PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Hedgehog

random
15-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Honestly, it would be me!

Walking Star to my dads this evening to pick up the wee man and happened upon a wee hedgehog laying in the middle of the path in broad daylight. At first I thought he was dead but when I looked closer I could see he was breathing. Star is a gentle and good natured dog, she was, for the most part clueless but I let her have a wee sniff (a controlled sniff before anyone jumps at me) just to see if he would roll up into a ball and he did, albeit slowly.

Well I couldn't leave him there could I? Aside from me instantly thinking he was hurt or unwell to be out in the street and in broad daylight, if any of the 'yoofs' round there got hold of him it would not have been a happy ending for the poor wee man.

So took him to my dad's and popped him in a cat carrier. He is clearly unwell and struggling to even keep his head up off the floor and is breathing erratically. :( My dad thinks that perhaps he has ingested some poison as he only looks like last years baby poor thing. He doesn't appear injured in anyway but there is only so much investigation you can do with such a spikey creature!

So took him home with me and put some hay in the cat carrier for him to bed down on and some cat meat and water for him. Hopefully he will make it through the night and be a bit perkier tomorrow. Will ring our local hedgehog rescue for advice in the morning if he is still with us and will let you know how he gets on. Took some pics but will upload them tomorrow.

dandysmom
15-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Awww, bless for helping the poor wee thing! Hope he makes it thru the night, Random!

Moli
15-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Thast one lucky hedgehog, at least he has a chance being found by you...:)Hope the wee guy perks up...

alexgirl73
15-06-2010, 11:09 PM
good luck to the wee guy x

random
15-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks guys, he is just sleeping now, he hasn't touched any of the food or water and I put that in at about 8pm, he hasn't moved much at all, he isn't in a ball, he's just sleeping, I pray he is still with us in the morning poor thing.

trick
15-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Hegdies should not be out during the day so you did the right thing, also offering food and water. however it does not sound good for the wee thing so if it does make it through the night take it to a vet or rescue centre asap. They carry alot of nasties like fleas ticks and worms so keep away from other pets.

random
15-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Hegdies should not be out during the day so you did the right thing, also offering food and water. however it does not sound good for the wee thing so if it does make it through the night take it to a vet or rescue centre asap. They carry alot of nasties like fleas ticks and worms so keep away from other pets.

Thanks yes he was out in broad daylight and sleeping on the path and I know that a hedgehog sleeping away from his nest is not good either. He is clearly unwell, we have had them in our garden before from me being a wee girl and I have never seen one as subdued as this, even ones FULL of ticks and fleas.

The fleas i'm not too worried about as if he has them, they are species specific and will not survive long away from the hedgehog and don't survive on cats and dogs according to tiggywinkles website but nevertheless, he is away from the other animals of course and anywhere they frequent, just incase he does have something nasty.

Will update in the morning. x

random
16-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Mr hedgehog is very very poorly this morning, i'm not sure he will even make it through the day. He is not even curling up much now, it all seems too hard for him. Still didn't touch the food or water so I have tried syringing him some water but he's not even fussed about that and just letting it dribble out of the other side of his mouth. http://www.dogsey.com/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif Will try and get through to the wildlife centre as soon as my vet opens and I can get the number from them, late for school run now have to dash but will update anyone who is interested as and when, please pray for him the poor wee thing.

random
16-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Sadly he was too poorly too pull through and the vet is 'probably' going to put him to sleep.

Tried my best wee man, have fun at the bridge x

alexgirl73
16-06-2010, 12:18 PM
aww, you gave him a chance random, more than many would have x

pookyandjo
16-06-2010, 12:40 PM
lucky you stumbled upon him Random... better that the vet helps him on his way rather than to have him suffering on when the end result will be that he's too poorly to make it...

Mags
16-06-2010, 12:41 PM
You tried your best for him, Random (((hugs)))

angieh
16-06-2010, 03:42 PM
You did all you could for him random. RIP Hedgy.

Hope there's not something affecting them atm. My OH saw one walking across the fairway in broad daylight a week ago but it was at least moving.

dandysmom
16-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Sad. :( But you did your best.

Kim
16-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Poor thing, at least you tried and he didn't end his days being badly treated.

random
16-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys x

Moli
16-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Poor little guy...you tried Random..as others have said, some would not have bothered...