PDA

View Full Version : The pigs go out.

farthing
05-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Finally we got the pigs back outside- they have been out and then back in a couple of times because of the weather, but this time they are out for the summer.

Being encouraged out of the horsebox,
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/Pigs/025.jpg

Gigi snuffling,
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/Pigs/026.jpg

and getting a cuddle from dad,
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/Pigs/036.jpg

Scarlet digging,
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/Pigs/030.jpg

but its all too much for her,
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/Pigs/032.jpg

alexgirl73
05-06-2010, 06:30 PM
lol, love that last pic of Scarlet :D Adorable pigs!

Mags
05-06-2010, 06:35 PM
I always wondered how you cuddle a pig! :lol:

Such great photos of them, Farthing ........ how long will they stay spotlessly clean like that? :D

Kazz
05-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I adore pigs, I have no idea why there is something about them.

What breed are they?

yola
05-06-2010, 06:39 PM
What darlings! I adore pigs . . . OH had them as a child on his Dad's smallholding; his brother (older) used to ride around on the back of a particularly accommodating one :D

Kim
05-06-2010, 07:16 PM
They are lovely and look so happy - lucky pigs!

Moli
05-06-2010, 07:39 PM
They a real beauties.......Love pigs too...

Shelley123
05-06-2010, 07:59 PM
They are lovely, you don't realise how big they are untill you see them near people.
Is Scarlet a Tamworth ?

dandysmom
05-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I was going to comment on their size too: I had no idea they were that BIG until the cuddle pic! :shock:

angieh
05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
What lucky girls to have such a lovely place to live and dig around in. I wish them a very happy Summer.

Do you put sun screen on either of them, especially Gigi???

pookyandjo
06-06-2010, 02:05 PM
great pics... i have a bit of a soft spot for pigs too.. not sure why but i think its probably because of the social analogy of pigs and police..love the cuddle pic... they are big piggies!!

Tink
07-06-2010, 03:13 AM
aww poor Scarlet was worn out :lol:
i've read a little on pigs and heard they are so intelligent. if i had the room i'd love to have one around :D

farthing
07-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Oooooh, this is the first time I've figured out how to use multi- quote.

I adore pigs, I have no idea why there is something about them.

What breed are they?

Gigi is a commercial white breed and we think Scarlet is a tamworth cross GOS.

I always wondered how you cuddle a pig! :lol:

Such great photos of them, Farthing ........ how long will they stay spotlessly clean like that? :D

They stayed clean for about 10 mins, we have left the hose running in hollow and the promptly went and sat in it, they were black.

They are lovely, you don't realise how big they are untill you see them near people.
Is Scarlet a Tamworth ?

I have always wanted a tamworth but they are hard to come by and if you buy very expensive, we're pretty sure Scarlet has tamworth in her and she was going for meat but became Gigi's companion instead.

What lucky girls to have such a lovely place to live and dig around in. I wish them a very happy Summer.

Do you put sun screen on either of them, especially Gigi???

We do put lotion on Gigi, although they are very clever and know to stay out of the sun.

aww poor Scarlet was worn out :lol:
i've read a little on pigs and heard they are so intelligent. if i had the room i'd love to have one around :D

Pigs are very intelligent, more than dogs, but with a very independant streak. When they look at you it is in a very knowing way. This is what wories me about the trend for micro pigs, I fear that a couple of years down the line there will be many pigs in rescues with behavioural problems, much like the parrots you are helping to look after.

dandysmom
07-06-2010, 10:15 PM
"This is what wories me about the trend for micro pigs, I fear that a couple of years down the line there will be many pigs in rescues with behavioural problems, much like the parrots you are helping to look after."

Farthing, that is exactly what happened here when the fad for Pot-bellied pigs wore off.... the rescues were overloaded with them from people who did not realize what they had gotten themselves into! Such a pity. :(

Tink
07-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Agreed! Many people thought the pot belly pigs would not grow larger and then the fascination wore off once it turned into a grown creature :( I have already seen the micro pigs being advertised on craigslist in seattle so it's already coming this way. i imagine there will be a need for more pig shelters :(

Shelley123
08-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Nothing to do with Pigs but to continue with the theme of unwanted animals.
The same thing happens to Terrapins that happens to micro pigs. People buy them when there small and cute and dump them when they grow too big.
I have spotted two quite large ones in the pond of our local nature reserve. I mentioned it to the ranger thinking maybe they would want to capture them and take them to an animal shelter or something because they often die of cold.
The ranger was dismayed that they had survived the winter because apparently they sometimes take Signets.
As far as i know there are no plans to remove them.

random
08-06-2010, 04:17 PM
OOOOH big fat pigs big fat pigsssssss!

I love pigs! :mrgreen:

Lovely girls, poor Scarlett being overworked!