PDA

View Full Version : Why Oh Why?

angieh
19-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Don't "perfectly reasonable people" get their cats neutered???

I know that I am risking starting up an argument here, but I don't intend that - can we have a reasonable discussion about the reasons why people don't get their cats neutered?

I learned today that Pip's mother Lara was killed on the May Bank Holiday whilst heavily pregnant. Her people were distraught, but .......... wait ............. Pip's other sister has had a litter - she is just 1 year old as is Pip, so Lara's people are taking one of her litter. You could have knocked me down with a wet lettuce.

Lara's owners were lovely people - one a doctor, the other studying for her doctorate - therefore intelligent. They obviously cared for Lara and found homes for her kittens. BUT THEY DIDN'T HAVE HER SPAYED. They didn't sell the kittens, so they weren't out to make money from her offspring, but THEY DIDN'T HAVE HER SPAYED. I offered money for Pip to be put towards having Lara spayed. They didn't want money for him and THEY DIDN'T HAVE HER SPAYED.

Quite apart from the person (whom I don't know) who had Pip's other sister who DIDN'T HAVE HER SPAYED.

How can we Catsey members who know that it is best for the cat and best all round to have their cats neutered get the message across? I don't believe in shouting, but I'm coming to a point where I just don't know where these people get their reasoning from.

As I said, I don't want to start any arguments as I accept 100% the spay/neuter message; so please excuse this rant.

Elaine
19-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Did or can you try to engage them into a conversation about responsible cat ownership and the very valid reasons for spay and neuter?
I dont have the answers Angie, you know my feelings about it, to my detrement sometimes, I can be more reactive than reason. Something I do try to work on but it's not always easy.

angieh
19-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks Elaine - I can't personally talk to them. They live in Oxford and I've only met them once when I went to pick Pip up.

The reason I posted above really is to question what I'm missing about how people think it's OK not to neuter. Without wishing to offend anyone, is it like some religions not believing in contraception? Or just does it go back to a time like when I was a kid, when no-one got their animals spayed, it was just not something that was considered "normal".

(Scratching head and a lot of shoulder shrugging going on here.)

PoshPuss
19-06-2010, 03:07 PM
It never occurred to me to NOT get Posh spayed! When we took her in we had no idea of her history of course but the last thing I wanted was to take on kittens too, so when we realised she was female and when she started 'calling' that was enough to convince us!!

Now her previous owners have told us she was a mother of 2 litters. I understand they bought her as a purebreed and must have let her have have kittens by any old Tom, Dick or Harry as she was allowed to wander!! ( not chipped either!!) So there's another question why invest ££ in a cat to 1. not chip it and 2. not spay and s*d the consequences.

I'm all for breeding and showing as a hobby/fancy but I believe it should be under licence. Just my thoughts, no condemnation ok, ;)

dandysmom
19-06-2010, 04:32 PM
I can't understand that mindset either. My childhood cat was neutered, and that was back in the 30s when many people, as Angie said, didn't. There are those that think it's "not natural". And then there are people who sincerwly believe a cat should have just one litter of kittens. My close friend Carolyn did that with Kate; all my reasoning did no good. And she is an extremely responsible cat owner in all other respects, shots, annual inspections, healthy food, etc. And I will say she vetted the tom (a Siamese in our neighborhood) thoroughly, talked to his people to make sure he saw a vet regularly and was in good health before she allowed the mating. And made the people who took the kittens to pass a strict inspection and sign a form saying they'd be returned to her if the owners could no longer keep them. I could never convince her ....:(

Sorry this is a bit long.

angieh
19-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks Eileen - it's helpful to know that someone you know very well and have obviously discussed this issue with has also been "stubborn" in this respect.

I have emailed the person who told me about Lara being killed. I hope that I was tactful and made it clear that I wasn't trying to lecture her but asked whether she could try and convince her friend (Lara's owner) to have her new kitten spayed. Difficult because she is a friend of a friend of mine and I don't know what her attitude is.

Kazz
19-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Makes you wonder doesn't it.
I have never understood it myself, so can offer no point of view.

Shelley123
19-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Angie i am so sorry to hear about Lara, it doesn't bear thinking about. I mean her being killed as well as the Kittens.
I can't answer your question about spaying, some people although intelligent actualy have no common sense.

calismum
19-06-2010, 06:06 PM
I cannot understand either why you wouldn't spay/neuter. I had a conversation just a wek or so ago with a work colleague on this matter. Their very strong opinion is that the cat will be much more mature and be healthier if they are allowed to have one or two litters. You would have been proud of how calm I managed to keep myself although I was seething inside.

The end result is that she has promised she will discuss her view with her vet and be led by their advice as she does not want a kitten.

I have no idea how we can rid people of this foolish notion - I have heard it used so often.

Elaine
19-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Read an article recently which was about cat collectors. It spoke about people, predominantly women, having this need to nurture and I guess feel needed by thier "children".
Men seem to harbour feelings of guilt about males, dogs or cats, having their testicles removed. Several blokes have said similar to me and I replied, so how would you feel having testicles, raging hormones etc and never being able to release as it were....
There are also those who impose their human morals onto the animals.

farthing
19-06-2010, 06:29 PM
I think the desire from people who want kittens rather than mature rescue cats has to be removed before many people stop having kittens. If they couldn't 'get rid' things might change, but until then there will be people who like having cute babies, allowing the cat to do what was intended:roll: and suppling a demand.

There seems to be a totally different attitude towards cats, I've found, as if the are a wild animal because they are more independant.

I see people with both cats and dogs' the dogs get vaccinated, neutered and microchipped, the cats get wormed- that's it!:shock:

niki71uk
19-06-2010, 07:08 PM
thing is tho angie,had pips mum been spayed then u wouldnt of got pip??????

angieh
19-06-2010, 08:20 PM
thing is tho angie,had pips mum been spayed then u wouldnt of got pip??????

You are quite right of course, but that was last year and perhaps I was naive. The people said that Lara had accidentally "got out" and ended up pregnant. They said they were going to have her spayed, which, sadly, they didn't do. Perhaps I have helped to perpetuate their stupidity. After all, I happily bought Pip home. Maybe it is the maternal urge in some women. Lara's owner, although very intelligent was that age and presumably she was putting her career before motherhood herself and perhaps satisfying her need to nurture via her mother cat.

I am sure there are all sorts of reasons, some very deep seated that need tackling here.

Kim
19-06-2010, 09:45 PM
I can't understand it either, I always get my cats (and dogs) neutered. Perhaps some people just don't realise the huge unwanted cat problem.

dandysmom
19-06-2010, 10:12 PM
When I tried to dissuade my friend from letting her cat have one litter it was long ago and I hadn't been on here and not as aware of the over supply of kittens in shelters. Knowing then what I know now I could have pointed out that her 3 kittens (who had been given a wonderful start in life) were taking the place of 3 shelter kits in need of a home...:(. Education is the answer, but those who would heed it probably don't need it; those who need it don't read it.

How to get more info out about spay/neuter????

angieh
19-06-2010, 10:15 PM
That is so true Eileen.

IMO it needs a good TV campaign - If only animal charities would work together to educate. In the best of all possible worlds ..............

CathyW
23-06-2010, 06:57 PM
there was a familt near me who had an adorable tabby, and she was always pregnant. have 1 lot then not long later more kittens on the way. u knew when she had given birth as she wasnt sitting on the windowsill waiting to come in. then u would see the advert go up in the window. kittens for sale. 50 quid!!!! nice little earner for them i spose.
used to get me very cross. they had money. all well dressed. nice car. spotless house. and a poor cat.
then theres the cat aross the road i call asbo. hes always getting into fights. very territorial, hes often in our garden. ronnie will chase him off. but reggies a timid mummys boy who comes in straight away.
his owner ive offered to take him to the vets for her. said she can use 1 of our cat boxes. even gave her a\voucher from the CPL so it wouldnt cost her a penny. but no hes still got all his *bits*
maybe when he starts spraying up her stuff indoors she might think differently.
and these are moggys. so they can use the exzcuse they want to use them for breeding.

Netty
23-06-2010, 08:04 PM
A friend of mine has 2 cats, brother and sister. I have just been told that the female is pregnant for the 2nd time. The 1st time she was pregnant I told my friend that she should get both or at least one of them spayed because of the risk involved with siblings mating ( Im sure I heard somewhere that there can be problems with in breeding, I may be wrong?). I told her again she should do it, but she hasn't yet!