PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering at Bird Sanctuary

Tink
02-06-2010, 02:33 AM
Well today I met 350 birds:shock: :lol:
I interacted hands on with about fifty of them..and only got bit twice..only one wound drawing blood (went right THROUGH my fingernail) :roll: :lol:
Ah well I guess if I was abandoned after being an impulse buy and some new lady was all up in my cage changing my water and stuff I might bite her too, LOL. I'll just take that as my initiation wound. I DO think I'll be stocking up on more hydrogen peroxide before next visit though;)
It was fun though, fascinating creatures. K was not able to come with me today but he probably will next time. I mainly cleaned out water bowls and replenished water and swept. I got a lot of complimentary whistles and funny phrases thrown at me by the parrots though so I couldn't help but laugh:-D

dandysmom
02-06-2010, 02:52 AM
Oh ouch for the bitten finger! But that sounds like a very interesting day. I didn't realize there were parrots; had assumed it was for native wild birds in need of rehab before being returned to the wild. Shows what I know! Can you take the camera next time?

Tink
02-06-2010, 03:02 AM
Oh yes it is actually a rescue just for parrots as it seems many people impulse buy and then get tired of them or don't realize the amount of work. It is a sanctuary for these birds as they are not really "adoptable" material for a shelter. She used to do adoptions but they always ended up coming back to her and she did not want to see them stressed out anymore so that is where they will live for the rest of their natural life unless there's a situation where they'd do better in a foster home.
Here is her site:
http://www.mollywood.org/aboutus.htm
I brought camera with me but was so overwhelmed I forgot to take pictures, will try to remember next visit :D
see how the beak easily punctured my fingernail? LOL :D
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/darkpixietink/004-8.jpg

angieh
02-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Ouch! That looks painful Tink. When did you last have a Tetanus shot???

Apart from that, I'm glad that you enjoyed looking after the parrots. You'll have loads to tell us about them. Yes, please don't forget the camera next time!

farthing
02-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Parrots are so intelligent it seems very easy to mess their heads up. Facinating creatures though and beautiful too. We have 2 celestial parrotlets- smaller than budgies- and they have drawn blood on me, so I sympathise- be careful.
Well done for helping out though.

Tink
03-06-2010, 02:11 AM
Yes the majority of the birds are moluccan cockatoos so rather big, she has other types as well such as macaws.
There were a lot of naked ones (self mutilators that pluck their feathers out) and I held one that was sooooo sweet. She stepped right up onto my arm and nuzzled her face in my neck :D
Here's some info on the type I'm referring to if anyone is curious
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon-crested_Cockatoo

dandysmom
03-06-2010, 02:37 AM
I found that link very interesting. Hope Elaine sees it, she parrot-sits for some, forget which sort. They are very intelligent, beautiful demanding birds, something I admire but would never want to keep.

Tink
03-06-2010, 02:38 AM
Understandable it's quite a huge commitment, wish more people would recognize that before buying them!