of my spooky with strangers cats had either passed on or outgrown it so I never got a chance to try the Rescue Remedy; had not heard of it before Catsey.

pcspik
10-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Both of my spooky with strangers cats had either passed on or outgrown it so I never got a chance to try the Rescue Remedy; had not heard of it before Catsey.

My parent's cat is terrified of strangers, so she hides every single time that someone comes to the house. Usually behind the chair or under one of the beds. Unfortunately at 8 years old she does not show any sign of getting better, so we have come to the conclusion it's just part of her character, and put up with it. She's scared of a lot of things, but funnily enough not fireworks!

So like I said, some cats may never get better, but the above precautions should at least make the cats life better.

nickynoo93
11-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I've recently moved from a 1st floor flat to a bungalow. In the flat I could only have the windows open a little bit. Now we use cable ties to keep the windows partially open, only when we are in. They are allowed supervised access to the garden.:) When we buy our own place later in the year I will be buying window screens.

I used Feliway difuser for 1 week before the move, and I've got another refill on order. It made him more cuddly as well.

Charlie is a hider, under the bed usually. He still hides when strangers come in but does come out now to have a look, see if he likes the look of them or not.lol

Nicky