PDA

View Full Version : The Clans Vet Visit

Liz
19-06-2010, 06:49 PM
So today we have 8 cats and 2 dogs at teh vet for 9am - Oh takes the cats in one car and I take the dogs in the other - it went downhill from there

1. New Receptionist
2. New Vet

So OH unloads the cats and gets them all in to the vets room ready fort he start - we had 8 Program Injections, 2 Boosters and 2 sets of "First" injections and the dogs were there for their Kennel Cough snort!

Vet advises OH to weigh all the cats in the boxes and then she would have them all out 1 by 1 - OH excplains nicely that the 2 in the Crush cages will stay in the crush cages and are only for Program - Sabrina and Storm both OK in the house but Bengal Tigers in Tabby and Grey and white respectively! Vet misses Sabrina's Program injection and now sees why Sabrina is in a crusher she is very hissingly nasty and really didn't want another needle let alone the first one - vet then asks to see her teeth can we open crush cage OH by this point is seething somewhat - I then enter the room and she nearly has heart failure on seeing Oscar all 7.1kgs of him and says he needs booster + program no only program - she is looking at the wrong Wilson by this point!

Calmly I ask for a sheet of paper and write down names, injections requirements and weights as we now have table scales in the room and things are going slightly better till she advises Sweetie has hardly any teeth and haas she seen by that practice - OH now is spitting feathers as I try to play referee and advise that Sweetie has been seen by the practice since we registered and that full vet records - Paper and CD were provided for all the cats that came with us when we moved!

So by now the ferals in normal boxes are getting twitchy fortuinately they are runners not fighters so tend to freeze - Pebbles and Shaile were very well behaved all things by this point considered!

Now comes Wispa and Fudge for their"kitten" injections she nearly has heart failure again when Wispa all 6kgs of him walks out of the box http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/Smileys/purrs%20smilies/rotf.gif we then nearly got a lecture on not injecting out cats till they were 2 - I then politely advised they were rescue cats and came this age - Wispa and Fudge all 3.75kgs were very well behaved but came home without their ID Chips as OH was just about ready to punch the vet! http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/Smileys/purrs%20smilies/censored.gif

I then say I will go and get the dogs - vets says not booked in oh yes says I they are here's the card! So Sky and Sunny were both being very well behaved when so idiot with another dog on an extension lead not clicked in to place decided to get a bit gobby with Sky who is a sweetheart so his gobby brother Sunny gets all hackles up and trys to get the dog having a go at this brother - the other owner by this point has lost control of lead and dog and Sunny ain't happy and Sky is sitting trying to mind his own business so I gets Sunny down and stand on his lead - fortunately short leads for my boys and get extension lead cord and advise owner to pull it in or else in very polite big words!

Sky and Sunny see same vet - Sunny is 27kgs and perfect she then tells me Sky is fat - he has lost 7kgs in the last 2 months as he piled on the weight during my Dads ilnnes and death period - I tell her to check the weights on the computer she then messes up Skys Snort so he gets another one up the other nostril and she managed Sunny's!

SO this new vet will not be seeing any of the Clan again - or there may be a death!

The New vet also cost the surgery 2 Program injections at £32.00 each by missing and one kennel cough at 20.00

I then advised receptionist we would be back to pay and she nearly had a hissy fit about that till the Partner stuck his head round and said thats fine Liz see you later! As our bill today came in at £512.00 I think we will be seeing a real vet next month with another 7!!!!

I know that we are with a great practice but sometimes we do know better than the vet if they come in a crusher they stay in it - saves the vet several nasty injections and shredded skin http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/Smileys/purrs%20smilies/evillaugh.gif

Shelley123
19-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Wow what a visit Liz. Like you say sometimes we know our animals best and vets should listen. Glad everyone is home safe and sound.

dandysmom
19-06-2010, 08:10 PM
OMG, the day from Hell! Poor Liz ........

angieh
19-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Wonder if that vet will sleep well tonight?????? Or have a few restless dreams about your next visit!!!!

What dedication. I take my hat off to you and your OH.

farthing
19-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Was that the Saturday vet Liz, I haven't met her yet, but she is supposed to be good, and this must have been the new receptionists first time on her own. They don't even know who I am and I work for the practice. I guess they just live and learn and can't be expected to know those who know their animals and those who don't and they don't always have time to read the notes. I always have a regular vet at Kintore so I can 'read' whether the client is well known ( and vice versa for any new vets), but if both are new they have to revert to 'normal' routine.

alexgirl73
20-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Good grief, you deserve a medal after that lol. But you tell the stories so well, we can almost imagine being there!

Kazz
20-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Brilliant.....good Lord, what a day.............£512.....and you are taking another 7 next month you must keep the vet in business have you thought of sponsoring a young vet through vet school then getting them as your private vet.

calismum
20-06-2010, 05:34 PM
I know the feeling - though not in the same volume - lol.

After many exasperated visits to our surgery and letting new vets see me and my animals I now have 4 vets I know and trust. Apart from emergencies I always call ahead to see who is on and dble check before I leave.

Well done for keeping your cool and extracting your OH before thing got too bad.

PoshPuss
20-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Thank goodness I only have to take one :roll: You must have to plan ahead for weeks for a visit like that :lol:

Liz
21-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Louise - we seem to be the training schedule with cats for all the new vets - we can see the old ones at the back usually waiting to see if newbie is shredded! I don't mind but to be treated as an indiot and her looking at the wrong record doesn't instil a lot of faith.

Just to say I always leave the vet without paying a bill as OH pays all the vets bills and looking at our account would tell them - also as an aside the bill wasn't on the computer till after 11am as we had to wait when we came back to pay it!