PDA

View Full Version : Posh's Other LIfe !

PoshPuss
09-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Grab a cuppa, its a long story!... here goes,

About to seetle down last night to watch Holby and my mobile rang, number not recognised but I answered and a woman on the other end asked if I was the woman who had lost her cat. I was pleased to tell her that my cat was now home thanks but she interrupted that the cat I had was HER cat. :shock: She had been given one of my lost posters by her grand-daughter who thought that Posh was the cat her nan had lost nearly 3 years ago. My heart flipped over and I felt a bit sick, was this woman Posh's true owner and would I have to part with my baby??
I panicked, and I'm ashamed to say :oops: I fibbed that we'd had Posh a long time and that she couldn't be hers, I explained that she had a microchip and was spayed, I even said we'd bought her from a breeder... I know it was wrong but I was getting upset and began to cry :cry:

This woman lives in a council estate not far from me and explained that she'd moved there 4 years ago and the cat she had never settled, always wandered off. She described Posh in detail, she was called Purdey, had had 2 lots of kittens with her, but she said that's all she wanted to know was, that she was safe and well cared for. I broke down and admitted my fibs and said yes, Posh came to us in November 07 and I tried to find her owner via vets and posters but after month no-one was forthcoming and we decided to adopt her. The woman said she couldn't understand that as she had told vets and CP etc. that her cat was missing.

I pleaded with her not to reclaim her cat as I grown so attached to her, she promised me that was not her intention. Anyhow, she is housebound but asked if her husband could come to my house to see the cat and assure her it that it was 'Purdey' and see that she was ok. I agreed and within half an hour her husband, Ray, came to my door. I held Posh and it was very amicable, he had a cuddle and then we parted. I promised that I would send a photograph to her for her to keep. She, I no know is called Jan, has grown up children and her babies are now 2 yorkie terriers, also a black cat who would not tolerate another puss on his patch. I assured her that Posh is the most pampered cat on the block and that we love her dearly. I feel guilty that she must have gone through the same sense of loss that I did when Posh was missing. But as Ceri and my SIL said, why hadn't she chipped her as she was an expensive cat to buy?? She wasn't spayed as I think they wanted her for breeding. But knowing she was a wanderer, she could have had her chipped and from the outset she'd have had her back.

I've always wondered about Posh's origins. Now there is a back story, not dumped or abused but just a cat always on the lookout for good deal. :roll: Well, no more kittens for her but funny to think she'd been a mum, wonder what they looked like?

What do you think I should do now, apart from give her up, I can't bear to do that. :?

yola
09-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Oh my God :shock: It never occured to me (and obviously not to you) that Posh going missing would flush out her previous owner. I suppose that there was every chance it might . . .

Hopefully she will see that Posh is settled and happy in a single-cat household and won't pursue things. However possession is 9/10ths of the law and as you can provide Posh lives with you there's not much she can do, especially as there was no microchip to prove ownership. I certainly wouldn't think you should consider or indeed should need to, give her up.

PoshPuss
09-06-2010, 09:47 AM
No Yola, I couldn't do that now, I've invested too much emotional energy and time and, it must be said, money, in keeping the princess a safe house pet. I'm sorry she lost her initially but its been almost 2 and a half years now and she has moved on. She and her husband understand that but I think her kids may be curious, certainly the grandchildren that gave her the poster.

Do you think she believes me that I did try and find the owner, I could confirm that with the vets. I feel a little mixed up today, :?

alexgirl73
09-06-2010, 11:26 AM
oh Nette, what emotions you must be going through, But I agree with Yola. You did everything in your power to find Posh's owner when she first turned up at yours, they have nothing to prove that she was theirs and tbh, it doesn't sound as if she would fit back in at her house (can you imagine Posh having to share her turf with 2 yappity yorkies and a grumpy cat?), and that she's not particularly wanting her back, maybe just needed to know she was safe and loved. Big ((hugs)) xx

Moli
09-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Goodness, what a story.....But have to agree with everyone else, you tried to find her owners, and as you have had her so long now, she stays where she is, with her mum...

Mags
09-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Little did you know that Posh's wandering adventure would result in you discovering her history. :D

So pleased for you Nette, chapter now closed! :D

Elaine
09-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Personally I think it was very irresponsible of the previous owner to allow her to wonder with out being spayed, I'd imagine the two litters she had would have been mixed breed. You did Posh a big service taking her in and having her spayed.

I wouldnt worry too much about it at this point unless you hear any more.

I for one would argue your case for you if need be. xxx

angieh
09-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Goodness Nette - what an emotional time you've had recently. Seems you have a little adventuress there - she's wandered off twice now, luckily with no bad consequences. You must be glad that you have that tracker on her now. She has the wanderlust in her blood which is probably unusual for such a little Madam.

I must admit that I watched Kizzy like a hawk when she first started going out, just in case she took it into her head to run away as she had before. I was so relieved when she came home again and seems to now be a trustworthy girl.

It's nice to know her story - but remember that you have a bunch of Catseyers here who will all stand up for you if need be. I'm quite prepared to swear on Alfrey Davey!

Shelley123
09-06-2010, 02:30 PM
My goodness what a story, and what a shock for you.
In my opinion there is nothing else to do, the lady has already said Posh wouldn't fit back in her home and she is settled and well cared for with you, it would be cruel for her to lose her home with you.

PoshPuss
09-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks girls I knew you'd understand. I've hada text off Jan ( previous owner) and she nicely asked for a pic of Posh and asked if we could stay in touch. I said yes and sent a pic on the phone. She has no designs on Posh now, just relieved to know she's in safe hands.

I know you would have stuck by me, and yes its great to know her history. Would love to see pics of her babies ;)

yola
09-06-2010, 02:56 PM
But I have to add, that Purdey was a beautiful name for her. Really, really suits her (but not as much as Posh . . . :D )

angieh
09-06-2010, 03:57 PM
She actually has three names now, Purdey Posh Frankie ........

dandysmom
09-06-2010, 04:23 PM
What a story and emotional roller-coaster for you! I agree with everyone else, you did what you should have done when you found her, and have given her a safe loving home ... she's yours! :)

calismum
09-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Can only agree with everyone. She is your Posh baby and no one elses.

What a little wanderlust she is. I bet her babies were gorgeous - no excuses for letting her have them etc. but I'd love to have seen them too.

Kazz
09-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Wow fancy that what a turn up....I can understand the lady wanting to know if it were her cat though.....................imagine if you had not found Posh then 3-4 years down the lione her picture popped up you would want to be assured....how weird though.

But you found or she found you 3 years ago if she lost Posh 4 years ago where was she for a year?????

Glad it worked out well.

Tink
09-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Wow what an unexpected call. Must have really caught you off guard!
It's nice to know her history though it's always strange for me to picture my babies with someone else. Would be neat if you could see pictures of the kittens she had.

Kim
09-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Wow, what a story! I think Posh is well and truly yours, so no need to worry. At least you know her history now!

Phoenix
09-06-2010, 09:18 PM
I can only be an echo now and say what everyone else has already said.