PDA

View Full Version : Introducing two new boys

Isobel
02-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I've been told about two young cats needing a home together as their owner thinks it unfair for them to live in his flat without a garden (wish he'd thought of that in the first place, but there you go :roll: )
Anyway, my heart is saying yes, they are lovely kittens, neutered and fully vaccinated, my existing female cat is spayed, and they do have access to the garden through a cat flap, so if they have minor spats, they can run off and give each other space. I'm just thinking that world war 3 could start. For the past nine-ten months, the female cat Jess has been living alone with me, has got used to the dogs, but with no other cats. How would I go about introducing them?

angieh
02-06-2010, 07:50 PM
What a dilemma! I would be doubly careful of introducing 2 already bonded cats (I presume) to a single cat settled in her own home. I have never done this, so can't speak from any sort of experience but I would think that your existing cat would be very stressed and unsettled by it. Can't comment about the dogs.

Others with experience may have other views!

dandysmom
02-06-2010, 08:14 PM
I agree with Angie; had a disastrous experience trying to get my adult female to accept a lovely little female stray I was taking care of .... hate at first sight!

Maybe it could be done .......

yola
03-06-2010, 02:53 PM
I've had no real problems with introductions. As long as things are taken slowly and carefully managed you should be OK. It might never be kitty-love but I suspect they will (hopefully) end up tollerating each other at the very worst!

Shelley123
03-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Welcome to the forum Isobel. Trouble with intros is you dont know whether they're going to work untill you try it.
There will be fireworks at first but things could work out well. Could you perhaps offer to take the Cats on trial?
Good luck with whatever you decide, keep us posted.

Isobel
03-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Welcome to the forum Isobel. Trouble with intros is you dont know whether they're going to work untill you try it.
There will be fireworks at first but things could work out well. Could you perhaps offer to take the Cats on trial?
Good luck with whatever you decide, keep us posted.

Yes, I'm taking them on a trial basis first. If they can get to tolerating each other, then I'll be happy. But this weekend definetly isn't going to be a quiet one.

Shelley123
03-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Yes, I'm taking them on a trial basis first. If they can get to tolerating each other, then I'll be happy. But this weekend definetly isn't going to be a quiet one.

Good idea.
Expect the worst this weekend, then if things go a bit better than expected you will be pleasantly surprised.
I suppose it could take a few weeks for things to settle down.

dandysmom
03-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Good luck, Isobel, will keep my fingers crossed all goes well. Keep us posted, please.

jan
03-06-2010, 10:45 PM
I would just make sure Jess has double the love and cuddles that she normally gets and try not to make too big a fuss in front of her of the new comers. I hope things work out and I think they will if you take it steadily. Jan x