PDA

View Full Version : Cats recognizing cars

dandysmom
25-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Following on the thread about cats and the phone, that reminded me of my neighbor's cat who could recognize the sound of his owners car. Frisky, a DLH brown tabby used to spend a lot of time in the Summer in my back garden with me after mine were inside post walks.

He could always tell, would leave the yard and run to greet his owner who was parking in front of the house. He never paid a bit of attention to other cars coming or going, just when it was Dorea, I was curious enough to go look whenever he left suddenly like that, and he was always right.

Is that unusual?

calismum
25-06-2010, 10:12 PM
All my cats, dogs and my horse all recognised the house cars!

Horse also recognised the farriers van and if I didn't have him in it was a chase round the field to catch!

My sisters cats recognise her car too.

cats' staff
25-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Our three recognize our cars and generally turn out to say 'hello'.

PoshPuss
25-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Yes Posh used to go to the window when I came home long before the car came into the street. All the more interesting because I never kept regular hours ;)

alexgirl73
25-06-2010, 11:27 PM
yup, Broxi does it too (Teddie and Cooper are too lazy to move lol). But Robert tells me that Broxi will go and sit in front of the door even before I pull into the drive!!

dandysmom
25-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Interesting! Glad I posted this; it had to be sound as my yard has a six foot stockade fence so it was not as if he could see the car. , Amazing hearing.

EmmaG
26-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Arthur and Bronwyn know the sound of our cars, if they are in the hallway and Martin goes down the road in the car they know!!

angieh
26-06-2010, 01:56 PM
I am sure Merlin knew and was always at the door to meet me. Because we are generally at home now, Kizzy and Pip don't seem to take notice of the cars.

jacks
26-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Minnie knows the sound of my car.OH says he knows when im home before i walk through the door as minnie is in the window meowing and pacing to and fro.
Also if OH gets home first minnie wont come downstairs until i come home.He says she sits up top the stairs crying.He has to go up and give her cuddles.