PDA

View Full Version : When bottle babies grow up.

Kobster
03-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Just wanted everyone's thoughts/experiences with bottle babies after they grow up.

I've raised a fair few litters of kittens in my time, but I've never kept one of the ones I've raised before. I have noticed that these guys (especially if they don't have littermates raised with them) are a bit socially inept, and have difficulties with things normal cats take to quickly, like litter training.

The other thing I've noticed about bottle babies is the ones that I've adopted out then seen back in the vets office months and years later are very very fearful/aggressive. I don't know if this is just coincidence, or if there is something about bottle raising that makes a cat a little off. What have your experiences been with adult bottle babies?

The reason I'm asking is I raised a litter that weaned three weeks ago and are up at the clinic awaiting adoption. One of those babies has really wormed his way into my heart, a little black boy named Ninja. I'm thinking of adopting him, but I don't really want a cat that is going to be antisocial. Bonus is he was raised with three littermates, and he spent the first 10 days or so of life with his real mom.

So I guess what I'm asking is, in your experiences, what kind of pets do bottle raised babies make? Do they get along with your other cats? How are they with people?

Kay
03-06-2010, 11:15 AM
I totally disagree. All the kittens that I have hand-reared have been exceptionally human orientated due the excessive amount of bonded involved with bottle feeding. They have never had any issues with intergrating into their new families or any issues at all with normal cat behaviour. Litter training has never been an issue in fact I have had mother reared kittens at the same time as hand reared and the ones raised by the mother have been slower to litter train. Of course all this doesn't happen naturally and a lot of work is involved in playing, litter training etc.

I have kept mother reared and hand reared kittens and generally the hand reared are the more loving and sociable. To me this makes sense as they are handled from birth or very soon after on an extremely regular basis, every 2 hours day and night, which is far more than I handle kittens that are being reared by their mum. They are so much more relaxed with humans.

I have a litter of 3 kittens at the moment that are being fed by me they are all extremely affectionate, rubbing their heads against me when they are picked up and snuggling in to my chest while they are being fed. Real softees.

pinklizzy
03-06-2010, 05:50 PM
I agree with Kay, my hand-reared babies were always very much people-orientated. The only 'issue' we had was the association of hands with food and being fed and a couple were quite mouthy in play, but they soon outgrew this and were just the biggest cuddle-monsters!
One thing I made a conscious effort to do was to introduce an element of frustration to feeding-naturally mum will sometimes get up and move away while babies are feeding, kittens fight over teats etc. Hand reared babies can become so used to being fed on demand and until they are full that they don't experience that feeling of frustration. I would just break up feeds by a few minutes at a time to try and introduce them to this experience.
Having said that though, I don't think I know a single cat that will wait patiently for food when hungry!

Kobster
04-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Thanks. Thats very reassuring. Ninja has been handled lots from about ten days old. He was doing great with his litter training until he went to stay up at the clinic in the adoption room. Maybe when he comes home again, he'll pick it back up?

Kay
04-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Any changes can effect a kittens toileting habits and I would say this has probably happened in this case. The least amount of changes in a kittens life the better and I have to say the 'adoption room' sounds a little bit clinical. Is there no way the kittens can be rehomed from the fosterers? This would make things a lot easier, and less stressful for the kittens. Also the fosterer has more idea what the individual kittens personalities are like which is always helpful.

I am sure when Ninja comes back to you he will settle down but you will have to be patient as it is yet another move in his young life. Good luck and we will look forward to some pics

Kim
04-06-2010, 07:42 PM
We hand reared 3 kittens from 2 1/2 weeks old, and kept 2 of them, my mum & dad had the 3rd. All were exceptionally friendly and loving and all lived to ripe old ages, they didn't have any particular health issues either.

Kobster
06-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Good to know. Two kittens were adopted this weekend. So just Ninja and one other left. I'm still debating pros and cons, but I think if he's still there on Wednesday, I'll bring him back home. I just don't want him to miss the chance to live in his meant to be home, just in case I'm not meant to be his mom. I'm a little superstitious and believe in signs.

Kobster
07-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Bought some kitten food today....I think my mind has made itself up and just hasn't told me yet.

Kobster
08-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Bringing Ninja home in the morning! SO excited! Kitten pictures to come!